Going price for a 348 block?

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If I could just come up with a buildable block, I am sure I could come up with the rest. I actually have a std bore rotating assembly for a 409 with a fresh crank, original forged 11:1 pistons (with a few spares) and a set of rods. The only block I have is a 348 truck block that was bored to standard 409 bore size. The man I bought it all from (about 10 years ago) said it passed sonic check after the overbore. Everyone on here said there is no way that could be correct or that it will live so I never put it together. Sometimes I think I should just do a half fill with some block filler and throw it together and let it rip for as long as it lasts. LOL

A sonic test doesn't cost much, why wouldn't you take it and have it checked?

Bill

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Wasn't it brought up about 348 bore and numbers on 409 blocks, or something of that sort?

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
+ .125 has been done, but + .187 ??

I know it is not a W engine but I have a 65 396 with a bore of4.310 which is .216 overbore and the sonic test show good. I haven't had any problem with it but certainly wouldn't want it to overheat.
Like most of these engines, it would depend on the pour and as I understand it some of the late 348 engines had thick cylinder walls. I do agree that it is a lot and I wouldn't make a big investment in parts but he already has a set of useable pistons?
Bill

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know it is not a W engine but I have a 65 396 with a bore of4.310 which is .216 overbore and the sonic test show good. I haven't had any problem with it but certainly wouldn't want it to overheat.
Like most of these engines, it would depend on the pour and as I understand it some of the late 348 engines had thick cylinder walls. I do agree that it is a lot and I wouldn't make a big investment in parts but he already has a set of useable pistons?
Bill

My father's 69 Bel Air two door has a 1969 passenger car 396 two bolt block in it that has been bored to 4.250" and has a 454 rotating assembly in it. We didn't build the engine, but bought it from a friend who had ran it on his airboat for years. It spent most of it's life at wide open throttle around 2800 rpm. The prop acted like a rev limiter. I doubt it ever got close to hot in the wide open space on that boat and flying down the river.

The 348 truck block I have is a 1961 block, so not one of the later ones.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A sonic test doesn't cost much, why wouldn't you take it and have it checked?

Bill

I called all the machine shops in a 50 mile radius I could about 8 years ago and no one did sonic checking. Maybe someone does now. I guess I need to call around again.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
He's been looking at one the guy says does not have block holes, I've just never paid any attention to 348s that close before.

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Farmers in the mid west still have a few grain trucks with 348' or 409's in them.
They are not easy to find because they are back in a grove of trees or in a building that they don't use much anymore.
I purchased my last 1964 or 1965 (7655 block) 348 for $250 and the guy wanted to keep the crank. I had it crack checked for $50 and it came back good.
Just keep looking and you'll find what you want for the price you want to pay.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I know of four car 348's that are in old trucks. I could buy them for $150 apiece (actually one is free), but by the time I hook up the trailer, load engine hoist, generator for tools, oxy-acet torch, fire estinguisher, hire a kid to help, buy fuel and food for the day, drive 3 or 4 hundred miles round trip to remove the engine, I'm in it for $600, at least. Then people often want you to almost give them the engine.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well it looks like the hunt for a good W block just got more serious for me. I found some BNIB Edelbrock parts on CL last night while I was bored and will need something to bolt them to. I'm going to start a new thread on that.

Anyway......stay off craigslist / ebay etc. when you are bored and broke. That is when the deals pop up. :doh

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Wht ever you do, before going out more than .060", sonic test it. It's not the minimum thickness so much as the concentricity of the cylinder within the cast in cylinder boss in the block. Core shift can result in a block that isn't too round or straight when the engine is under load. I got a 2 bolt main large journal 327 block that looked very good to the trained observer of potential engine cores- the cam tunnel was located dead center in the cam bearing bore bosses, the lifter bores were centered correctly in the lifter bore bosses, the thing sonic tested very concentric as to wall thicknesses in all directions, so l built the thing for my '68 Chevelle wagon stock eliminator car, and it's a holy terror. The machinist wished he had that block for his Super Stock car, he liked the way the boring machine sounded as it was being bored, and the power hone was very precise. It felt like a swiss watch as it was assembled, and the entire short block rotated with about six foot pounds of torque required to spin the crank.Filling a block is a good thing, be sure to do it BEFORE any machine work is done.As the filler cures, it expands. Not too good on final dimensions.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
427, 4.312 - 4.125 = .187....... So, yes, someone would have to be crazy to try that. I am crazy. How much for the block? I would never bore a 348 to that size but its already done. I would build it just to see if it is possible. Logic says , No, but I don't always agree with logic. If the block is cheap enough, I will take a shot. A huge gamble , but things are sorta boring right now so why not?

Ronnie, I dug out the block and parts this evening. I took some pics and stuck a standard bore piston into it. It fits. I posted a new thread http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/348-409-parts-casting-s-date-codes.24215/ discussing it.