Is the 283 worth the build

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I was thinking about the TF head, but the GM ones might be a less expensive option, except for D-port exhaust, center-bolt valve covers, and angle plugs. Some stuff might become an issue, or look too "new".

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Center bolt valve covers=no oil leaks,much longer gasket life.The Corvette head is cheaper used but the TF head is better if you're looking for max.power.The angled plug never gave me any problem on any header that I ever used.Looks,smooks,I try to use what works,it's my ride.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think maybe it comes down to the fact that if you've ever owned a good 283 (or 327) you really learned to appreciate it. Especially for the time period, they were very good engines if they got a little bit of maintenance along the way. If you didn't grow up with those engines you might tend to overlook them.

Mize64Wagon

I think maybe it comes down to the fact that if you've ever owned a good 283 (or 327) you really learned to appreciate it. Especially for the time period, they were very good engines if they got a little bit of maintenance along the way. If you didn't grow up with those engines you might tend to overlook them.
I agree 100%. I seen one make almost 300hp on just a little more than average rebuild today but it give any specs other than I seen the pistons 0.60. And internally balanced. When I say 300 I meant 280hp

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There is or was an article on this site about a guy who built a 292].060 over 283] and had it in a 51-52 pick up.He was running a 2004r behind it, running efi on it.No numbers,but the video showed the truck running and it was a FUN little engine.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Don't waste your time a on a 350 for that wagon. Put a good 400 SBC in the car, I had one in out Biscayne for years. Decent fuel mileage, great power and as quick as a lot of 409 powered cars. In 2017 after I put in out 409 I mentioned to my Son that I thought the old 400 had better low end power then the '09 does but not as cool looking. The 400 sat in the corner and I couldn't even get $300 bucks, ("really") for it so what did I do with it? I cleaned it up and put it in my race car to see what it would run. With the junky factory heads my car ran 12.86@102mph with tiny tiny cam. Next I put on a bone stock set of Vortec heads on the 400 and went back out then re-tested. The car ran an Amazing 12.26@106mph from just a cyl head change all while having super great street manners that would run on 91 octane fuel. What did I do with the 400 after that? word got out about the quick 400 and I sold it to a guy complete carb to pan for $2200 bucks. Put a 400 in that wagon, you'll think you have a 454 in there.