Help locating 409/425 Flywheel part number and source

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is a 1963 Chevy conversion set picture similar to ones I sell -it depends on what a person needs or has for there car. There is a new Hurst competition plus 4 speed shifter and linkage in the picture. The hurst shifter allows the use of a bolt on factory style 4 speed handle and white knob. The boot in the picture is for a 63 SS shift plate. A bench seat 61/63 would have a round boot.
63 and 64 clutch pedals are the same. 1961 is one year only clutch/brake set and 1962 is one year only clutch and brake pedal set.
I sell some clutch and brake sets with the under correct under dash brace.

.I have been selling off my extra original restored linkage 61 to 63 Clutch conversion parts and adding a few new items to make a complete sets. I have sold a few 552 cast iron bell housings with some conversions. 552 bell housings don't cost as much (normally about 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost of a aluminum 553 bell housing.

Paul

IMG_0001-003.JPG

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can probably find a new front bearing retainer to fit the larger hole in a non 63 bell housing. I got one for my T10 from Cajun John.
Jim, he has a 62T10, so it already has the larger bearing retainer. Probabaly what you meant to say was he could get a small bearing retainer and use the 63 small hole BH. But, they are hard to find and more expensive than the "correct" one. Since his T10 is a 62, might as well get a BH with the larger hole, less hassle and cheaper and the T10 is not "numbers matching" anyway.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I thought that all 409’s in ‘63 used the 553 bellhousing with the big flywheel? The small hole (421 I believe is the casting number) was a closed bottom and takes the small flywheel. I thought they used that one on small blocks after April or so with the new Muncie for ‘63 with the one year small bearing retainer...:dunno

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here is a 1963 Chevy conversion set picture similar to ones I sell -it depends on what a person needs or has for there car. There is a new Hurst competition plus 4 speed shifter and linkage in the picture. The hurst shifter allows the use of a bolt on factory style 4 speed handle and white knob. The boot in the picture is for a 63 SS shift plate. A bench seat 61/63 would have a round boot.
63 and 64 clutch pedals are the same. 1961 is one year only clutch/brake set and 1962 is one year only clutch and brake pedal set.
I sell some clutch and brake sets with the under correct under dash brace.

.I have been selling off my extra original restored linkage 61 to 63 Clutch conversion parts and adding a few new items to make a complete sets. I have sold a few 552 cast iron bell housings with some conversions. 552 bell housings don't cost as much (normally about 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost of a aluminum 553 bell housing.

Paul

View attachment 66470
I have an interest in the boot for a '63 with buckets and a console. I have purchased an aftermarket one but it does not fit in the grove of the console so it never stays in place. Do the ones you sell fit the console well? Thanks!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
To answer the your question on a new 63 SS Shift boot, I bought the one I sold from Show Cars in New Ulm, Minnesota.
I do not know the brand, the bag it came in did not have the manufacturers name on it. I am sure that Show Cars could tell you who makes them. They sell quality parts from my experience.
here is the link to part # 3632
https://www.show-cars.com//cgi-bin/commerce.cgi

I do know that the 63 SS boot was on back order (not available for 2/3 years). I remember Phil Reed stating this info.
There is probably only one place they are made now that they are back in production.

Paul

heddrik

Well Known Member
I thought that all 409’s in ‘63 used the 553 bellhousing with the big flywheel? The small hole (421 I believe is the casting number) was a closed bottom and takes the small flywheel. I thought they used that one on small blocks after April or so with the new Muncie for ‘63 with the one year small bearing retainer...:dunno
Gee, this is confusing . I thought all 409's had the same bellhousingfor a standard . Where could someone look up the different numbers/combinations? The shop manual? Thank you gentlemen, as usual, for the education.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 421 small hole BH was a 63 only piece and used on all small block applications on both T-10 and Muncie. 63 409s used the aluminum 553 with a normal sized input bearing T-10.
So reading this right, the Muncie was not available with the 409 in ‘63??

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i am thinking now, that the 09 had the bigger bearing trans with a diff bellhousing. the bell had a inspection plate that came off
on the bottom. i am remembering my 63 09. jim