Gas Prices

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dave comments: "Don't like things setting around than I probably won't use much. "

I'm quite the opposite, I seem to be incapable of parting with anything. I guess there's the hope that "someday I'll fix that one up" ???

I think it's been 35 years since my Bultaco has run, but that didn't stop me from buying an HEI setup to replace the old magneto that gave up it's spark :).

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dave....don't take this wrong!!!!!! I'm doing what you are doing. I've collected all my life and now I'm starting to sell off a lot of stuff. I used to buy Candy a milk bottle every swap meet I went to. After about 15-20 she said that's enough. I didn't believe her!!!! Now she has about 225!!!! Baby faces cream top and everything. Started with the Springfield swap meet. Russ made me do it!!!
Then the Hallmark Christmas tree ornaments. My little sister gave me the first one from Hallmark. It was a red 57 Corvette.!!!!!! We have most of the cars, train engines, Harley Davidsons motorcycles and some trucks.
And then my pride and joy....my Mickey Mantle and New York Yankees collection!!!! That one will be tough!!!! Don't need to keep it and then Candy and our 2 daughters would be lost!!!! I idolized the Yankees in the 50's 60s. I have some autographs.
Since I was 110 on my last birthday.....guess it's time!!!! I have 5 grandsons and would not even begin to divide things evenly!!!!! Plus I want a red/red 62 Corvette!!!!!!!!

Clint

Well Known Member
Dave....don't take this wrong!!!!!! I'm doing what you are doing. I've collected all my life and now I'm starting to sell off a lot of stuff. I used to buy Candy a milk bottle every swap meet I went to. After about 15-20 she said that's enough. I didn't believe her!!!! Now she has about 225!!!! Baby faces cream top and everything. Started with the Springfield swap meet. Russ made me do it!!!
Then the Hallmark Christmas tree ornaments. My little sister gave me the first one from Hallmark. It was a red 57 Corvette.!!!!!! We have most of the cars, train engines, Harley Davidsons motorcycles and some trucks.
And then my pride and joy....my Mickey Mantle and New York Yankees collection!!!! That one will be tough!!!! Don't need to keep it and then Candy and our 2 daughters would be lost!!!! I idolized the Yankees in the 50's 60s. I have some autographs.
Since I was 110 on my last birthday.....guess it's time!!!! I have 5 grandsons and would not even begin to divide things evenly!!!!! Plus I want a red/red 62 Corvette!!!!!!!!
Mickey and the Yankees have always been my favorite!!

62BillT

Well Known Member
And with all the bad mouthing, ( I did it too ) about AMF, they with Porsche, started that engine that helped Harley survive.

My AMF was almost flawless. A '72 XLH Sportster. It had a factory paint job on it that no one could believe for starters. While everyone of my rice rocket friends were trying to get theirs going again after a rest stop, one quick hit of the button and I was ready to go. My '74 XLCH (kick start) same way, one or two kicks was all it needed. Really liked that Bendix Carb and don't know why they ever got rid of it. Rode the '72 for 8 1/2 years. The '74 I took in on a trade for a truck and didn't keep it long, but that one was also just about flawless. The '72 had long Chrome Straight Pipes and I played music all over town with it, lol. If I were still riding and could buy another '72 in low mile original condition, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Lets not get started on those Hallmark Christmas tree ornaments. My wife has most, and the red plastic containers to hold them in. I didn't complain because I spend money too, however, DAMN...…… and for the most part they sit not being used. She too, like me and others are starting to get rid of things. Try selling, or even giving away those Hallmark ornaments.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My brother had a new XLCH in 1973. HD knew they had a batch of bad bearings in the transmissions. His broke in warranty. Broke the trap door. HD said parts only warranty. Piss poor air filter it came with and gravel roads it needed rebore in less than a year. Then he got a 1974 superglide. It came with a alarm system mounted on the taillight. Vibrated the taillight assembly out of the fender.
Dave's knuck reminds me of one that got away. I knew some kids through 4H. Their dad had a knuck. Brush paint job, run but smoked bad. I asked about buying it a few times but was told "Not for sale". Later 1970s one of the boys showed up with a new HD. I asked about the knuck. He happily said the dealer gave them $500 for the old bike. I called the dealer and they sold it the same day it came in for $5000. That was pretty high at that time but I probably would have done $2500 or so then.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Damn Tom..... just damn

My Knuck doesn't smoke too bad and Is for sale...when I get around to it. Will be a sad day when it goes down the road...:rolleyes

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Long story Bill. I lost my very best friend last June. Horrible case of bladder cancer. He asked me to help his wife sell his possessions.
He left it totally stock except the seat. Nothing changed on the Sportster except the engine!!! It was a 1000cc engine that has S&S stroker flywheels along with 84" S&S cylinders. And he has NOS 87" barrels in the basement!!!!
In a week or so I will be taking the bike over to the Harley-Davidson dealer for all new rubber lines, new front tire and new 16" tire on the rear. It's Bob's wife and my wish to make the Sportster as safe as possible to ride any where.
I'll have some pictures in about 2 weeks or so. We have not settled on any pricing.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Damn Tom..... just damn

My Knuck doesn't smoke too bad and Is for sale...when I get around to it. Will be a sad day when it goes down the road...:rolleyes
I'd like to have one but the money's not around to do it. I have a bunch of motorcycles now but my back is too screwed up to ride.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jeff......send Dave the money and I'll pick it up for you and store here until you can get down and pick it up for you!!!!!
No need to thank me!!!!!!!

Yea, and I am sure the mileage would be exactly as it left Dave's. Because you would unhook the speedo an run the heck out of it. Seriously, I just missed a day of work because I could barely walk after repairing my water main. I would seriously love to have that bike. Unfortunately Dave doesn't need to sell it, so it will never hit a price that I can live with to watch it sit in my garage :doh

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
You are wrong Jeff!!! Since I had surgery on my right year.......I do not have ANY balance on my right side. That's why Candy and I traded in her 2009 Street Glide and my 2009 Ultra. I could tell this wasn't going to be a good outcome. So we got a 2016 Tri-Glide to solve the problem.
I just think it would good in my shop!!!! Until you came and picked it up!!!!!!

PS. .......I can't fall over on the Tri-Glide!!!!!!!!