Its a Mouse Trap with no poispn!

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just saw this on another forum. Looks like it'd zap the chit out of the mice.
I'm going to rig one up and plug it into a GFCI outlet in the shop.

917_756ac3dbefecbaa6acb8e1d09ef6bee19cb925f5.jpeg

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The main stream mouse and rat poisons are concentrated blood thinners. Taking a mouse for example, a mouse can squeeze through a hole just over 1/8th an inch in diameter. In doing so, they bruise. If they've recently consumed a mouse poison, the bruise will cause them to bleed to death internally. Bummer for them.

Point being, other animals consuming a poisoned mouse/rat should have minimal risk of being effected by the poison/blood thinner. However, there is a difference between no risk and minimal risk.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
The main stream mouse and rat poisons are concentrated blood thinners. Taking a mouse for example, a mouse can squeeze through a hole just over 1/8th an inch in diameter. In doing so, they bruise. If they've recently consumed a mouse poison, the bruise will cause them to bleed to death internally. Bummer for them.

Point being, other animals consuming a poisoned mouse/rat should have minimal risk of being effected by the poison/blood thinner. However, there is a difference between no risk and minimal risk.
An adolescent mouse can fit its body through a hole that is the size of a pen. An adult mouse can fit through a hole the size of a dime.Jun 16, 2020
An 1/8 inch would seem impossible?????

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
An adolescent mouse can fit its body through a hole that is the size of a pen. An adult mouse can fit through a hole the size of a dime.Jun 16, 2020
An 1/8 inch would seem impossible?????
Sorry, it is a quarter of an inch that an adult mouse can fit through. The limitation is the skull.

It is crazy small for sure and hard to prevent their entry.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I just saw this on another forum. Looks like it'd zap the chit out of the mice.
I'm going to rig one up and plug it into a GFCI outlet in the shop.

917_756ac3dbefecbaa6acb8e1d09ef6bee19cb925f5.jpeg
Seon, if you plug it into a GFCI it won't work unless you don't hook the ground up. A GFCI monitors the difference in current going out on the black wire to the amount coming back on the white wire, if its more than 5 milliamps it trips. If you use the ground wire that current will split to both wires and it will trip. You can use the ground wire for support to mount it to your mesh but don't connect it to the plug ground prong.

Last edited:

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
I do this in the cellar where no pets will be since my wife freaks out whenever there’s even a single mouse in the house.

561F9FBA-7D94-4A9B-AB72-CBB09456A1A3.jpeg

In the detached garage and cold storage I use the “rolling log” in a bucket technique since the cats have access and are kept inside when it’s really cold. One is a kit purchased from Amazon like this one, but the rest I’ve 3D printed some bushings that fit into electrical conduit and rotate around an aluminum rod. I’ve found they work better than the spring traps, and I can let a bunch of dead ones float for a long time before I empty it.

B2F2BA3D-A5C6-4751-B273-BF51DE079958.jpeg

There’s a guy on YouTube that buys and tests all sorts of mouse and rat traps - both present day and antique designs. Pretty crazy to see all the ideas that have been built.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When I was 10 I invented a mouse trap box with a pressure sensitive floor that let you know the mouse was in there with a light on top. The spring loaded trap door was triggered by the mouse pulling on the bate on the opposite side of the box. Worked perfectly but didn't kill the mouse so mom said I couldn't use it in the house unless it killed the mouse too. I didn't want to kill the mice so I scrapped it after a few catch and releases. :laugh2