Jim Sullivan’s work…

409Kid

Well Known Member
Are these Z-11 pieces? I’ll need to have my bumpers welded / repaired and replated. Can you PM me his contact information?

Last edited:

409Kid

Well Known Member
I have recently found a good chrome shop regionally. But I’m really nervous about sending my Z-11 bumpers anywhere for fear of them disappearing. I’ve heard too many horror stories of parts mysteriously being lost. My back bumper is intact but the front center piece is going to require welding repairs where it bolts to the outers. The flange where the attaching hardware securing the pieces is broken. In fact I’m going to disassemble the pieces to store them as they are quite fragile. I hoping I can find someone who can properly repair the flanges. The chrome is also lifting and there is light corrosion which is another reason why I want to get these cleaned up and taken care of.

409Kid

Well Known Member
I’m wondening if I should just strip and polish them. CA is changing the type of chrome to be used. I don’t think it has the same luster as the old chrome process. Is it possible the bumpers were simply flash chromed in the way the rocker arms were done? My bumpers have obviously been reworked before and I can see press marks on the back sides to correct previous damage on the wings.

Also I only have the mounting brackets that go forward from the frame horns. I do not have the diagonal braces to support the outer wings. Were they aluminum, steel or was there any at all ? In a couple of pics of the Bayer car the front wings are already sagging. And my forward braces look to be obviously bent. Raj had mentioned to me that the Bayer car had been rolled at one time and the roof was said to have been replaced, I can’t verify this as the car no longer exists. But there was obvious damage to the front bumpers and slight damage to the lower valance / grill extension. The fenders although reasonably straight seemed to have suffered from many dings to the sides. The tops of the fenders are relatively undamaged. The other story I’ve heard was that the fenders were already beat up on the car prior to delivery at Bader Chevrolet. Interesting back story about Jack not receiving the car he ordered. Blue instead of white. Cars got swapped accidently between two SoCal dealerships. But I’m getting sidetracked. Sorry

Last edited: