General opinion

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you were doing a correct assembly line restoration of an original or a clone, then yes those dates make a big difference. It’s those details that really make a difference in value. That goes for small details like the correct dates on the radiator side bands and wheel cylinders. Ever wonder why one car sells for 60k and one with equally nice fit and finish and overall correct look goes for 80k? It’s the details. So for a 6 cyl body, it wouldn’t make a difference because it wouldn’t even be a correct clone. To the right person doing the right restoration those dates would mean a ton in my opinion. For a driver/resto mod/hot rod? Nope.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
63 Biscayne 6 cylinder VIN 1111 now a 409/400hp tremec 6 speed still 6 cylinder VIN :drinking

I enjoy the car and everyone that knows what a 409 is does too :drinking
What can you tell me about the air cleaner lid? Original, repop ??
Jeff

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Try to see the big picture. Where and exactly when some 60 year old lump of iron originated is absolutely meaningless today and means less every day. Trying to convince someone to give you more $$ for something that is "numbers matching" or somehow "rare" is a game for retired car salesmen or TV clowns. I have a lot more respect for those guys who are trying to squeeze out a few more HP out of an obsolete piece, or just making the best out of what they have and can afford to play with.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What can you tell me about the air cleaner lid? Original, repop ??
Jeff
I'm not trying to be a dick but I count 15 dimples on your air cleaner and 15 on my 300/327 which I believe to be original...how did you find the extra dimple or am I missing something here...

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Real deal with 16 dimples :drinking
I count 15
I'm not trying to be a dick but I count 15 dimples on your air cleaner and 15 on my 300/327 which I believe to be original...how did you find the extra dimple or am I missing something here...
The lids I have seen with 16 dimples have one right over the top of the right hand snorkel. I have posed this 15/16 dimple question before and the only answer I got was different suppliers to GM. I am of the opinion one version (15 dimples) is L79 apps and the other ( 16 dimples) is 400hp 409, but I have been wrong before! Why GM did this is a very good question. It's hard to believe there were enough of these engines built to need 2 vendors.
Jeff

427John

Well Known Member
I get why date codes would matter and add value to a car with VIN matching block, but I'm struggling with why it would matter with a clone car, would it make a clone car more valuable to have correct date codes?

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I get why date codes would matter and add value to a car with VIN matching block, but I'm struggling with why it would matter with a clone car, would it make a clone car more valuable to have correct date codes?
Personally, I don't think so. Especially if your building a vin specific 6 cylinder car.
Jeff

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I count 15

The lids I have seen with 16 dimples have one right over the top of the right hand snorkel. I have posed this 15/16 dimple question before and the only answer I got was different suppliers to GM. I am of the opinion one version (15 dimples) is L79 apps and the other ( 16 dimples) is 400hp 409, but I have been wrong before! Why GM did this is a very good question. It's hard to believe there were enough of these engines built to need 2 vendors.
Jeff

Your right 15 dimples, I remember back when Phil was talking about real deal and supposedly this air cleaner was correct for the 400 hp. It came with the car :drinking

Attachments

• 1963-chevrolet-biscaynea.jpg
    1963-chevrolet-biscaynea.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 14

Shaark92

Well Known Member
I’m no oracle on this, but I’ve been around it a bit more recently ... a VIN’d W would certainly be worth more ... a “survivor” ... but in my own Vette experience, that starts getting really tough to maintain for a car that sees the wild road ... for various reasons.

I had a C5Z but then got caught in a flash flood and hydra locked that LS6. Bought a “lift out(?)” on eBay. It was a good buy/install. Ran great, then totaled when I had to run it with hard rubber tires briefly .. (turned out to be one day too many, tire shop was scheduled for the next day)

I’d think a non-numbers match, but correct otherwise as you’ve offered, would be worth more than the VIN’d powertrain. As a wanna be W owner, I could be biased, though. If my Polly were a two-door, I’d prolly have made the jump. Polly lost numbers match in ‘85 when we installed 327 heads on the 283. (Had a couple valve guides need more work than the reworked 327 heads.). ... and back then , I didn’t know “numbers match” was even a thing. All I knew was that 283 was getting more power.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Verne Frantz once told me that the only things that tell you it's a real 409 car are, a window sticker, build sheet or some other pedigree documentation. Because the trim tag doesn't and the blocks can be re-stamped. Other parts can be aftermarket or used, don't matter. But make yourself happy. They'll never know at the car show or racetrack, if that's your thing. Go with the more cost effective engine. LA Hot Rods is right on price. Our desire pushes the price of this stuff out of range.
Except when it has a 6 cyl VIN

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I count 15

Jeff
I will guess that GM never wanted to have only one vendor for any part, if that ONE vendor had trouble they could shut down GM's production. Plus multiple vendors creates competition enabling GM to get better pricing.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will guess that GM never wanted to have only one vendor for any part, if that ONE vendor had trouble they could shut down GM's production. Plus multiple vendors creates competition enabling GM to get better pricing.
Good point, and I suppose if the 2 lids were easily identifiable (15/16 indents) there would be no question who made it if there was a problem.
Jeff