Late Great Chevy Association

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Hi folks!
Just curious, is Late Great Chevys still around? When I was a kid I has a subscription with them and bought many, many parts from them for my old 61 convertible. Now 20 some years later I now have a 63 and can't find them. Are they out of business?

Reactions: 327

62BillT

Well Known Member
They got bought out by Eckler's. Soon after we had a falling out and I quit the so called "club". That had to be about 20 years ago. I am still a member of the National Impala Association though as well as the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America. Those are two real clubs.

If you need any parts today, I would recommend Hubbard's in NC.

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
They got bought out by Eckler's. Soon after we had a falling out and I quit the so called "club". That had to be about 20 years ago. I am still a member of the National Impala Association though as well as the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America. Those are two real clubs.

If you need any parts today, I would recommend Hubbard's in NC.
Gotcha. About the time I sold my 61, they added up to 72 chevys as well IIRC. They had a lot of restoration parts and I got most from them. I will check out Hubbards.
Thanks!

62BillT

Well Known Member
OK, if I have my history correct, it started out as the Classic Chevy Club for '55-'57's around 1974. It then became the Classic Chevy International and I believe it somehow either merged or extended into becoming the Late Great Chevys. Lastly bought out by Eckler's. Historians out there, verify my info to be correct or feel free to revise anything that is not. Anyway, I had a '56 Nomad and joined the original club in '75. My club number was #792.

What helps me to remember this is when I sold my Nomad in '82, I stopped my membership. The way I understood it as when you got a number it was supposed to stay assigned to you whether you were a member or not. When I re-joined the LGC around '92, I asked for my original number back and was told I couldn't have it. Instead of 792, they gave me something like 100792.

Last edited:

blkss64

Well Known Member
I also was a member of LGC’s. Membership number 1392. After many years at renewal time I bought the lifetime membership. When Ecklers bought them out they sent me a letter indicating that they would not honor my lifetime membership and the renewal would start up again. I said wait a minute, you bought LGC lock, stock and barrel. You have to honor this. They agreed. From that time forward, they put an expiration date of 2030 on the mailing label. I think the magazine lasted a few more years then they stated that they would no longer be sending a monthly publication and they would have it on their website from now on. I never bothered to check it out online.

ehernan3

Well Known Member
I was also a member in the 90's, then when I had to put my car project on hold, I let the membership expire. When I got back into it, it was Ecklers.

I assume there are no more LGC conventions, at least they're not called LGC anymore. Are they called something else? Or nothing of that kind(limited to 58-64) exists anymore?

Last one I attended was 1997, Akron Ohio.

I was also member of National Impala Association, but for some reason, didn't think to look them up again.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My number i think was 4403 and i like the club and went to there convention in Indy in the late 90s and a couple of the regional shows in nashville in the early 2000s and had a good time and i liked there mounthly magizine but times change

Reactions: 327

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I also was a member of LGC’s. Membership number 1392. After many years at renewal time I bought the lifetime membership. When Ecklers bought them out they sent me a letter indicating that they would not honor my lifetime membership and the renewal would start up again. I said wait a minute, you bought LGC lock, stock and barrel. You have to honor this. They agreed. From that time forward, they put an expiration date of 2030 on the mailing label. I think the magazine lasted a few more years then they stated that they would no longer be sending a monthly publication and they would have it on their website from now on. I never bothered to check it out online.
I too was a member in both LGC and CCI. When LGC came out with their Lifetime Membership I sent them a check which they cashed (I still have the cashed check) but still kept sending me nasty notes that I need to pay for my renewal. After a lot of back and forth they still claimed I hadn't paid even after I sent them a copy of the cashed check. They eventually stopped publishing and sold out so I never got my money's worth. Eklers is a mess. I ordered some parts from them a year ago and just 2 days ago they finally said they would cancel one item that was not in stock at the time I ordered.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The only problem i ever had out of late great was back when they had a buy or sell listing in the monthly magazine I send a request in with a hand written note and they sent it back saying it had to be typed at that time i did not have a way to type and did not know how to type anyway i thought that was kinda uppity

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The original founder of those two clubs 55-57 Classic Chevy and and 58-64 Late Great Chevys is Danny Howell.
He sold to Ecklers -He now has Southeast Chevy parts in Apopka, Florida sells lots of parts
They put on the CCC and LGC conventions with local club sponsors including 1000 point judging

Paul
I had lifetime member #6610 - had it as I recall for 10 years with LGChevy ( until they sold) + 4-5 years Lifetime with Ecklers until they stopped the magazine - still have a account ending in my lifetime # - don’t order from them now for at least 3 years - sales tax and shipping was tipping point

I have 4 - 1000 point awards from Late Great Chevy conventions for my restored 1962’s from 987 to 993 points out of 1000 points.

Paul