Help me decide on engine for 72 Chevelle

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:eek: 12 in at idle on a 9.7 motor?MRHP is right,should be in the 14-16 in range.Dave's idea about readjusting the valves on the 2 low cylinders is a good one,I'd just give it a few more miles,then do it when you do the post break-in plug and compression check.Take a few minutes and read Cecils post,and you'll have a better idea of what we're talking about.All these ideas and practices will make your next engine builds eaiser and more rewarding.Let us know when youre ready to start tweaking that dist,as there's both power AND gas mileage hiding in there.:crazy

bobs409

Administrator
Good news! I have 15 inches of vacuum, not 12. Feel free to laugh but I was reading it wrong. There is a little line for every 2 inches, not 1 like I thought. (my other car has it the other way so that's my excuse) Also, the way the gauges are mounted, your looking downward at an angle making a 15 look like a 14.

So looking straight at it and reading it correctly, I have a steady 15. :cool:

Got a few more miles on it today. Might take it on a longer trip tomorrow to deliver some parts to the machine shop for the other 454. That one might be coming home soon.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sometimes we're our own worst enemy

:doh I hate it when I do stuff like that and don't feel like you are alone we all have those moments.:roll Good to hear you are driving it and having fun. Oh bye the way that guy Murphy was here in today.

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, I'm scratchin' my head on this method. :scratch

When I originally set these with the method below, I didn't have timing tape so just put 4 marks on the balancer at 90 degree positions.

Using Derry's instructions, he mentions starting at TDC, adjust the 2 & 8 valve, then turn clockwise 90 degrees and continue. If I start at the way it's listed, it goes from TDC to 270 degrees. Shouldn't it go from TDC to 90 degrees if turning clockwise? :?

Just to be sure on this, if I turn 90 degrees clockwise from TDC, which 2 cylinders do I adjust?

Thanks,

Bob

I think for a good cam break in I would adj the lifters. I use a procedure I found way back in book called engines for dummys.

Intake exhaust
tdc 2 8
270 1 4
180 8 3
90 4 6
tdc 3 5
270 6 7
180 5 2
90 7 1

Start at tdc for #1 adj 2 and 8 turn 90 deg clockwise and follow above. If you don't have marks on the damper use a marker and put marks about the 90 deg points. Pull the plugs you need to let air out anyway.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The four marks are good

That method insures that the lifter is on the base circle or heel of the cam lobe. With larger duration cam you can't use the stock mrthod and insure you are at the base.If you turn the crank 90 degrees clockwise with the tape on it will read 270 degrees. The tape is a timing tape and is meant to read degrees before top dead center. If you look down the columbs you will see it follows firing order with intakes one behind and exhaust one ahead.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:dunno Are you turning it clockwise as the engine sits in the car,:doh as you are facing the engine?They are oposite.:deal

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, I must be standing too close to the tailpipes or something. It makes sense to me now. Turning clockwise does indeed go to 270, not 90! Not sure what the heck I was thinking. :doh :roll

For some reason, it didn't look right to me this morning. I guess I'm getting burned out or something. :dunno

On to the next disaster! :grumble:

bobs409

Administrator
Finally! It's only been about 2 months I'm waiting for my shifter, it finally arrived last night.

Car is sooo much quieter inside now that the shift boot is on. No more listening to rattling shift levers either. And I can finally start using my new console. :deal

Of course, I had to run that tap/die on the threads of this 79.95 (not including ball) shifter to get the handle to go on. Typical Taiwan junk!

Attachments

• 72shifter1.jpg
    72shifter1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 72shifter2.jpg
    72shifter2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 35

bobs409

Administrator
Wish I could help you Don but these are getting harder and harder to find. I got this beauty from a Cavalier for $10 and it's MINT! No grain wear on rim.

The first couple years of Cavalier used these wheels, I guess a way for GM to use up their supply left over from the Camaro? If your ever out junkyarding, be sure to check those Cavaliers, it's about the only good thing on them. :roll

Of course, Chevette & Camaro are also sources for these.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:dunno Okay,it's been a few weeks now,how's the mileage on the Voodo cam?I'm considering one for my 408 since the Brackmaster [flat tappet-hyd.] is 10 years old and still looks perfect,but I need something more streetable.We pulled her out of the Camero last weekend and found :eek: a bent intake valve on #4[0 compression on that cyl].The last pass on the car as 7. 38@91.645 mph in the i/8th on 7 cylinders:?Not all that shabby on 9.1 motor:cheers

bobs409

Administrator
I like the voodoo cam alot. I just hope the thumpr in the other 454 is this good.

I have nothing to compare it to but it's most likely responsible for the very responsive low end. Pedal is very touchy. :deal I love the choppy idle, just what the kid in me always wanted. :D

We are getting alot of rain here lately so haven't been able to get it out the past 2 days. Hopefully I can tomorrow. The last 1/2 quart I put in I think I got 151 miles so it may be improving. I don't really see much smoke anymore but I haven't really been winding it up. I have about 650 miles on it now.

bobs409

Administrator
Got almost 100 miles on it today. :cool:

That's the thing about this car now, you get behind the wheel and you forget to come home. :D Car just feels so right with the BB & 4 speed. It sure loves to run.

Saw some smoke but the truth will be in the oil mileage. It depends on what type of road I'm on. If I'm up/down steep grades, it does smoke on the decel. I don't see any smoke at the red lights like I used to so that's a good sign.