intake and carb heigth

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Does anybody have a heigth difference between an 881 intake and a z-11 intake? Wondering about aircleaner to hood clearance.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't had time...................be patient Grasshopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Does anybody have a heigth difference between an 881 intake and a z-11 intake? Wondering about aircleaner to hood clearance.
I actually have that measurement, took it to make sure an air cleaner I was building would clear. I will have to dig for it, worse case I can remeasure the 409/409 car and the one with the Z11 top half. Let me know if you need it by a certain time, tks, Pat

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I'll wait if I have to.:grumble I guess I would need total heigth difference between the two heads and intake together. Thanks alot fellas.:D

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Brian..................bottom line.............if you are wanting to put your new Z-11 style air cleaner on your 62............it will not fit. Not enough hood clearance. Have you seen the air cleaners with the open element and just the top and bottom metal pieces???? In order for this air cleaner to fit and close the hood..........you have to section out the back side of the bottom and lower it about 1/2". This drops the whole air cleaner downward. Then you can close the hood. When you put the sides on the air cleaner with the snorkles............that raises the AC just enough that the hood won't close. None of this is a problem with the 63 and probably 64 hoods. Sorry about the bad news.....................:cry:cry

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian..................bottom line.............if you are wanting to put your new Z-11 style air cleaner on your 62............it will not fit. Not enough hood clearance. Have you seen the air cleaners with the open element and just the top and bottom metal pieces???? In order for this air cleaner to fit and close the hood..........you have to section out the back side of the bottom and lower it about 1/2". This drops the whole air cleaner downward. Then you can close the hood. When you put the sides on the air cleaner with the snorkles............that raises the AC just enough that the hood won't close. None of this is a problem with the 63 and probably 64 hoods. Sorry about the bad news.....................:cry:cry

I got this to work just fine:brow2x4 setup

quik9r

Attachments

• 100_0358d.JPG
    100_0358d.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 17

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I know Kevin but he Z-11 intake is taller than your big block intake. Your filter element looks taller the the 3x2 or 2x4 ones used for the original air cleaners, which means you have more clearance.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The hood would not close using the stock 2x4 air cleaner, I am using an alternative base that drops down over the carbs and allows a big element and still have hood clearance.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The hood would not close using the stock 2x4 air cleaner, I am using an alternative base that drops down over the carbs and allows a big element and still have hood clearance.
Phil is right, the open air cleaner is the one that fits but only after cutting the bottom off a bit. The 62 hoods do not have as much clearance. On my Black Bubbletop with the Aluminm front-end and Z11 top I had to trim the A/C where it fits over the carb tops, then I lowered the engine, need to look to see how much. I do not think a 63 Z11 styled cleaner will fit without lots of modification. Let me know what measurements you need. Tomorrow I think I will have the cars beside each other and can take measurements.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I am looking at if my air cleaner set up would fit under the hood of my 62 with a z-11 top half. I have an edelbrock 2x4 set up now, and I believe it is taller than an 881 intake. Just curious how much taller the z-11 set up was.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I am looking at if my air cleaner set up would fit under the hood of my 62 with a z-11 top half. I have an edelbrock 2x4 set up now, and I believe it is taller than an 881 intake. Just curious how much taller the z-11 set up was.
OK, here is what we did on the black bubbletop. I looked at lowering the engine but that was going to be a lot of trouble. So, what we did was to raise the body on the frame. We shimmed the mounts at the radiator core support about 1/4 inch and then raised everything a lesser amount all the way back but not the very last body mounts. I had forgotten and asked Al here that did the modifications and he reminded me. This allows a stock type air cleaner to be used. We did not have any problems with headers or wiring etc just raising the body this much. If you want me to still measure the difference between the 2 I will. Pat.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
That should be enough info for now. Thanks Pat. I had talked to my bodyman about a 1/2 or 1 inch bodylift all around to help with hood and exhaust clearance. He figured there was enough room for adjustment. Do you think it is feasable? I think it would help in alot of areas.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I personally do not think you need that much. 1/4 in at front is plenty. Remember do not raise the body so far it pulls the steering coupling apart.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Brian..................where's what you asked for.
I took measurements from the base of the intake to the top plane of the intake where the carbs sit.
The front of the 409 intake measures 3 1/2" and the Z-11 measures 5 5/16". The 409 rear measurement is 5 1/2" and the Z-11 is 7 3/16". So the Z-11 intake is 1 13/16" taller in the front and 1 11/16" taller in the rear. The rear picture sure shows the difference.
z11-425intakes1.jpgz11-425intakes2.jpg

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Thank you guys! I am still in the planning stages, but that is a start.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thank you guys! I am still in the planning stages, but that is a start.
Might not be a big deal but part of the increase in height is the thickness difference in the heads as well as the intakes. Just a thought.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
That's true Pat. But the taller Z-11 heads make the intake that much taller!!!! Somewhere there is a thread I posted of Z-11 and 425HP heads side by side to show that difference.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Right now with the cowl ducted air cleaner, I have about 1 1/2 inches of clearance. I could always reconfigure the base for more clearance if necessary.