Gas on the rise again?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Never thought I'd see gas more expensive in NJ then NY, but it is thanks to NJ raising the tax 23 cents per gallon. And PA., I'm not sure what to make of them. They seem to be the highest in the tri state area. I live right on the border of both of those states. Use to shop in PA. and swing through NJ for the cheaper gas. No more. NY gas is actually cheaper I think by about 5 cents per gallon. Filled up yesterday for $2.41 per gallon, Carmine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yike, guess I can't believe everything the local newscasters report. That's so much worse than I would have guessed.

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
Major price hikes can be related to holiday traveling . Look at the traffic between Christmas and New Years. Two week before and after can generate a lot of revenue for road tax and profit. Motels have no problem with their quadruple rate changes plus mandatory two nite reservations when major sporting events like Nascar come to town. How about pipeline maintenance in the middle of the midwest heating season ? I am sure repairs are easier when there is two feet of frost in the ground. Were never going to be more than a captive audience.

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
Great idea, ..... Lets get to converting to an alternative fuel. I will shop for a flux capacitor, you buy or fab the metal conversion surround making sure it can withstand high temps, and another member can concentrate on the control computer / wiring. We don't need flight capability right away but reasonable range and speed is a must. Now, .... we need a four door for easy access if we get into the Uber business. I see a money maker !!!!~

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I usually have at least half to two thirds of my diesel for the year booked by now, usually in December.

Fuel for March delivery of 2017 it went like this:

September 1 1.61
October 4 1.75
November 1 1.68
December 4 1.80
Today 1.85

No delivery or tax included.

I held off booking fuel after speaking with my guy in November and again in December. He says that there is a surplus of fuel out there. Also, OPEC had their meeting and
agreed to cut production. Believe it or not, those OPEC dudes sometimes don't stick to their word. Right now, I'm betting there will be a large amount of overproducing from them and the price will come down.

Or, I screwed up and cost myself a bunch of money...............:winner:doh:dunno

Last edited:

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds about right, I don't know the tax differential between Iowa and SD but right now I can sell a transport of fuel for 1.88 but fuel was off a nickel today.

You are spot on with OPEC, they make a deal but are notorious for over shipping.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Sounds about right, I don't know the tax differential between Iowa and SD but right now I can sell a transport of fuel for 1.88 but fuel was off a nickel today.

You are spot on with OPEC, they make a deal but are notorious for over shipping.

Jeff

I added above that the prices are no tax or delivery included. The tax went up in Iowa last year, I believe a dime, which makes it .569 per gallon.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Our tax for highway is .543 and ag .023 so with freight a transport of ag fuel would be 1.8652 and highway 1.8988

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Wow, I just read where PA. has the highest gas tax in the nation. 76 cents per gallon. How lucky can you be Robert