Jumped timing bent valves??

Moparboss

Well Known Member
If the jumped timing is caused by ignition,no,if it's the result of the cam timing jumping yes. We don't know how old/how many miles it has on it or anything about the car unless you tell us.I suggest pulling number one plug,bring the piston up to top dead center on the compression stroke and line up your timing marks.Pull the cap and see if the rotor is pointing at number one terminal on the cap.If it does,then your faiilure is in either the ignition system or the power going to it.IF the rotor does not line up,you have a mechanical issue and that could be several things.
Ok I did exactly that. Confirmed top dead center on cyl 1. Also Dist rotor is pointing at # 1 on cap! Thank God! So looks like it didn’t jump timing. Look like a possible ignition problem or Maybe a fueling issue. Thanks!

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You said it was popping out the exhaust. Could you tell which side was popping? I would pull that valve cover and have a look.

Moparboss

Well Known Member
Fellas thank you a bunch for the help! Pulled VC and put # 1 cyl at TDC. Dist Rotor is on terminal # 1! Also did compression test all cyl between 140-150. So looks like it didn’t jump timing. Also had my wife crank motor with garage light guys off. Saw allot of spark jumping around by the coil. So my belief is maybe a defective coil. I’ll tray that and update. Once again thanks to all you that provided feedback!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No one mentioned your timing mark might be off because your weight on your harmonic balancer is moving, time to replace it. Tried to put a light on and tune my 348 and that made it run like crap. Tuned it by ear and she ran hard. New harmonic balancer going on for me because my stock one isn't going to work anymore. Can have them rebuilt too.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I doubt that he has much of a damper issue after he followed directions and found that the dist.was pointing correctly at number 1 at tdc.The reason the marks couldn't be seen with the engine trying to run was because the fire is scattered all over the place due to that coil and ;possibly the module part of his conversion kit.

Moparboss

Well Known Member
Alright fellas, as it turned our many of you guys were correct. It was and is an ignition problem! When I slammed the hood the clear tape that held in the 8 little tiny magnets on my (Ignitor Solid State Ignition Part# 1181 GM--V8 Electronic Conversion Kit 1957-74) four of them fell out because the clear tape was old and brittle and the magnet glue was no longer holding. 4 of the magnets fell out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 4

Moparboss

Well Known Member
What is your carb?
You said its electronic ignition now...is coil an EI coil or points coil?
My carb is a Carter WCFB 4 BBL. I just rebuilt it. It’s works perfect. I did find out it was a ignition problem inside the distributor. 4 of the magnets on the pick up ring fell out when I slammed the hood LOL.

Attachments

• 015F3E72-2B52-4324-BC7B-91494D4421D8.jpeg
    015F3E72-2B52-4324-BC7B-91494D4421D8.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 8