Haven't posted here in a while

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I haven't posted here in quite some time. Back in August 2023, I had a terrible, tragic event that happened in my family. Still not over it. Not sure I ever will be completely. Everyday, it seems to be a challenge and struggle. I started recently posting in another site and thought I should get back here too. This has always been my favorite site with such nice folks. I got kicked off for some reason and it was difficult to get back on, but I finally did. I have previously checked in and read some posts a few times, but there's nothing like being able to post yourself. So, I hope we haven't loss any members and everyone is doing fine. Staying safe, healthy, Carmine.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tragic losses in our lives can change us to our core. Come on back in and lets talk shop. The pain will linger but you have many friends here.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thank you everyone for your caring and kind thoughts. Life certainly is different for me now. I get through today and I'll see where tomorrows journey might take me.
I think I mentioned quite some time ago, if I did my apologies for being repetitious, that I had developed some medical issues which needed my attention. I was treated and I believe I'm ok now. Not knowing where those issues would take me at that time, I decided to sell my small collection that I had. I didn't want to leave my wife with a mess. I really liked my replicated '62 SS 409 a whole lot. Just something about that car and engine. Anyhow, I was left without an older car and needed just one. Something needing nothing but cleaning and polishing. It had to be either a '55 Belair, '62-'64 Impala SS 409 or '66 GTO with tripower. They had to be convertibles too. I really looked at several ads, sites and magazines. I really wanted the 409, but what I found were a few nice 409 cars, but the prices were outrageous; at least I thought so. More then I wanted to pay. Some were 6 digits. So, I decided to buy a '55 Belair convertible in great condition, that I still have. I also decided that just one was enough for me.
So, the reason I mention this, is I was reading through one of my car magazines, about a car auction in the Saratoga Springs area, this past fall. I'm about 3 hrs. from there. I don't recall the name of the auction or what magazine it was in. They profiled a few of the sales, one of which was a red '63 SS 409/425 convertible. From the pictures and description it looked quite nice. It sold for $66,000.00. From what I looked at in the past, that was an unbelievable price. Even though it was sold, it piqued my interest big time. If that car was as described and I was there to see it in person, there is no doubt, that car would have come home with me, even though I swore off buying another car. I know it's crazy, but I guess you never know.
I don't know anymore about this car, but from what I mention, it does sound too cheap; yes??? Suppose to have the original drivetrain. I think for me to change my posture, a car would have to really jump out at me and this one did. On the surface, it would have been exactly what I wanted but was late, Carmine.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome back to the fold! Quite a few new members since you've been away, that's a good thing.

Hope the healing continues and maybe in a little way this Forum can add a bit of enjoyment, if only "chatting at a distance" :).

Yes, it does seem the convertibles have seen quite the demand by buyers, prices have reached the six figure mark depending on the restoration and the final appointments. And that's just the "stock" builds, not the Restomod interpretations. If original 409 documented heritage, that will drive the price up for a certain group of collectors as well.

Welcome back!

TomK

Larry Ziman

Hello all, This reply is meant for all you 09 owners. I'm new to the fold and at present don't have a 09 car to enjoy. I've owned and restored 62 - 409 Chevys in my past and at eighty years of age still love to talk about them. Two of my cars were sold to a member in passing Tom Dietz, who had kept lovingly original until his passing.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hello all, This reply is meant for all you 09 owners. I'm new to the fold and at present don't have a 09 car to enjoy. I've owned and restored 62 - 409 Chevys in my past and at eighty years of age still love to talk about them. Two of my cars were sold to a member in passing Tom Dietz, who had kept lovingly original until his passing.
I think this is the same Larry Ziman I bought 62 parts from years ago from Nebraska.