Great Job Pat

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good things happen to those who think of others in difficult times.

Today I hope to be shipping a pair of boxes to a certain dealership in Dallas TX that abound with treasure. Here's a shot of those before they were prepped for shipping:

586s.jpg

and here's those same 586 heads after getting cleaned and crack checked:

586 heads all cleaned up.jpg

Matching date codes are my 10th birthday : "A 21 61". If I had known that in advance I might have kept them for myself :).

Many thanks to Ryan vanDillen and his Dad for passing these along to Pat for something I suspect will be "special".
Ryan is the grandson of Clyde Waldo, who passed away last year after years of thoughtful contributions to this Forum. He now has Clyde's T-bird as well as some other parts.

Cheers!
TomK

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Good things happen to those who think of others in difficult times.

Today I hope to be shipping a pair of boxes to a certain dealership in Dallas TX that abound with treasure. Here's a shot of those before they were prepped for shipping:

View attachment 52646

and here's those same 586 heads after getting cleaned and crack checked:

View attachment 52647

Matching date codes are my 10th birthday : "A 21 61". If I had known that in advance I might have kept them for myself :).

Many thanks to Ryan vanDillen and his Dad for passing these along to Pat for something I suspect will be "special".
Ryan is the grandson of Clyde Waldo, who passed away last year after years of thoughtful contributions to this Forum. He now has Clyde's T-bird as well as some other parts.

Cheers!
TomK

Tom, you guys are the best!!

I can't wait! Finally the missing link!

Tom comes through again!!(he really knows where all the good stuff is)

Several years ago I picked up a 3795623 short block complete with original cam, crank, rods and pistons. It did not have the heads, I have the intake, 3767579 intake and a 3270S single 4 carb. Now thanks to Tom, Ryan and Waldo the engine will be complete.

Additionally, what is exciting is the short block I picked up had been run in a dirt track car in the LA area in 1961. The guy bought it as an over the counter short block and ran it for only a short time. He pulled it out and ran something else and retired the 409, putting it under his work bench.

About 50 years later he passed away, his son collected everything taking it home in a trailer. Living in Houston he put it on Craigslist there. I had a friend in Houston get it for me and I have stored it waiting for all the other parts.

The cam and pistons are perfect and I plan on using them again.

My goal is to get a 61 Biscayne and build a 409 car. Should be a lot of fun to bring an original 61-409 360HP back to life!!

I will get some photos together.

Stay tuned :) :)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Tom, you guys are the best!!

I can't wait! Finally the missing link!

Tom comes through again!!(he really knows where all the good stuff is)

Several years ago I picked up a 3795623 short block complete with original cam, crank, rods and pistons. It did not have the heads, I have the intake, 3767579 intake and a 3270S single 4 carb. Now thanks to Tom, Ryan and Waldo the engine will be complete.

Additionally, what is exciting is the short block I picked up had been run in a dirt track car in the LA area in 1961. The guy bought it as an over the counter short block and ran it for only a short time. He pulled it out and ran something else and retired the 409, putting it under his work bench.

About 50 years later he passed away, his son collected everything taking it home in a trailer. Living in Houston he put it on Craigslist there. I had a friend in Houston get it for me and I have stored it waiting for all the other parts.

The cam and pistons are perfect and I plan on using them again.

My goal is to get a 61 Biscayne and build a 409 car. Should be a lot of fun to bring an original 61-409 360HP back to life!!

I will get some photos together.

Stay tuned :) :)
Pat,
Does the 579 intake have a casting date? I am pretty well convinced that it was not the correct intake for 61 but was the first aluminum intake for the 59 320hp 348 before the 540 intake came out in late 60 for the 340hp engine. Do the 3720 butterflies clear the throttle bores in the 579?……..