Gas Prices Are Becoming Mind Bogling

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The Train

When the Train Wrecks who do we blame. The Engineer, republicans deal with it, democrats quit whining.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
...and we all know the Head Coach takes the first hit (usually) even though he doesn't touch the ball. But I would rather see us focus on things that we know more about, like Chevy stuff.

Politics and religion??? Sure recipes for disagreement and no hope of resolution.

just my .02

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Let's remember that gas was probably .30 a gallon in 1964, but we were probably making $300 a month.......... a mortgage payment was $70

Today at even $4.00 a gallon........ and we're making $4000 a month......

Dave

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
409 Prices Are Becoming Mind Boggling

(This is not about politics but economics...is that OK?)

OK, can we all agree on this?
Who, exactly, do we blame for the exhorbitant prices for 409 (and some 348) parts? I remember not that long ago when I bought complete 348 engines for $50-$100. Now it's $500 +.:eek: I trust we all have a mirror at home.
We want 'em (don't necessarily need them), somebody's got 'em,...... so we pay. :deal Funny how markets work. Prices respond to two things...either lower demand or increased supply. Anything else is temporary at best and equilivent to screwing with mother nature.:nono1:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Payback Time !

I don't know alot about politic's, and I don't really care to know. But, I do know right from wrong. Our military has been in Iraq, since 2003. According to a web site, that I visited, it costs $ 200 million bucks a day. Is that outrageous or what. Since our military has been providing security and rebuilding their country, while forfeiting American lives, and our tax dollars, the bill is due! It's been over 5 years. NOW it's time to pay us back. People claimed this was a war for oil. Fine. Start stamping USA on all the barrels of oil that are produced in Iraq. Load up the barges, and send it home. Right is Right. One hand should wash the other. Skip

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
supply and demand is a b@tch!! last fall i paid what seemed like a huge sum of money for a car i had to tow home. from what i have seen on E-Pay and other sources i got a GREAT deal. the thing is worth $150 in scrap metal, and that is the true worth of an old car that doesn't run. we( most all of us) are willing to pay more because we want these old jalopies.we surely don't need them.

bobs409

Administrator
(This is not about politics but economics...is that OK?)

OK, can we all agree on this?
Who, exactly, do we blame for the exhorbitant prices for 409 (and some 348) parts? I remember not that long ago when I bought complete 348 engines for $50-$100. Now it's $500 +.:eek: I trust we all have a mirror at home.
We want 'em (don't necessarily need them), somebody's got 'em,...... so we pay. :deal Funny how markets work. Prices respond to two things...either lower demand or increased supply. Anything else is temporary at best and equilivent to screwing with mother nature.:nono1:

I'd have to say it's 3 things. First off, these are very old parts and old means expensive. Secondly, these were only made for a few years a very long time ago so rarity is a factor. Thirdly, it seems the interest in the W motors is gaining so more demand. (could be those 348-409 related websites doing it!) :p

Just look at the cost of any old car today, not just 409 related. They stopped making these 60's-70's cars a long time ago. Yesterdays 4 door parts cars are going for $3,000 dollars today! (if you can find them at all. I can't find anything around here!)

I'm just glad I bought mine when I did and was smart enough to keep 'em. I sure couldn't afford them today! :eek:

Enjoy... :)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Still out there?

I maintain that good bargains are still out there. I guess the notion of a "bargain" is relative to some of us, but by that I mean "way below Ebay prices". It just takes a lot of effort and a little luck to find them, then you need to be ready with cash in hand.

Take for example the 1961 FA block (348) I purchased a few weeks' back. Totally lucky on my part (I did offer it up to you guys, but no one was interested at the time) but hopefully it will turn out OK, and the whole shebang cost me less than $500, including a tank of gas for the 409 to haul it home in the trunk. Then there was Fatride's location of that 1962 QA block with the 690 heads. I can think of other examples as well, and have several leads that I have not yet followed up on (waiting to raise the cash...).

With regards to selling I find it easier to give stuff away (although do not miscontrue this as an offer to empty my basement) than to sell it. I hate selling stuff. Usually means I've given up or (God forbid!) I need the money. When I sell something it's either to a member at my cost or to someone in the general population of 409 owners who pays a premium for my efforts. One week I sold a set of those rear dump 925/926 to a member for my cost (3 digits), the next week I sold a similar set to someone I don't know for four times that amount. So when I look in the mirror I realize I am responsible for participating in the benefits of escalating prices of these low production parts, but I try to deal with that in a healthy fashion.

Last week I told Phil Reed how someday I'm gonna "sneak up" on a 1963 Z-11 car and he laughed (I guess that is a bit preposterous, now that I think about it...). I really feel that there are bargains out there for those who are willing to look and patient in their approaches. If you need it now, you will pay a premium. That's the nature of capitalism and of supply and demand. Sad, but true.

I'm still hanging on to those six sets of 333 heads in the case that they go up from $200 a pair to some higher number :).

Sorry for the rant, just trying to spark some hope in those that don't have deep pockets. I know how that feels!

Cheers!
TomK

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I maintain that good bargains are still out there. I guess the notion of a "bargain" is relative to some of us, but by that I mean "way below Ebay prices". It just takes a lot of effort and a little luck to find them, then you need to be ready with cash in hand.

Take for example the 1961 FA block (348) I purchased a few weeks' back. Totally lucky on my part (I did offer it up to you guys, but no one was interested at the time) but hopefully it will turn out OK, and the whole shebang cost me less than $500, including a tank of gas for the 409 to haul it home in the trunk. Then there was Fatride's location of that 1962 QA block with the 690 heads. I can think of other examples as well, and have several leads that I have not yet followed up on (waiting to raise the cash...).

With regards to selling I find it easier to give stuff away (although do not miscontrue this as an offer to empty my basement) than to sell it. I hate selling stuff. Usually means I've given up or (God forbid!) I need the money. When I sell something it's either to a member at my cost or to someone in the general population of 409 owners who pays a premium for my efforts. One week I sold a set of those rear dump 925/926 to a member for my cost (3 digits), the next week I sold a similar set to someone I don't know for four times that amount. So when I look in the mirror I realize I am responsible for participating in the benefits of escalating prices of these low production parts, but I try to deal with that in a healthy fashion.

Last week I told Phil Reed how someday I'm gonna "sneak up" on a 1963 Z-11 car and he laughed (I guess that is a bit preposterous, now that I think about it...). I really feel that there are bargains out there for those who are willing to look and patient in their approaches. If you need it now, you will pay a premium. That's the nature of capitalism and of supply and demand. Sad, but true.

I'm still hanging on to those six sets of 333 heads in the case that they go up from $200 a pair to some higher number :).

Sorry for the rant, just trying to spark some hope in those that don't have deep pockets. I know how that feels!

Cheers!
TomK

Well, Tom. I've been trying to "sneek up" on a loner 690 for about a year now.
Guess I'm not beeing "sneeky" enough! Or, maybe I need to get-out & mingle
more, I don't know. True, you have to be in the right place, at the right time.
I've had 3 guy's contact me thru my ad (internet) wanting to buy MY head !:bang
I think the better deals are NOT found on the net. But people that are not internet
user's are finding out about the rising prices for "09" parts.

Oh yeah, and then there's the rising fuel cost's, food, utilities, blah,blah, blah.
Sorry, just couldn't help that little out-burst!:cuss
The good ol' USA is in deep do-do. Oh, I sure do miss the good ol' day's (middle
60's). I was a kid, and street racing was really hot around here. Muscle cars,
Sunnoco 260, the Beatles. There, I feel better now !:)

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Reg. unleaded is just a tich over $3.00 here in mn. and diesel is around $3.50
I was going to sell my motorcycle but I think I will keep it now. Who is at fault in the govt. area They all are, Everyone of them polititions get into office and then bail on the consumer and worry about their own butts and forget about us. I just don't buy as much any more, The truck sits and I get buy driving a beater.

I will still drive my 63 but just not on any long trips I have heard that 3 years from now in an article gas will be around 2.50 we will see.

Speed

Supporting Member 1
It'll be ok..The Good Old USA is alive & well...

We've all been through tougher times than this.

( These words of wisdom from someone who made his living drag racing for a long time*...Economics 101 escaped me...Thank God)

* I still give thanks to the many sponsors, friends who made it possible

As long as gas is available, we'll be fine........

in my opinion

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
One thing I find interesting is how the second crude goes up, gas prices go up. Around me, a gas station isn't allowed to increase its prices more than $.20 every six hours or so.

oil has been going down steadily since Monday:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=USO&t=5d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

how have gas prices been in your area since Monday:
http://www.gasbuddy.com/

The same, right?

the problem with gas prices is mainly excessive greed. A little greed is good, but in excess....

a smart man told me once that "everything in life is politics...the sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be." If you owned a gas station, or were a gas supplier, would you lower your price as fast as you raised it? No. Because you'd go out of business while your competition raked in the cash. You would only lower it enough to be competitive. That's greed...and it's good because it keeps you in business.

What's got gas so high these days? Mostly because the US can't name its price like it used to. As has been said, European countries have been paying these prices for decades because they don't have the consumers. Secondly, price speculation. Oil comes from unstable regions. Oil companies make us pay for the possibility of a supply shortage from outbreak of war.

Oil has been going down since Monday because the high prices created a surplus. high price = less demand, surplus = more supply.

sidenote: raising interest rates would DESTROY the economy. Lower dollar means more exports, more exports means less factories moving to mexico. Higher interest rates means less money for US companies to borrow to keep their businesses running...prime example: today Borders books is up for sale and is blaming the lack of profits on lack of money to keep up inventory(don't know how true it is, but) believe me, the government WANTS to raise interest rates, they just can't do it yet.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't know alot about politic's, and I don't really care to know. But, I do know right from wrong. Our military has been in Iraq, since 2003. According to a web site, that I visited, it costs $ 200 million bucks a day. Is that outrageous or what. Since our military has been providing security and rebuilding their country, while forfeiting American lives, and our tax dollars, the bill is due! It's been over 5 years. NOW it's time to pay us back. People claimed this was a war for oil. Fine. Start stamping USA on all the barrels of oil that are produced in Iraq. Load up the barges, and send it home. Right is Right. One hand should wash the other. Skip

Now that you brought this up I`ll add my $.02 !!!

This is not a poor country we are helping.
Poor in the sense of the word that they have no resources.
They have HUGE reserves of oil.
Don`t you think it would be right for them to pay their way?
Why should the USA go into debt to help them when they can afford to pay us back for spending the trillions of dollars to secure their nation?
I`m all for helping out other countries but why do we have to put the burden on our economy?

I say give them thirty days to pay up or we pack our bags and go home !!!!!

Plain and simple,,,,

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
Now that you brought this up I`ll add my $.02 !!!

This is not a poor country we are helping.
Poor in the sense of the word that they have no resources.
They have HUGE reserves of oil.
Don`t you think it would be right for them to pay their way?
Why should the USA go into debt to help them when they can afford to pay us back for spending the trillions of dollars to secure their nation?
I`m all for helping out other countries but why do we have to put the burden on our economy?

I say give them thirty days to pay up or we pack our bags and go home !!!!!

Plain and simple,,,,

best idea yet!!:D