General opinion

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I get why date codes would matter and add value to a car with VIN matching block, but I'm struggling with why it would matter with a clone car, would it make a clone car more valuable to have correct date codes?
In my opinion it does. Auction results prove it out whether it’s a 409 car, mustang, corvette, etc. I think it’s even more so with a 409 car. There just is really no good way to authenticate these cars without a matching block or even more rare documents. It seems most restored 409 cars have neither which means to me that they might as well be clones. And when looking at clones, the more accurate and detailed will bring more dollars.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In my opinion it does. Auction results prove it out whether it’s a 409 car, mustang, corvette, etc. I think it’s even more so with a 409 car. There just is really no good way to authenticate these cars without a matching block or even more rare documents. It seems most restored 409 cars have neither which means to me that they might as well be clones. And when looking at clones, the more accurate and detailed will bring more dollars.
Odd as it sounds, many resto mods bring more money than restored cars.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
No matter what the car and powertrain, one with a matching number engine/trans will have a premium price tag and it should. These 409 cars were made with engines built to go fast and more than likely were abused some in their 60+ year existence. They were only made from late '61 through mid '65. I have seen 409 engines being advertised for up to $25K rebuilt. Don't know if they get that for them but they try. I think $10 - $15k is a common ask.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The original air cleaners I've seen on 409's had 16, small blocks 15 and if original the dimples were over the top and down the sides a bit. The 400hp version from Show Cars the dimples were only on top but otherwise very nice.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
No matter what the car and powertrain, one with a matching number engine/trans will have a premium price tag and it should. These 409 cars were made with engines built to go fast and more than likely were abused some in their 60+ year existence. They were only made from late '61 through mid '65. I have seen 409 engines being advertised for up to $25K rebuilt. Don't know if they get that for them but they try. I think $10 - $15k is a common ask.
If you don’t consider the cost of the block 10 K’s the bottom I’d say 15+

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have one with 16 dimples and a 2 bbl base. From a 67 Nova SS.
Is the lid the same as an 09?
Bob Walla

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Equal condition and equipped cars in demand colors. an original engine numbers matching car will be worth more from what I have observed.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I like both. I have done a couple GTOs and 2 first gen Blazers stock and enjoyed building them correct. My 63 has been kept stock except for a few things that I am removing. M’y ‘59 Elky is far from original and I like that it has FI and lots of upgrades. I enjoy driving both. Can’t see me doing another full restoration on anything else. Too old and don’t have the stamina to do it.

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
All opinions can be construed as valid, however regardless of all the opinions, in my first frame off restoration of this 63' Belair, I painstakingly tried to acquire as many "date and number correct parts", not to impose it was something it wasn't, but just for the f*****g fun of it all. The "excitement and fun" of learning numbers, dates and what was done at the factories was what got my heart pumping. Just another "opinion"! :winner

Attachments

• IMG_3303.JPG
    IMG_3303.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 16

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I meant to post this picture the frame off restoration. (showing off here). The race engine wasn't ready for our Bowling Green (2015?) meet so I pulled the 425 hp off the frame, put it in the 62' Belair. I wasn't going to miss that meet, come hell or high water!

Attachments

• IMG_3330.JPG
    IMG_3330.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 30