Is the 283 worth the build

Mize64Wagon

Me and my dad have a 64 Biscayne wagon. The car runs like a top now we have no problems or issues but we want a little more power is the 283 worth of time in the build or should we just move on to a 350? Thanks you in advance

Attachments

• ACE6FFF3-3FD6-478D-9242-F7275E0AE812.jpeg
    ACE6FFF3-3FD6-478D-9242-F7275E0AE812.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 6

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I would build the 283but I'm wierd.To move that heavy wagon smartly you usually need torque,but with smart[forget ''old school'' type mods] changes such as modern heads, but you'd be amazed by what a 283 can do if done and geared right.It comes back to what you want the car to do. Welcome aboard.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Like Don says you need "TORQUE". I would build a 400 and put some old school double humps on it (drill steam holes), keeping the short water pump, pulleys & brackets you have. There is a new aftermarket aluminum "double hump" head out there also. With the humps it will look like a 327!
Jeff

Mize64Wagon

I just picked up a set of 305 ho with larger valves 1.84/1.50 the motor was rebuilt few years back just been sitting. Really just wanting a little more umph! Really wanting to build the little monster. I think they are 53cc heads with a 601 casting if this was a good option what kind of compression would I have? Thanks guys

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
What it comes down to is #1 how important is originality to you? #2 what is your budget? If you want to keep it original build the 283. If you want to spend money anything from a 350 to a 502 would be a good choice.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 601's were around 58 cc's.Your best bet would be a set of trick flow 175 cc heads.Screw that old school double hump stuff.Go for function rather than appearence.At 56cc's and a near zero deck,and a gasket that puts your quench ditance of .034-.038 will put you right at 10-1.

Mize64Wagon

I just picked up a set of 305 ho with larger valves 1.84/1.50 the motor was rebuilt few years back just been sitting. Really just wanting a little more umph! Really wanting to build the little monster
What it comes down to is #1 how important is originality to you? #2 what is your budget? If you want to keep it original build the 283. If you want to spend money anything from a 350 to a 502 would be a good choice.
in the near future we’ll be putting a 355/383 complete turnkey motor and rear gear. was just wanting something for the time being. So gonna keep the budget low because I know there will be things I’m not think of

Mize64Wagon

The 601's were around 58 cc's.Your best bet would be a set of trick flow 175 cc heads.Screw that old school double hump stuff.Go for function rather than appearence.At 56cc's and a near zero deck,and a gasket that puts your quench ditance of .034-.038 will put you right at 10-1.
Would these heads be beneficial for now if at all they are fresh out of the machine shop

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
To some degree yes.They have a little bigger ports,bigger intake valves.They may also have the odd ball intake bolt arrangement so watch for that when you go to order the intake.Add a small cam and dual exhaust if you don't already have it.If you're running a Powerglide,dump it for at the minimum a th350.

Mize64Wagon

To some degree yes.They have a little bigger ports,bigger intake valves.They may also have the odd ball intake bolt arrangement so watch for that when you go to order the intake.Add a small cam and dual exhaust if you don't already have it.If you're running a Powerglide,dump it for at the minimum a th350.
Awesome. I have a couple intakes to pick from and a pair of polished shorty headers and gonna switch to a holley and put that shiny one back in the box just my opinion. We’re already running a 700r4 would I see a significant increase with heads cam exhaust??? Pretty much just a healthier top end?? Again this thing runs like a top you hit the key and it’s running will sit an idle all day if you wanted it to. I really think my pops just wants to light’m up when he wants to. Lol if that what he wants them I’m gonna make sure he can.

Attachments

• F408E67E-F051-4406-B702-C2CF6CDB07BE.jpeg
    F408E67E-F051-4406-B702-C2CF6CDB07BE.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 12

Clint

Well Known Member
I just picked up a set of 305 ho with larger valves 1.84/1.50 the motor was rebuilt few years back just been sitting. Really just wanting a little more umph! Really wanting to build the little monster. I think they are 53cc heads with a 601 casting if this was a good option what kind of compression would I have? Thanks guys
I built a 283 with those same heads and a 270 cam...ran very well in a little blazer.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
For what you're wanting,a better alterntive would be,in my opinion,since you already have the overdrive trans would be to get a set of Headman long tube headers and sell the block headers.they will not help for your quest.Long tubes promote low end torque,just what you need in a heavy car/small engine combo.Tune that already sweet running engine,then replace the 3.08 or 3.36 rear with a 4.10..Now you have plenty of bottom end snap to lay a pretty good patch,but comfortable cruising and mileage.If you go the cam route,go no bigger than 212 in.,218 ex.,at .050,lift in the .450-460 range,110 lobe seperation.Anything bigger is going to weaken the bottom end.

Mize64Wagon

For what you're wanting,a better alterntive would be,in my opinion,since you already have the overdrive trans would be to get a set of Headman long tube headers and sell the block headers.they will not help for your quest.Long tubes promote low end torque,just what you need in a heavy car/small engine combo.Tune that already sweet running engine,then replace the 3.08 or 3.36 rear with a 4.10..Now you have plenty of bottom end snap to lay a pretty good patch,but comfortable cruising and mileage.If you go the cam route,go no bigger than 212 in.,218 ex.,at .050,lift in the .450-460 range,110 lobe seperation.Anything bigger is going to weaken the bottom end.
Correct it has the 3.08 rear gear. It feels like it will pull forever. Man you guys are so helpful there is tons of knowledge here.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Back in 1980 I built a nice stockish 283 for my 61 4 door sedan, ran really good.
In 1981 I put a L36 MKIV 427 in it. That 283 didn't have the pull I was looking for.

I am sure what ever you decide you will enjoy it.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'd chime in with Don on this one. Baby cam and better heads (like the aluminum ones that look like double hump) if the budget permits and keep it as original looking as possible. Even to the point of painting everything orange.

You might even try the gear change first so you know how much that helps. I'd try to resist the urge to make it a hot rod, but that usually doesn't work for me either.

Everyone has a 350, keep that in mind. Good luck.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Most of the newer double hump aluminum heads have 64 cc chambers and 2.02 valves.This is not what you want for a 283.You'll loose compression and shroud the valves.The Trick Flow 175's have 1.94 valves[stock is 1.74] and 56 cc chamber for an increase in compression,along with a moden,high swirl combustion chamber and ports which is why I'd go that way for a small inch engine.If going with factory iron heads,I'd go only with the 96 up L30 305 Vortec head for a 283.Another good aluminum factory head[1.94 intakes,58cc chambers]would be the Corvette and ZZ4 crate engine head.Mill them .030 and bolt them on.

Last edited: