headers for my 61 bubbletop sbc

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
looking for ideas for headers....... older style sbc..... has manual trans no power steering

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
right on thanks a million....... any idea if i was to upgrade to an alluminium head if that makes a difference

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What size small block are you running,and what is your intended use for it,skaz?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well on a 383,aluminum heads would be a good idea if the engine has at least 10-1 compression.An idea for the 327 would be a Vortec head kit such as Scoggins-Dickey pn SD8060kit,and a comp cams 262 Extreme energy cam and lifters.This ,in conjunction with the headman header and a 600-650 carb.will make quite an impressive,tourqey power plant.Those Vortec heads are by far,the best bang for the buck for a small block.That cam will work with the stock springs that come on the heads.Cheaper than a new engine,even if you have to freashen up the 327 short block and more fun than a barrel of monkeys.Something to consider.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Just a note. One on one cast iron head makes more power than aluminum. I know I'm going to get negative feed back, but who cares? A bunch of wanna bees living in there parents cellar.

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
actually the alluminum cyl question was really will my rams horn manifold fit them in the interim

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
right on thanks....... not sure of my plan yet .......but i would like to squeak the 61's tires a bit

I've got a 61 with a .030 over 10:1 350 with vortec heads and 268 Lunati Voodoo cam and 650 carb. It's definitely powerful...although gearing, trans, and cam matching can make or break it. I had a built 700r4 with stock-ish converter and with my 3.70 posi and 255 wide rear radials, it would not spin the rears just by standing on it from a stop. You would have to brake stand it a bit and even then it would stop spinning before it shifted to 2nd. Felt sluggish off the line. On the highway, it pulled hard. It needed a 9" 2600- 3000 rpm converter to really free it up off the line. I was done with autos though, so I converted it to a 4 speed Muncie, and now it's way more 'lively' off the line!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
In my experiance with 350's,the 268 like you have found,is rather sluggish off the line without a converter in the range that you mentioned.That's why I recommend the one step smaller 262.This is not an issue with a 4 speed manual trans.Both the Comp.and those little Lunati's are great little cams.

Don, 262 was ringing a bell, so I went back and checked my paperwork and I had purchased a Lunati 60102, which is in fact a 262, not a 268! Somehow it still wasn't a tire frier with that torque converter set up. I'm even using an Edelbrock Performer intake (not the RPM) which is allegedly for more streetable down low torque. Maybe my full length Hedman headers take away some low end torque, but it shouldn't have been too noticeable.

Now I'm wondering about moving up to a 268 Comp or Lunati with the 4spd manual. Wonder if it would be okay with power brakes (dual 8" booster)?

Well I've got an MSD Streetfire HEI. I got a spring and weight kit and looks like I'm all in (32 degrees) by about 3300 RPM. I've also got a crane adjustable vacuum advance pod to limit total advance. It's been a couple of years now since I checked it all but will check everything again before running it this Spring