GM & Chrysler merger

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just saw on CNBC out here in SanFran that the leaders of these companies are beginning merger talks. I suspect life as we have known it all these years may be about to change. This is going to be an interesting merger. Wonder what the fallout will be with this?:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
It won't affect me in the least. Neither has made a decent car in over 30 years. :roll Besides, everyone is brainwashed now anyhow, everyone wants a Toyota. :cry

William

Supporting Member 1
GM & Chrysler merge !!! ???

Does that mean we will get a Camaro or Corvette with 426 hemi ? William::yawn::yawn:

I think it means that:

Chrysler will lose it's styling edge

GM will lose it's quality

ah yes
good things on the horizon ( pun intended... they'll probably re-introduce that pile of junk:roll )

482STROKER

Well Known Member
I for one hope it does not happen, I loved all the trash talking when I was in school between all the GM and Dodge guys, it was all in fun, each made some bad *** cars, and Ford as well, my first car was a 1962 Ford Galaxie with the 406 and factory 4-speed, wish I still had that car today, I really like how the Camaro is coming back with some serious power and the Challenger as well, I think Ford going back to the earlier Mustang body style started the rivalry again, when I was in high school we had a parking lot full of muscle cars, Mustangs, Dusters, Firebirds, I remember a guy that had a white 63 Impala SS with a 340 horse 409, another friend of mine had a 70 Cuda with a 440 and that was the fastest car around, he spanked everybody with that car, another friend bought his 67 GTO convert when he was 15 for $1500 and still has that car today 35 years later, that is brand loyalty at its finest, Steve

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
If it happens, it won't be a good thing.:eek: Thousands of people will be out of work and many cars will be gone, not to mention dealerships. With everything else going on, with the economy, the last thing it needs is thousands more on unemployment.:nono1:What does GM expect to get, out of a merger? They will be taking on a company with major quality control problems.:doh

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It won't affect me in the least. Neither has made a decent car in over 30 years. Besides, everyone is brainwashed now anyhow, everyone wants a Toyota.

I don't buy new vehicles very often. Until now it has always been Chevrolet. In the last 10 years myself and my kids have all been burnt by leaking intake gaskets taking out engines, $1000 fuel pump bills, etc. etc....... Not to mention the lack of warranty service & the hassels trying to get something fixed........

I'm sorry guys but I did buy a Toyota this time, it's over a year old and hasn't been back for anything...... it's a great car, better that any of the newer Chevy's in our family....... GM should pay attention !!! They could take back their market share if they would build a compareable car. I personally would pay more for a GM than an import but will not accept a poor product.

If they merge I think the monster they create will go down..........

Dave

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
toyota?

For years I have heard how good the Toyota line has been and in particular the Tacoma. So when I retired I figured I would get a decent good truck and purchased a v6 Tacoma a/t extended cab. I have had nothing but heart ache with this truck since then. First the fan blower switch burnt out on a 4 degree day. Had to leave that with them for two days till the part came. Then I noticed oil deposited in fresh snow in my drive way. Front seal bad! Had to leave it this time for four days while they removed the engine and trans to replace the seal. Meanwhile, I noticed as did three other drivers of the vehicle that at 25 to 30 there was a noticeable vibration in the drive train. The excuse I got was that it was becasue Toyota strecthed the frame for the extended cab and it was typical of this vehicle! I escalated this to the regional level in Boston and Toyota sent up a field engineer who determined that my vehicle and the three new ones on the lot all acted in the same manner and that Toyota's position was that this was rotational vibration and the consumer must live with it! AT 65 mph on the interstate this truck sounds like it is about to drop a u joint and they say there is nothing wrong!!
Then there is the surge when the ac compressor kicks in which, if you are not careful, can cause you to hit the guy in front of you so you learn to keep your foot firmly planted on the brake pedal when stopped. And with checking with NHSTA I find that I am not alone with my complaints.
Guess there has been occasions (quite documented) of the vehicles going into WOT and causing severe accidents. All of this and Toyota has never taken the responsibilty for any of it!
So my faith in most new car manufacturers has been permanately damaged. Doubt I will ever buy a new vehicle again and I am going to unload this new truck as soon as I can:bang:bang:cuss:cuss

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well there's a good example of Toyota building a poor vehicle....... Maybe all the manufacturers think we, the public will accept a sub standard product for our hard earned dollars !!!!

Dave

HHMMM... I too, swore I would never buy a new vehicle. well, this spring, my wife pointed out how embarassing it is to drive around in this black, rusty, 90 Buick Skylark ( yes Ronnie... that's really mine:beerbang ).

So, we decided to make a responsible purchase.
We ordered in ( to our local GM dealer ) a 2008 Cobalt ( "Cobbler", as my wife calls it )... NO options, base engine, 5 speed manual.
In Imperial measurements... on the sticker, GM claims the car gets 48 MPG.
yeah, whatever...
I'd be fine with 40-44.

We've been monitoring highway fuel economy. The best this car ever does on an average highway trip, is 37. It averages 34-35. It could NEVER get above 42... no matter WHAT the conditions.

Yes, it was pretty exciting to buy a new car ( everything we have, is junk )
But this car is NOT what it's claimed to be.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Money

If it happens, it won't be a good thing.:eek: Thousands of people will be out of work and many cars will be gone, not to mention dealerships. With everything else going on, with the economy, the last thing it needs is thousands more on unemployment.:nono1:What does GM expect to get, out of a merger? They will be taking on a company with major quality control problems.:doh
GM hopes to get Dodges 11 billion cash reserves. GM, like everyone else, is having trouble borrowing money. We are in big trouble

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
GM stock crashing. Not enough liquidity to last until Jan. 1,2009. Very serious situation. Who knows??

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Only benefit i can think of is that i could run a Dana 60 rear in my camaro ! [ NHRA allows a corporate rear end ] :dunno

It would make Mopar & Amc cars 1st &2nd cousins by merger to GM cars! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: That would make a really strange family!

Maybe i could get some chrome jackstands now ,:roll:roll:roll:

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It won't affect me in the least. Neither has made a decent car in over 30 years. :roll Besides, everyone is brainwashed now anyhow, everyone wants a Toyota. :cry

I know that some people have had some problems with new domestic cars but there are problems with with the Jap and German cars to. I for one have bought nothing but GM cars for the past 25 years and I can honestly say that I have not been burned yet. Sure there are some problems but nothing major and nothing that the dealer hasn't taken care of for me. With the condition that our economy is in I canno't even imagine concidering buying anything that would help flush it even further into the abis:takethat

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
If the GM - Chrysler merger does go through, it will put a new twist, on bench racing.:dunno :roll

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This morning, the Chrysler CEO was quoted as saying, there was never a serious discussion involving merging with GM. This morning he said, no chance of that happening. :dunno

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Gm

HMMMMMMMM. Toyota has about 52 billion in reserve. I wonder, do you think Toyota might take a shot at purchasing GM?:dunno

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Toyota, wouldn't have to think twice.:brow I don't think GM would ever let that happen.:dunno At least I hope not.:doh