Please Read House Rules (please read)

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Good morning Bob :rolleyes: Just thought I'd put in my two cents, it may not be worth that much but oh well. I for one can't understand why some feel the need to argue with you about a few simple rules (whether they agree with them or not) :dunno I think they are good rules. I have heard bad mouthing about venders that I have had good service from and I have had bad service from those that are praised. If someone is considering placing an order and is concerned let him ask for private messages about the vender then make up his mind. That's a good idea Bob. :clap I for one appreciate what you do here!

Come on guys.... This is Bob's forum PERIOD He started it and he can pull the plug if he chooses. Remember no one is making you hang out here, he has to. I'm not speaking for Bob or trying to put words in his mouth, but I'm sure there are times he'd like to just unplug his computer and walk away, wouldn't anyone? He's started something here and now feels responsible to it's members. Can we try to make this whole thing seem worth it to him? Can we follow a few simple rules? I sure hope so! Aaron

JokersBel

Banned
I follow his rules. I don't cuss, I don't mention vendors names at Bobs request. But yet i have to keep reading threads that are hijacked for others personal attacks. Not only other members but attacks from Bob too. I REALLY tried keeping the "firewall markings" thread in context, but I had to keep reading Bobs explosions of "the rules." And then hear him complain about how much time he spent writing them. I just got sick of reading that thread-within-a-thread. Now he's complaining about a half-hour response, AGAIN. I've praised you before, Bob. Just in my very last thread, and others are all ready looking at making me out to be ungrateful. (Including you) but saying something GOOD here is like pissing your pants... you get a warm feeling inside, but no one notices.

Now, Bob, you cuss at me. (apparently the filter doesn't apply to you) and really, you have to lead by example. Any other way is hipocricy. If you can truly tell me you still feel you haven't broken any of your own rules, then DELETE MY ACCOUNT and remove a supporting member.

If I can't get you to listen to my praise about you, Bob, then the only way is the hard way. Lead by example.
By the way...a local officer was speeding to catch a purse snatcher last year, he hit a minivan on the way and the driver was propelled out the window and thown 20 feet to his death. ( he had children) The cop lived. Just a year earlier, amazingly at the same residential intersection, a cop was in high speed pursuit and to get away the criminal cut a corner ran over a jogger and killed him. NOW, you tell me if what a cop does is RIGHT or not. Think about it, is a purse ( or a vendor name here) worth losing a person over?

Jim

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:doh ,,,,,,, :dunno ,,,,,,, :clap ,,,,,, :dunno ,,,,, :roll ,,,,, :cry ,,,, :mad: ,,, :takethat ,,,, :cuss ,,,,, Thats all I can say

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Yeah I agree with you DQ, but you forgot to mention, :bang ,,,,, :confused: ,,,,,,, :evil ,,,,,, :eek: ,,,,, :deal ,,,,, :scratch

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You don't have to like it!

"I say" If you can't stand the rules or the rule maker, no one is forcing you to stay!And no I'm not trying to be a wise guy. Those are just the facts. I think we have something great here. Just post what you want! If you are a butt hole it won't take the rest of the members long to find out. (you know who you are, don't you?) There is a silent majority out here that I'll bet supports Bob and what he is trying to do. So far my vote is for Bob, and no I don't agree 100% with every thing he say's, but I agree with most of it. Anyway he started this site, works harder than I would and runs it the way he sees fit. I think a few poeple out there have a little trouble with "authority".

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
(1) As one of the guilty parties on board, I must say, Bob.....you're a doing fine job and I thank you for having me here.

even when i told you to pull my plug, you did'nt.

you must have known i could'nt quit this place that easily.

Your rules are easy to live with.

Thanx Bob.

(2) as for being named above, thanx.......... but i don't think i can agree. the only thing i know for sure is that i dont know much of anything.

bobs409

Administrator
Wow! What did I do to deserve this? Hey Jim, I set the rules here. Like it or not, that's the way it is. I am one person trying to keep close to 800 members happy. I think you have alot of balls coming to this website and ordering me around. Do you do that on other sites? If you want to leave us, you won't hear me stopping you. If you think I'm about to get into a pissing match with you, your very wrong. I'm a better person than that. Hah!

I'll leave your previous posts in place so others can see what your really like. And if your not happy here, don't let the door hit you on the A$$ on the way out. Your kind we can all do without.

In closing, GET HELP!

bobs409

Administrator
Now, for the other 783 members here, Thank you! I appreciate the support and encouragment. Sometimes I do feel like kicking this computer through the window but I won't let a few troublemakers ruin a good thing.

It's not easy pleasing everyone, all the time. Some people think the rules should be changed to suit them I guess.

For those that question my decisions remember, for every 1 person that may not agree with my methods, there's a few hundred that do. I get private messages and e-mails from many that do appreciate my efforts but choose to not get involved in the ugly episodes. (and I don't blame them)

Well, I'm not going to let one or two bad apples spoil our forum. (that's exactly why the rules are there, so I can deal with those type. How ironic that it's the rules they don't seem to like?)

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Simple Rules

What Bob said (or) has been trying to say :clap The "rules" are simple and this forum won't survive without them...Thanks Bob! :hug

JokersBel said:
By the way...a local officer was speeding to catch a purse snatcher last year, he hit a minivan on the way and the driver was propelled out the window and thown 20 feet to his death. ( he had children) The cop lived. Just a year earlier, amazingly at the same residential intersection, a cop was in high speed pursuit and to get away the criminal cut a corner ran over a jogger and killed him. NOW, you tell me if what a cop does is RIGHT or not.
Jim

Jim.. Bob... I don't mean to change the subject here ( hhmm :? ... maybe I do :dunno ... I don't like to see this going on between our members :( )
Most of us will make a post now and then, that may be considered "inappropriate" :doh
Example: Although my following statement is righteous and truthful, here is my "bad" post ;)

Jim ( JokersBel )...
MayGOD BLESS YOU for making the above statement :hug

Aubrey Bruneau

JokersBel

Banned
You never listen to the praise I gave you, Bob. The Happy Birthdays to other members. No, all you see is the crap that I HAVE to SAY for you to LISTEN to ME. No, I have never talked like this before on other forums. I only try to help when I can just like the "firewall thread" but I call it like I see it, You totally miss the point every time. I HAVE BROKEN NONE OF YOUR RULES. Yet you are inviting me to leave. WHY? I'm guessing your ego can't take opinions of a membership. You're human like everyone else here, it makes YOU no better than anyone else to be the administrator. Equality in membership. Anything else is a dictatorship. I have the same rights as you do in this beautiful free country of ours. Why can you continue to cuss and swear at me when i've NEVER done it to you? Keep up the good work though, but LEAD BY EXAMPLE, you need moderators to aid you in this site or else you are going to be overwhelmed because nothing is going to stop no matter what words of ruling you put in a thread.

You've previously defended a known con here and you expect us to like it? I've posted many good ideas only to be ignored by you in the past. And every time I praise your efforts, you still manage to ignore it. I don't appreciate a leader who defends a con and attacks a TRUTHFUL, praising member. Now, since apparently I have "BALLS" to call a hipocrite a hipocrite, then do you have the balls to delete my account here? I have no need for it any more.

M

MK IISS

"You've previously defended a known con here..."

Bob: JokersBel is making a good point here.

bobs409

Administrator
MK IISS said:
"You've previously defended a known con here..."

Bob: JokersBel is making a good point here.

And that point would be???? What exactly is a known con on this site anyway?

I read some of the replies after my post, and after some thought I decided of end this once and for all, frankly I don't need it. One last post.

Maybe I have a "big head" and an "attitude" because:
1) I worked at the plant that made ALL the big blocks for 32 years, so I have SOME idea of how they made these motors.
2) I had access to ALL the production records of that plant and am considered a (somewhat) of a historian from that plant. Some of those are preproduction records that document some of the history of the W. No one else has them. (MKIISS) and 425 have seen them. I know where the "truck" moniker began, and Ihave a good idea why it was perpetuated.
3) I have ALL the production records of ALL the big block production,BY SUFFIX CODE, if you want to bet where any ENGINE production numbers came from, guess me. These are by "model year, engines SHIPPED"!.

That said, I DID learn some new things from this site. Nickle and dime things?. As far as the W is concerned there is much lost to time, and memories fade when asking "old timers". There will ALWAYS be "guessing".

4) I'm 60 years old, I was 15 in 1960, if YOUR under 50 you haven't got a CLUE what went on back in the '60's, what it was like to LIVE it!. I was, I did. I bought the cars, I raced some in the mid 60's AT THE TRACK, as well as the street, I have some idea on how cars ran back then. And if your under 40 your going by someone elses "memories".
5) I bought EVERY "hot rod" magazine there was out there from 1960 to 1970, and to today. I read about the cars, all cars, and I didn't race Chevy's so I'm not biased towards Chevy. When I comment on Chevy's from back then I don't "rah, rah" Chevy when they don't deserve it. Boo hoo to all you who don't like it. I'm honest, not biased.
6) Speaking of those magazines, my collection starts in the mid '50's, goes solid in 1960, and I saved them ALL. My collection is one of the largest in the nation, bet me if you don't think so. That helps my knowledge base.

I lived it, and read about it, sorry if that upsets most of you. If anyone wanted to CORRECT me, that's was fine, just tell me YOUR "cred's". I WAS corrected, and learned some new things.

7) I had my hands ON a "mystery" motor, and a 409, and a Mark IV all at the same time. I restored as well I could the Chevrolet "mystery" display motor, the one they display. The ZL-1 motor in the Corvette museum was originally "MY" motor, sent to ME at the plant, and restored by ME, as a ZL-1 Camaro motor, because I didn't want one as a Corvette. Eventually it was re-dressed and sent to Bowling Green. I've compared a "mystery", a '09, and a MKIV by having them sitting next to one another, in pieces, side by side. At that time I personally talked to Chevy engineers from back then. That's helped me learn about it's history.
8) I know where the "mystery" came from, the 409. I know what it WASN'T, a MKIV, the only similarity is the head design. I've researched it.

I have the "cred's", know anyone else who has any like mine?. If so who?.

8) I gave seminars at the National Chevelle Owners Association, from 1987 to 1992. One of those was with Smokey Yunick, we were together for a week, I had a change to meet him "up close andn personal". I attended his auction in 1989, I saw what he had, and what it was worth.
9) I gave a seminar at the 1988 National Corvette Restorers Society (NCRS). I talked with Zora. I'm friends with Terry McManmon, a life time member of the Corvette Museum, he's the expert on LT-1 Corvettes 1970 to 1972.
10) I took him and Mark Meekin's on a tour of the Tonawanda plant the week before Mark IV production ended (and MK V began). They saw, and photographed, the machine floor and production line. They were the ONLY people who did that, and the last ones. Because I put it together.
11) I had a monthly column in All Chevy magazine thanks to a correction I wrote of their "History of the Big Block" article in the first issue. That ran for 2 years. There were two magazines back then, Super Chevy (edited by Doug Marion) and All Chevy (edited by Dan Sanchez). Marion never wanted me, he wanted it all for himself, Sanchez recognized my abilities and helped HIS readers.

So SOMONE recognized my writing, speaking abilities and paid me for it. But about 1993 I switched jobs at the plant, and dropped out of the "system". Now who out there has "cred's" like that?, anyone?.

12) I raced in 1965 & 66, and taught my first wife how to drive. Back then it was rare women raced. I raced off and on up to 1970 (we divorced in 1967). I dropped out of racing until 1988 when my second wife decided at age 40 SHE wanted to race!. I worked second shift and didn't go out much, set the car up, tuned it, she dialed and drove. In 1990 she went into the "points" system, that year she was runner-up in Street points for the season at our local track, in 1991 she won it, in 1992 she was 3rd later she changed to Heavy when I built her a 1984 Monte Carlo with a 454. It's a mild car, runs 11.50's at 117, but she can load it, tow it to the track, unload it, dial it, race it, load it back up and tow it home. I used to race the tow vehicle off and on, then picked up a 1985 Corvette that was set up as a bracket car by a friend of mine. Since I retired I'm finally able to race on a weekly basis.

I only say that because I'm a bracket racer, I've been into bracket racing heavily since 1990. When I comment on what a car will do, or does at the track it's from personal experience. When I answer a post on drag racing it's because I DO IT!. Do you?. How much?. What kind of car?. Aubrey don't answer, you da MAN!.

All of that is where my "big head" comes from, I've been ther and done that and don't suffer fools lightly. Is it bragging?. Or is it just telling you where I come from and what my "cred's" are?. Should I have NEVER have said where I get/got my knowledge comes from?. My mistake was I gave answers, then explanations, and where I got my info from. That makes me "big headed"?. If so, so be it. Those "comments" help explain my "attitude".

my "attitude" comes from:
1) Being bashed by "know-nothings or littles" telling ME they're right and I'm wrong. Sometimes I am, and I can take it, and I respect it when I am. But my knowledge covers more than one small area, where some have knowledge that's more focused on one small area. I THANK Richard, Phil, Aubrey and a couple of others for helping me.
2) I can't STAND people perpetuating a "myth", dispensing numbers that are wrong, and then pretending they're experts. It's frustrating. But then really, why should I care?. I actually attract animosity because I try to correct someone and they can't stand saying they were/are wrong. But hey, if it's wrong and someone reads it and thinks it's right they become (sometimes) experts based on false knowledge, then THEY pass it on and so it goes. But then like I say, so what, I should and will pretty much drop out again.
3) When someone "protects" a person, and/or seller, in effect covers up for someone, I lose respect. I'm thinking here where it was said you should be able to post when they buy something and it's not quite up to snuff (to politely put it). If a vendor is selling things that aren't what they're supposed to be why not be able to say it.
4) I don't hide, and don't respect those that do.
5) I don't (knowingly) LIE, and don't respect those that do.
6) I don't exaggerate. and don't respect those that do.
7) I don't CHEAT, and don't respect those that do.
8) I don't think I'm "holier than thou", and don't respect those that do.
9) I'm not a "jesus freak", and don't like those that are.

That just about covers it. If you don't like it, so?. I can see that I'm just not the person many expect of me, or want to hear from, or about. So ta ta, so long, I'm thin skinned, I have an attitude problem and I'm full of myself. But wht are YOUR "cred's"?. Skip it, those who want to keep in touch do so by private email.

PS: Bob, I have no desire to play god and run a web site, and/or play god.

M

MK IISS

con

"And that point would be"

Come on there Bob, you know exactly what JokersBel was talking about.

bobs409

Administrator
JokersBel said:
You never listen to the praise I gave you, Bob. The Happy Birthdays to other members. No, all you see is the crap that I HAVE to SAY for you to LISTEN to ME. No, I have never talked like this before on other forums. I only try to help when I can just like the "firewall thread" but I call it like I see it, You totally miss the point every time. I HAVE BROKEN NONE OF YOUR RULES. Yet you are inviting me to leave. WHY? I'm guessing your ego can't take opinions of a membership. You're human like everyone else here, it makes YOU no better than anyone else to be the administrator. Equality in membership. Anything else is a dictatorship. I have the same rights as you do in this beautiful free country of ours. Why can you continue to cuss and swear at me when i've NEVER done it to you? Keep up the good work though, but LEAD BY EXAMPLE, you need moderators to aid you in this site or else you are going to be overwhelmed because nothing is going to stop no matter what words of ruling you put in a thread.

You've previously defended a known con here and you expect us to like it? I've posted many good ideas only to be ignored by you in the past. And every time I praise your efforts, you still manage to ignore it. I don't appreciate a leader who defends a con and attacks a TRUTHFUL, praising member. Now, since apparently I have "BALLS" to call a hipocrite a hipocrite, then do you have the balls to delete my account here? I have no need for it any more.

I probably shouldn't even reply to this but I will. I heard the praise you gave but what exactly do you want me to do? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Is that better? Offering birthday greeting or replying to posts doesn't get you any special treatment or allow you to be above the rules.

You never talked like this on other forums because you know they wouldn't put up with it. I'm not going to either.

Your posts today seem to be an attack on me personally. If that is the case, you are breaking a rule, it's the #1 rule. I've invited you to leave because you threatened to leave twice now, even asked me to delete your account! Nobody is going to beg you to stay with your negative attitude. Certainly not by me when you seem to have a bee in your bonnet for me. A tip: It's not good to have it in for the owner of a website and still expect respect from them. I've given you the same treatment as anyone else, your the only one complaining aren't you???

Where in the world did I cuss and swear at you anyway??????????????????????????????

Believe me, I have the BALLS to delete your account. I'm still taking that under consideration yet, probably later.

Bob

JC327

Supporting Member 1
Has it occured to anybody that maybe Bob doesn't read "Chevytalk" and doesn't care to keep up with any soap opera that may be happening there? "Dictatorship" is way too strong a word, but it's Bob's house here and if he wanted us to, say, not use the letter "M" or if he insisted that every other word we type is "bunny", and we agreed to all of this when we registered, then those would be the house rules. His rules are very reasonable.

bobs409

Administrator
Fran Preve said:
PS: Bob, I have no desire to play god and run a web site, and/or play god.

This sounds like a personal, rude comment about me. Do you think I'm playing God now Fran??? Because I have 3 very simple rules (one or more of which you don't agree with) and because I am the one trying to enforce them, I'm the bad guy.

As per this comment:
3) When someone "protects" a person, and/or seller, in effect covers up for someone, I lose respect. I'm thinking here where it was said you should be able to post when they buy something and it's not quite up to snuff (to politely put it). If a vendor is selling things that aren't what they're supposed to be why not be able to say it.

The vendor bashing rule is in place to avoid all the ugly mess that comes from such type of posts. I'm the one that will get the letters from those vendors wondering why I'm allowing that sort of thing. I'm responsible for what is on this site, not you Fran. I'm not trying to help anyone cover anything up, I've had bad experiences with some vendors too but this isn't the place to do the mud slinging. You think everyone should be able to post whatever they want. Ok, that's what you think but it's not what I think and since I'm the one that built this website and spends alot of time keeping it going, I guess I get to call it, not you.

As for losing respect, I lost alot today too. The majority here do appreciate this site and what I do so the word of 2 members isn't going to affect us much.

Well, better get back to playing God now. :rolleyes:

M

MK IISS

Ok, Ok..... I'm sorry I opened my big mouth. Let's all stop it now. We all know the new 'house rules" and I'm sure everone will follow them. Can we get back to talking about Chevrolets now?

Actually I know nothing about Chevrolet 409s but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

JC327

Supporting Member 1
How 'bout opening a poll thread:

Which statement sums up your opinion of the rules here:

a) I want a free-wheeling 348-409.com where anything goes! Wheeeeeeeeeee

b) Bob's rules are fair

c) Bob's rules are unfair

d) Bob is a power-hungry lunatic who spends all his spare time setting up this forum and dealing with all this just so he can lord over a bunch of gearheads to pacify his true desire to rule the world with an iron grip!

(sorry, just trying to inject some humor here)