Is this a 1961 409

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Gotta say, all the years I worked for several Chevrolet dealers, we NEVER stamped a replacement block!!
Did not matter, warranty or customer pay.
Does anyone know of any 409 replacement blocks still in the crate in existance? If you did have one, would you stamp the vin# of the vehicle and the "new" assembly date?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does anyone know of any 409 replacement blocks still in the crate in existance? If you did have one, would you stamp the vin# of the vehicle and the "new" assembly date?
One could do that but the date code on the block would not be correct for the original car unless you happened to get a very early block that was cast before the cars build date

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
please correct me if I am wrong, I was of the understanding that vin's were not stamped on the block pad for 61 model years, but were stamped for 62 model years on the HP 327 and all 409's, and from 63 on all engines.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah if it was added by someone it would be sloppy like the ones in your pics. Second pic is F2 32307 F for flint I'm assuming 2 is model year and the 32307 is vin of car. The pics i provided the serial number is a 330k. To answer about why such late build is shortage of 409s? What plant is L does anyone know
NO! Flint is and F and 232307 is the last 6 digits of vin....read the Colvin book