Gas Prices

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My AMF was almost flawless. A '72 XLH Sportster. It had a factory paint job on it that no one could believe for starters. While everyone of my rice rocket friends were trying to get theirs going again after a rest stop, one quick hit of the button and I was ready to go. My '74 XLCH (kick start) same way, one or two kicks was all it needed. Really liked that Bendix Carb and don't know why they ever got rid of it. Rode the '72 for 8 1/2 years. The '74 I took in on a trade for a truck and didn't keep it long, but that one was also just about flawless. The '72 had long Chrome Straight Pipes and I played music all over town with it, lol. If I were still riding and could buy another '72 in low mile original condition, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
I am in the process of restoring my 72 XLCH that I bought new. Its still fairly original except for some chrome plating that I did through the years. Lately I have been on eBay hunting parts to replace the ones I chrome plated. My bike was Sparkling Burgundy which was a candy color and I will put it back the same, my goal is to make it the same way it was the day I picked it up at Widman Harley Davidson in June of 72.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If you haven't looked up values on that bike yet Phil I believe you'll be dissapointed when you do. It's a buyer's market, especially for Sportsters. I built my 80 inch 1970 sporty with S&S wheels and Dytch cylinders. Dytch was in Des Moines at that time. Supposedly had 100 hp. Sifton cams and S&S carb. 12" over raked front end and damn near went over backwards in second more than once.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I am in the process of restoring my 72 XLCH that I bought new. Its still fairly original except for some chrome plating that I did through the years. Lately I have been on eBay hunting parts to replace the ones I chrome plated. My bike was Sparkling Burgundy which was a candy color and I will put it back the same, my goal is to make it the same way it was the day I picked it up at Widman Harley Davidson in June of 72.

I did the same thing with my '72. I had some bolt on chrome goodies as well as a chromed chain guard, along with a hog rear wheel. Before I put it up for sale, I put it back to pure stock. Although believe it or not I could not find the original type black chain guard anywhere. Had to leave the chrome one on. Mine was black. The paint job that I mentioned above that no one would believe it was factory. Of course most people said I waxed it more than I rode it, lol. I bought mine 6 months old. It was said to be the last '72 out of the dealership, built in August of '72. I bought in February of '73. Still remember the mileage. Had 2153 miles on it when I got it. The guy I bought it from kept it immaculate. To this date, it's the newest vehicle of any kind that I bought that new, lol. Sold it to a friend who sold it to another friend of ours. Last I heard he still has it, although I have lost contact with him.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I did the same thing with my '72. I had some bolt on chrome goodies as well as a chromed chain guard, along with a hog rear wheel. Before I put it up for sale, I put it back to pure stock. Although believe it or not I could not find the original type black chain guard anywhere. Had to leave the chrome one on. Mine was black. The paint job that I mentioned above that no one would believe it was factory. Of course most people said I waxed it more than I rode it, lol. I bought mine 6 months old. It was said to be the last '72 out of the dealership, built in August of '72. I bought in February of '73. Still remember the mileage. Had 2153 miles on it when I got it. The guy I bought it from kept it immaculate. To this date, it's the newest vehicle of any kind that I bought that new, lol. Sold it to a friend who sold it to another friend of ours. Last I heard he still has it, although I have lost contact with him.
What color was it?

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With my rewards points from Bel Air supermarket, today I paid $2.04. Lowest I have paid in many years.

bobs409

Administrator
I got to "experience" $1.94 as the lowest. I took most of my toys out for a full tank treatment during this anyway. They are all gassed up and ready for some serious cruising! :driver

Even one of my insurance company's gave me some money back. (Allstate) I got $10 in April and another this month! Wow, imagine that! An insurance company GIVING money back is about as rare as an honest politician. (the rarest of all)

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got to "experience" $1.94 as the lowest. I took most of my toys out for a full tank treatment during this anyway. They are all gassed up and ready for some serious cruising! :driver

Even one of my insurance company's gave me some money back. (Allstate) I got $10 in April and another this month! Wow, imagine that! An insurance company GIVING money back is about as rare as an honest politician. (the rarest of all)

Wow, $10 dollars. That sure is giving back, NOT.! I have 4 cars. I am the only driver in my household. They sit most of the time. The virus didn't change anything for those cars. I should have their so called discount year around, yet......crickets.. $10 bucks is not giving back or them being concerned for anyone. Just my opinion. Glad you got something, however it should have been half of your monthly premium.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Diesel fuel still $2.25. I don’t look at gas because don’t use it but was less than $2.00. If the dragstrip ever opens I’ll probably buy a couple gallons for the 61 409 and that will go through the show season and winter.
Robert

bobs409

Administrator
Wow, $10 dollars. That sure is giving back, NOT.! I have 4 cars. I am the only driver in my household. They sit most of the time. The virus didn't change anything for those cars. I should have their so called discount year around, yet......crickets.. $10 bucks is not giving back or them being concerned for anyone. Just my opinion. Glad you got something, however it should have been half of your monthly premium.

I guess I better explain. That is just 2 of my cars and it's only liability so I don't pay very much to start with. It's $10 in April and $10 in May so if my high school education did any good, that's $20. :laugh2 The way I understand it, it is supposed to be 15% of your bill?

The rest of my cars are on with Hagerty and they won't be giving any refunds. :D