Help me decide on engine for 72 Chevelle

bobs409

Administrator
I need help with this. I am toying with the idea of a 402 or 454 for my 72 Chevelle. :pray What do you think?

There are many ways to go about this... I could buy a rebuilt engine, then there's a crate engine... or I can buy a used block, heads & crank and build it myself! :D (leaning to the last one)

One thing to remember is I never rebuilt an engine but at age 43, I think it's time I learn. I've read my "How to rebuild a small block Chevy" book about a kajillion times over the years so I know I am capable. :deal And with the helping hands of our members, I'm sure I could handle it. I could then take that knowledge and use it for my other cars.

Feel free to offer any suggestions on what I should go with, where to buy, etc.

Later I'll need advice on what goodies to put into it but let's not get ahead yet.

Some known facts:

72 Malibu w/SS treatments.
Currently a TH350, 4.10 posi. (possible 4 speed in future)
Car will not be raced, street only.
Want big block for the wow factor. :D
Doesn't need to be a "correct" year block.
Want a nice choppy idle and fast!
Want stock looking; no billet valve covers or aftermarket chrome, etc.
Lastly, as always, need to keep a restraint on the cost please...

Oh yeh, here she is in case you haven't seen her:

Attachments

• 72v1.jpg
    72v1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 72v2.jpg
    72v2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 69

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Diy

What's the fun in a crate engine. If you have a machine shop you can trust, everything else is easy and rewarding. Thumper cam should get you the sound without the loss.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
DIY build

Bob, I vote for the "do it yourself" build, simply because you learn lots (but sometimes from your mistakes) and because you get to make all the decisions.

Myself, I would go with the 396/402 genre, but if you could locate a 427 block or even a 454 block, that would do just fine. If you are looking for a "bone yard" rebuilder, make sure you get all the brackets, pulleys, and accessories, that can run the tab up trying to locate and acquire those parts. You should be able to locate a "core" for maybe $500 - $700 complete.

I find lots of 454 truck engines about, but the harder BBCs to locate (on a budget) seem to be the earlier 396/427 parts. They are plentiful, but somewhat pricey. I scored a 396/325 horse short block and a set of the good 375 horse heads and intake for same for less than $1000. Thought that was an OK deal.

Suffice it to say that the BBC engine is a bit less expensive to build than a "W". I recommend swap meets and bone yards as possible candidates. Often a bone yeard will provide some baseline guarantee of being able to be rebuilt (you can come back and get another one to take apart).

I was thinking of slipping the 396 in a vehicle I was thinking of selling, but that project is on hold right now. Good luck with your decisions, if you build it yourself we'll all come help you "from a distance" :).

Cheers!
TomK

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
There is no reason why you couldn't rebuild it yourself. The machine shop that can give good advice on assembly. Plus you have this group that can answer questions.

Too bad we live so far apart. I have a standard bore 396 I probably will never use. .030 over makes it a 402.

On the valve covers, I think they would have been chrome from the factory.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, What are you looking for in power, a lot easier to do power with a 454. You are starting with 60 ftlb more torque at the start. For the street I like a LS-5 type build. Get you a "how to hot rod a big block " book. Good info in it. I'll get my book out later and post what I used on my 66 Impala SS. 425 horse build. Although now my next 454 I would buy those procomp aluminum heads selling on your favorite online shopping for less than $1100. If you have someone do the stock heads will nearly cost that much. No, they're not brodix or edelbrock but they're half the money.

:crazyRay
PS I happen to have a 454 out of the 76 suburban complete for $500 includes an Edelbrock Performer intake and a pair of M/T valve covers. This engine had a 160 thermostat in stalled the day it came off the trailer. Never been hot, but needs rebuild (245000 miles) complete flexplate to water pump, intake to pan, starter, alternator, P/S pump , all brackets etc.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Bob,Theres an old axiom where I came from :crazy which goes as follows"If you've got to carry the weight,you might as well carry the inches"::eek:
Seems to apply here.Good luck,nice car too.:beerbang

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is easy.....

Start with a 454 block and buy a kit to make a 496. :cool:
Use a solid lifter cam
Those patriot heads are square ports that have shorter ports.
They do flow good. A friend here runs 6s (1/8 mile) in a 69 camaro 454.
The miss match doesn't seem to hurt.

There is lots of stuff out there on this combo. Even with peanut heads it makes lots of power.

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Bob,Theres an old axiom where I came from :crazy which goes as follows"If you've got to carry the weight,you might as well carry the inches"::eek:
Seems to apply here.Good luck,nice car too.:beerbang

Damn....Another reason to go on a diet...:doh:doh:roll

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think Ray's 454 sounds like the ticket and the price is right...get a decent set of heads, a decent rebuild kit and disguise it to look like a 402, maybe add one of the thumprs or something similar and you're done!

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks for the great advice so far.

I'll have to see if I can find anything local to save on shipping.

I was wondering, will any brackets or bolt on's work from the big truck 366's? I know of one that is complete that I can get parts from it cheap.

Bob

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
In a 72 chevelle, you had to order the SS option to get a 454, since you have a clone,
go for the 454 SS, it just sounds cool.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
250- 6 cyl. stock.......... roll bar and huge M/T street tires. Front and rear external speakers running to cd player. Recorded engine sounds. :cool::cool::crazy:crazy

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ronnie did you see my 66 Nova when i was young

:crazy I had the car Ronnie described. It was a truck 292 bored to 300 with a set of double hump heads cut and welded a Cliffords cam and chopped moon intake with mechanical injection off 327 corvette that was wrecked. The engine ended up being a great feat for the early 70's but that car compo didn't work to well and the engine when to oval car in Maine.:roll

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I would get a clean 454 core with cast crank, flat top pistons, closed chamber oval port heads from the 60's, a nice intake with 750 double pumper and a good stout hydraulic cam.........just my opinion

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
3855961....396.......65-66...2 or 4 bolt

2 bolts are plentiful. Bore it out to 4.1250 = 427 ci , and yes it will go that high plus some, you might notice in the book the 66 427 and the 66 396 share the same casting number and for good reason. They came out of the same mold.

3904390....67......oval..CLOSED..396, 427, 98cc chamber

Good heads easy to find, port match, bigger valves are easy in them as well. Up to 2.250 int and 1.90 ex with a slight chamber mod. Ex is more important in these heads as you would never use up the 2.250 on the street.

Flat top fordge pistons, steel crank, balanced to a nats *** good Crower JB Cam, single or dual AFB's.

Very little work and minimum machine work and 500hp of rat is an easy thing :beerbang

wbc409

Well Known Member
I used a set of merlin oval ports on my 454. came with stainless manley valves and springs good for 540 lift. I believe you can still get them for 650-700 each. They are cast iron w/119 cc chambers. makes it easy to run pump gas. Make good power.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks for all the good ideas guys.

I re-read my how to rebuild small block chevy's book last night and this is going to be a piece of cake! I am definetly doing this with my own hands.

I located a very good machine shop nearby. Now I just need to find a good core! :deal

P.S. Tom mentioned a Thumpr cam so I searched on youtube and found some video's of cars with them. WOW! That's the sound I'm after!

I also found some running a voodoo cam that sound good too. Decisions... decisions...

Once I put this together and run it, if it doesn't explode :D I'll be able to do that rebuild on the 327 in my 66 Impala that desperatly needs it.

Keep those tips coming and pass along any good sources for a good core...