Help locating 409/425 Flywheel part number and source

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Here it is fresh off the shelf. I can get it turned if you like before you get it if needed. I did not clean it up at all, so you can see it in all its glory.:)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 57

Wes McCallum

Well Known Member
Bryan, PM me what you need for it and I will try and get a shipping cost.
I can have it turned here, looks like it was an 11 in clutch, mine was turned, but still had heat cracks, so if I have to go back into it I want only to do it once

HELP! New here, but, I have a need. Shocker, I know. My car is 1963 impala 409/340 automatic. I want convert it to
A 4-speed. I have a BW T10 from a 1962. I am confused which Bellhousing,flywheel and starter set up
to use to be Correct. Because it is all original till this I don’t want to screw it up to badly.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
A 553 aluminum bellhousing is correct, but a 552 cast iron bellhousing looks the same, except being cast iron. I have a 552 if you are interested. You will need a bellhousing mounted starter, along with the correct flywheel, and clutch set up.

Thanks, i think I will try to find a alu. 553. Do you know what I should be looking for regarding
The flywheel, Do I look for a 153 or 168 tooth? Since the crankshaft had a flex plate, can I just bolt up
The flywheel? I read.somewhere I needed a special “pilot bearing”? Thanks for any light
you can share on this, I am really green on this.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you have a 62 T10, the 63 bellhousing won’t fit, the 63 only BH and T10 has a one year only small input bearing housing. You need a 168 tooth flywheel which any from 62 back will be and then you are looking at those that are internally balanced which was the case for everything up to the 454 and and 168 tooth small blocks except the 400. You can buy new aftermarket flywheels.
For a BH, you need one that fits the 168 tooth flywheel.
Are you looking for numbers matching or just something that will work?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
You will have to make sure your crankshaft was drilled to accept a pilot bearing. It should be, but make sure.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
You will also need the correct flywheel bolts. The flexplate bolts are too short.

Thanks for your comments. Do I need to get different trans.? I would really like to keep numbers
matching. So how do I find the correct combination. Thanks to everyone

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
If you have a 62 T10, the 63 bellhousing won’t fit, the 63 only BH and T10 has a one year only small input bearing housing. You need a 168 tooth flywheel which any from 62 back will be and then you are looking at those that are internally balanced which was the case for everything up to the 454 and and 168 tooth small blocks except the 400. You can buy new aftermarket flywheels.
For a BH, you need one that fits the 168 tooth flywheel.
Are you looking for numbers matching or just something that will work?
i am pretty sure you are right. my 63 vette had the small bearing. jim

Thanks MRHP. Sadly I now realize that realize that. That’s why I am here with
the experts. If I try to stay with my T10 what combination of Bellhousing, starter, and
frywheel do I go with. (Provided the crankshaft is drilled).

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I have.....
2 used 168 tooth flywheels
1 NOS 168 tooth flywheel
552 cast iron bellhousing
Bellhousing mounted starter
These flywheels take a 10 1/2" pressure plate and clutch disc

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Mr Phil can fill in all the blanks, and may also have all the parts you need. If not, he can send you in the right direction. You will also need the peddles, z bar, z bracket, and clutch linkage. Will also need the front portion of the driveshaft modified for length. Floor tunnel hump, boot, shifter, and a bunch of small stuff.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You can probably find a new front bearing retainer to fit the larger hole in a non 63 bell housing. I got one for my T10 from Cajun John.

I thank each of you for heading me in deciding what direction to take. Since my old friend only has app. 14,000
miles since new, I wanted to keep it as original as possible. But with that said, I am getting older and I am tired
of seeing it just set in the garage, a collection for parts setting on a shelf and always wishing it was a 4 speed.
I will also be looking for a posi r/e.