Look What followed Me Home Today

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The new gas thank showed up Friday. I put it in Saturday added a quart and a half of tranny flid to the turboglide and we took the Bel-Air for a test run around the neighborhood with no problems so we decided to take her to the show today. 120 mile round trip with no problems. The Bel-Air led the pack of eleven cars from my car club and was a big hit at the show.:clap:clap

Attachments

• shelton show Belair Impala.jpg
    shelton show Belair Impala.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 115

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had a good laugh when you put the transmission fluid into it. I bought a '66 Chevy II wagon many years ago for $50.00....... It was in really good shape except the transmission slipped in low and would continually jump into low at highway speeds. My sister drove it for 6 years after I put 2 quarts of transmission fluid into it.

Dave

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had a good laugh when you put the transmission fluid into it. I bought a '66 Chevy II wagon many years ago for $50.00....... It was in really good shape except the transmission slipped in low and would continually jump into low at highway speeds. My sister drove it for 6 years after I put 2 quarts of transmission fluid into it.

Dave

Dave, That is funny...I bought a 66' Chevy II 2-dr hardtop 283 powerglide in 1975. My first car. It also had the same problem you described, had to get it up to about 75 mph before it would shift into drive....:doh but, the added trany fluid did not fix the problem. I bought another powerglide for 25.00 put it in and she cruised for many miles.:deal

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
What a beautiful car! Perhaps the most attractive of the '61 line up. All the grace and charm of an Impala - without that extra pair of tail lights to complicate things.

:cheers

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Dan

Great find :bow:bow:bow

and to add just tranny fluid and cruise to a show :clap:clap

enjoy the car and the summer

best fo fluck

roger

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Roger, Thanks for the complement. It was fun parking the two cars next to each other. I had a sign in the Bel-Air that said Survivor and a sign in the Impala that said Parts....Told everyone I was parting the Impala to fix the Bel-Air....:roll I was surprised at how many people asked what parts were for sale...:stooges The Impala won what they call the JFK category best 60'-63' out of over 500 cars...:clap

Roger, on another note it looks like you are running the manual brakes on your 61? Are you also running manual steering and, if so are you using the idler? I also would be interested to know what pulleys. Thats the plan for the Bel-Air.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have been working on the Bel-Air trying to get it ready for the summer. I put all new brakes, brake lines, wheel bearings. Fixed the choke tube. Removed grill, bumpers, rear moldings and tail light housings, buffed it up, cut two coils out of all four springs, put new shocks on, bought a set of wheels and tires from a friend that won them at our rod run two years ago 15X7X4 BS with 235/60 front 245/60 rear. Removed the valances straightened and painted. The metal was very good no rust. Cut the right rear 1/4 off just below the bumper and replaced with another 1/4 I found and repainted. The old lady that owed the car let a rag and a rope fall down inside from the trunk and it rotted out about 2" of the outer panel. The inner panel was good. A friend of mine gave me a nice one piece bumper to replace mine that had been hit. He also threw in the 348 badge. Anyway here are some pics.

Attachments

• 61' Bel-Air Driver 4-19-09.jpg
    61' Bel-Air Driver 4-19-09.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 61' Bel-Air Kim.jpg
    61' Bel-Air Kim.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 61' Bel-Air Kim & Waco.jpg
    61' Bel-Air Kim & Waco.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 61' Bel-Air Rear 4-19-09.jpg
    61' Bel-Air Rear 4-19-09.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 77

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Dan,
The car is looking great :bow:bow

Mine is coming along. I have the original 348 & PG sitting on the floor. I bought brand new from a friend who didn't need them..... Torque Thrusts 15 x 7 with 225/60/15 for the front and 15 x 8 with 235/60/15 on the back. I do like the way yours fit............I might change the tires and put the 235's on the front and get 245's for the rear......

Dave

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave, I was going to put the 235's on the back but decided to go with the 245's and glad I did. When I bought the wheels from my friend he was running the 235's on the back with 195/60's on the front of a 51' Merc with air. I swapped out the 195's for the 245's.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice find Dan from the pic's you posted it looks real clean. easy restore?:dunno Good luck. Ken

gbafus

Well Known Member
Oh man! If only I'd known! I live about 5-10 miles from where you bought that car, in Camas, WA.:doh
Just as well that you got it, though. If I'd bought it, I'd have to live in it, as wifey would have ......you know............:takethat

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What a great car! I really like 1961 Bel Air Sport Coupes. I think they actually have a prettier interior than their sister.....the 1962 Bel Air Sport Coupe. I love the door panel design and the three small, thin stripes on the seats. You know, it's something else to think about how much more money this car would be worth if it was the Holy Grail '62 model! They are so close to being the same car. The dash is very similar and I think even the doors are interchangable. I've always considered these '61 Bel Air Bubbletops "sleepers" as they are kind of 'under the RADAR' while everybody is chasing the '62's. As much as I'd love to own another '62 BA Sport Coupe, if the right '61 BA Sport Coupe popped up for the right price, I'd snatch it up and would be quite content with it!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mark, Thanks for the kind words. I am very happy I found this car. Its not going anywhere.....:deal