Is this a real 409 Shroud?

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Is this a real 1964 Impala 409 shroud? I know the 409 shroud has an extra welded gusset somewhere but I can't tell it from a big block shroud. I also don't see the extra gusset.
Thanks, Mick

Attachments

• shroud.jpg
    shroud.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 198

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Looks like a trimmed small block shroud. Edges look kinda jagged.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Thanks, I just read the thread and I still don't know a way to tell the difference. Cut edge - rolled edge?? Gusset? Yes, no?? The guy swears it is out of a 409 :roll

It is listed on eBay :
1964 Chevy Impala 409 big block fan shroud 878 Item number: 4598229753
The guy sent me two picturs but they are huge! 2 megs each. I could e-mail them but they are too large to post here...
Mick

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
CDNpontiac409guy said:
Looks real to me. These things DO have little notches and steps cut into the outer lip. :dunno
Obviously, it's 1964 only.

I gotta go with OZ on this one !!!

This looks like a real one,,,you can see the notch

Also I should know,,,, I have The SCAMMED (fake) 64 one on my 62 !!!:eek: ,,,

Anyone have a real `62 one for sale,, reasonable? ,,,dq

Old School

Supporting Member 1
There's no question it is for a big block and not a cut down SB shroud. But, can anyone tell me the difference between the big block and the 409 shroud? I always believed it was an extra welded gasset on the upper or lower bracket to give it extra strength. I don't see any extra gasets on this shroud.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
64 big block

In 1964, the 409 WAS the big block. SBC shroud was deeper, but could be cut down to fit the 409 BBC. Now 1965 was quite a different story.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
models916 said:
In 1964, the 409 WAS the big block. SBC shroud was deeper, but could be cut down to fit the 409 BBC. Now 1965 was quite a different story.
Thanks... That is were the confusion comes from... I was also looking at a 65 shroud for another car..... Too much to remember...

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Somebody else thought it was real; -- The final Bid was over $650 !! If anyone knows where another one might be, I would appreicate a note.
Thanks Mick

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Old School said:
Somebody else thought it was real; -- The final Bid was over $650 !! If anyone knows where another one might be, I would appreicate a note.
Thanks Mick

I'm gonna get out my hacksaw, tin snips and hammer......I've got two real, and may have four afterwards......

:roll :roll :roll

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
:doh
Absolutely........................NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Based on that, how much do you think will be tied up in that car when it's done????:scratch

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
CHEV601234 said:
:doh
Absolutely........................NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Based on that, how much do you think will be tied up in that car when it's done????:scratch

It`s the PT Barnum syndrome,,, one born every second !!!:doh

Problem is ,,,, these suckers are ruining our hobbie !!:cuss

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
dq409 said:
It`s the PT Barnum syndrome,,, one born every second !!!:doh

Problem is ,,,, these suckers are ruining our hobbie !!:cuss

How do you figure this auction is ruining the hobby ???

bobs409

Administrator
I can get behind what DQ is saying. Auctions like this are a good example of what is happening. The old car hobby will be soon so expensive, only the rich will be able to afford it. :cuss While I like to see my "investments" grow, the average Joe will soon have to mortgage the house just to buy a fix er upper.

P.S. I buy whole cars for $650, not fan shrouds! :eek: :D

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I bet neither one of you....or anyone for that matter will sell a nice set of done 690 heads for 800 bucks just so the hobby stays affordable...:grumble:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Well, wait a minute guys, before we get into a bashing about ruining our hobby; lets go back to the original question. Is this a "real 409 fan shroud"? Some say it is, others say it isn't, I certainly question it being real but somebody knows something that we don't cause they paid big money for it.

I didn't see the actual ebay add, what did they claim it fits? It's certainly not correct for a 61 or 62 and I don't think it's correct for a 63 but I don't know if it could be a 64 or not.

I have a couple of shrouds hanging on my garage wall so I went out this morning and took a couple of photos that I have attached. (what better to do on Christmas morning)

The first picture is of a small block shroud that fits a 63 and 64 and may be correct for a 62 (not sure), It looks to be of the same design as the one in question, just shorter. I would point out that I believe a good sheet metal man could easly modify mine to look like the one on Ebay.

The second picture is of a shroud from a 61 348 which I believe is also correct for a 62 409 and possibly a 63 409. (My 63 409 has a shroud just like this) The photo's that I've seen of the Z-11 shrouds, while they were aluminum, were of the same design as this shroud.

So, was it suppose to fit a 64 409? I'm not up on '64's but I don't believe it is correct for any other year. If it is correct for a '64, (I believe that would be the only year it could be correct for) then it's a pretty rare piece because it's a one year only part and that could make it pretty hard to find.

Just my thoughts, take a look at the photos and tell me what you think.

Merry Christmas

Attachments

• 62 63 64 small block fan shroud.jpg
    62 63 64 small block fan shroud.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 61 62 63 348 409 fan shroud.jpg
    61 62 63 348 409 fan shroud.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 98

gearhead409

Well Known Member
all you need is two guys with more money than sense and the price goes crazy on ebay. the problem i see is every body see's this and thinks their parts are worth that much too. trying to buy up parts today is getting harder to do. when a seller starts rattling off these prices, i just have to walk away. if i had to start over and pc. a 409 car together today, i think i might have to get into another hobby!