Instant rocker panel help required

Fltotheo

Well Known Member
As I already told you all, i‘m planning to change the rocker panels on my 62 Impala convertible. Now I wanted to order some, but i‘m more than confused.
I want to replace the whole rocker panels, so I thought I easily order the rocker panel assembly (part nr. 7663 and 7664, see picture 1) but now, it seems that these are not the complete panels! Are these the outer panels with the reinforcement? So do I need to order the parts 7663/7664 AND the inner rocker panels (part nr. 1049R/L) to get the complete rocker panels? Or in other words, is part nr. 7663/7664 the same as part nr. 7316/7417 in combination with part nr. 4256? I know that the whole rocker panel consists out of 3 pieces, inner, outer and reinforcement (see picture 2) but I really don’t know what replaces the panel in picture 1. It gets more confusing because some of the shops sell this as Rocker panel assembly (consisting of inner and outer, but no word about the reinforcement) and some sell this as outer and middle!!! Can somebody help me and solve this?

FE5F2628-2807-48DC-A92A-D9F41501AFD3.jpeg
Picture 1
7D980436-A34D-4B91-AF11-D0CE8F208354.jpeg
Picture 2

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
You need the inner rocker.That is what the floor braces are welded to.You also need the wheelhouse to rocker brace for a complete rocker panel.The reinforcement comes with the outer rocker in pic one.If you are blessed with a convertible,there is another internal support that is not reproduced to my knowledge,but can easily be bent by a sheet metal shop.

bobs409

Administrator
I don't know about convertibles but you do need all 3 pieces. The reinforcements I got were a heavier gauge like 16ga to guess. You could have those made if you have access to a big assed press brake that can bend long pieces of 16GA! :D

Not sure about today but when I was in need of these, I think Showcars was the only place that had that reinforcement available.

Fltotheo

Well Known Member
You need the inner rocker.That is what the floor braces are welded to.You also need the wheelhouse to rocker brace for a complete rocker panel.The reinforcement comes with the outer rocker in pic one.If you are blessed with a convertible,there is another internal support that is not reproduced to my knowledge,but can easily be bent by a sheet metal shop.
Thanks!
Another internal support for convertibles? Can you give me more infos on that? Maybe a pic?

Fltotheo

Well Known Member
I don't know about convertibles but you do need all 3 pieces. The reinforcements I got were a heavier gauge like 16ga to guess. You could have those made if you have access to a big assed press brake that can bend long pieces of 16GA! :D

Not sure about today but when I was in need of these, I think Showcars was the only place that had that reinforcement available.

I found all the parts at show cars, and yes you’re right! They are the only ones that offer that internal support, but when I understood R63ss correct, I only need to order assembly in pic 1, wheelhouse to rocker brace and inner rocker, right?

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Correct.The outer rocker in the pic you show has the inner piece already installed.