intake and carb heigth

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Right now with the cowl ducted air cleaner, I have about 1 1/2 inches of clearance. I could always reconfigure the base for more clearance if necessary.

Reconfigure is not as easy, because it can affect the height of the air element in relation to the top of the carbs and creating a seal. I went through this with the set up shown earlier. I could not close the hood with the stock 2x4 air clearner. We were going to cut the bottom out and drop it down but then the height for the lid was to shallow for a proper seal. So, I am using a 426 hemi base with an NOS mopar air filter and a 409 lid, this gives the "look" of a 62 Z11 air cleaner. The carbs and linkage are all factory 409 pieces.

Quik9r,

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
That's true Pat. But the taller Z-11 heads make the intake that much taller!!!! Somewhere there is a thread I posted of Z-11 and 425HP heads side by side to show that difference.
Saying the same thing....the combination will be taller than just the intake vs. Intake since the taller heads contribute to the added height.
I would install the heads, intake, etc and simply raise the body, easy fix. Good luck.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I built the whole air cleaner from scratch, so I can always build another if need be. Options options options! Nothing is ever easy.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I built the whole air cleaner from scratch, so I can always build another if need be. Options options options! Nothing is ever easy.
If you still need the measurements I can get the comparisons. Let me know.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
If it's lots of trouble, don't worry about it. If it is easy, then yes please. I am also working on a filler tube that will fit with my air cleaner set up. It's coming along good.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
If it's lots of trouble, don't worry about it. If it is easy, then yes please. I am also working on a filler tube that will fit with my air cleaner set up. It's coming along good.
Can get tomorrow, I have a Z11 on an engine stand and can measure it and the silver blue 62 409/409.

acacg

Well Known Member
z112.jpg

z111.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4840.jpg

a lil ove 2" in height diff.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
z112.jpg

z111.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4840.jpg

Thanks Al for posting, let us know if this is close enough, as I recall it measured 2 5/16ths taller than a 409/409. It is taller in the back and we did not get this measurement since the engine is positioned in such a fashion that the carbs are to be level. We can get you a more clear photo of the Z11 numbers if this is needed. When you get to 1/16ths you might be too close to the hood anyway. Hope this helps, Pat.
a lil ove 2" in height diff.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Thank you so much Pat. I have been out of town for a week, thats why it took so long to get back to you.