Help. Electrical system/lights pulsing?

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
I just replaced the regulator, debated doing a full rebuild but this this has been nickle and diming me to death lately, so it'll have to wait(wifes been getting annoyed since we're going on a cruise next weekend). I'll see if it made a difference in a few hours. Still going to use the ground strap, wonder if the lack of a good ground was causing the voltage regulators to fail in all 3 alternators I tried? That the regulator was the symptom, not the problem?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I just replaced the regulator, debated doing a full rebuild but this this has been nickle and diming me to death lately, so it'll have to wait(wifes been getting annoyed since we're going on a cruise next weekend). I'll see if it made a difference in a few hours. Still going to use the ground strap, wonder if the lack of a good ground was causing the voltage regulators to fail in all 3 alternators I tried? That the regulator was the symptom, not the problem?
Ground alt to engine instead of radiator support be a better ground.

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
Ground alt to engine instead of radiator support be a better ground.
I'd love to, but with aluminum heads, intake, water pump, and the long tube headers, it's had to get to cast iron without it being on my lift, which is 45 mins away at my Dads shop. I'll be taking it up this weekend to put it in storage, and plan to work on that this winter when I rip out the 5/16" fuel line and run 3/8" and elecric fuel pump.

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
Water pump steel bolts go to block the type where you can sandwich a cable That should be enough.
Wanted to try and use the P/S pump bolts, easier to hide, but I guess it would be redundant in light of the below comment lol.

Last time I checked, aluminum is a conductor.
It must be, my battery to block, and block to body ground wires bolt to the aluminum heads. For some reason I had it in my head non-ferrous metals weren’t great conductors, which is dumb because copper is a great conductor. And until now nobody said anything to correct that thought process, including the “mechanics” at work, but in our defense, electrical isn’t any of our strongest points.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Actually never had to ground alternator ,not knowing what system you had ,well maybe so. I knew aluminim was conductive as i fought a problem a long time ago when aluminim was used more once thinking it wasnt till i ruled it out with a meter, But figured you knew something about that i didnt lol. Well at least you got it fixed thats all that counts.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well the new regulator fixed the problem, my voltmeter is definitely off, reads 11V with the engine off and now a steady 13V at speed, and the pulsing in the lights have been all but eliminated.

Just my luck. 3 alternators in a row(2 new right out of the box) had bad voltage regulators.
Yes i saw the meter was off in video with engine off so you are actually at 14 v charging ,so its good to go .