Looking at a 1963 SS 425 horse 409 car

LowKat

Well Known Member
Went with a friend to pick up some Caddy parts. Behind a cyclone fence I see a few project cars including a "not bad" 63 SS with 409 emblems. I couldn't get up close but could see it's a 4 speed car with a dash cutout for a tach. Owner wasn't there but I talked to him on the phone yesterday. He says it's real and his plan was to restore but now he's overwhelmed with projects. Said he'd sell and he's not in a hurry. Also says has the original engine out of the car, original carbs, intake, dash tach and trans. No exhaust manifolds. Next he said he's really busy and it'd be best if we talked in person. I'm going to look next Friday. I'd like to go armed with as much info as possible. I'll take lots of pictures, do my research, then decide. Price is 12K firm. It's not advertised anywhere. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Were the engines stamped with a VIN?
Is the intake dated?
Carbs Julian dated? on tags?
Any certain assembly plants for the car?
Only 409 cars had the return fuel line?
Redline on tach different for hipo 409?
Transmission an M20 or M21? Were early cars a B/W T10?
Any idea on production numbers

Thanks ~Mark

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
  • Yes the 1963 engines should have the serial number of the car before the engine stamp on the passenger side of the block if original to the car.
  • I owned a 1963 SS 409 - 340 HP -4 speed convertible as I recall it had the serial number.
  • The 2-4(ending in 881) and single 4 409 aluminum intakes are dated on the bottom of the intake under the metal oil shield
  • Carbs if original should be 3361 and 3362. Numbers are on the passenger side front of the carbs - date is listed with the carb number.
  • All GM plants to my knowledge built 409's.
  • All factory 63 409's if original have to have a return line and a 3/8 inch gas line that runs under the passenger side A frame.
  • Also all 409's had deep groove pulleys, including the alternator, must have 409 fan shroud.
  • The wiring harness to the starter must have a ballast resistor(originally screwed to the firewall) to be a factory 409 car (if original harness is still on or with the car).
  • If its a factory 4 speed car and has back up lights the firewall will be drilled for a factory four speed back up light wiring harness -hole is located toward the passenger side of the firewall carb linkage.
  • Redline on tach is 6200 RPM for 425 HP (2-4 409).
  • Yes early 1963 cars were BW 4 speed and later ones were Muncies.
  • Make sure you get all the cowl tag info(cowl tag is on the top of the cowl next to grille by windshield) and serial number to verify the car - the build date(number and letter) is above the 63 -1847 on the cowl tag.
  • The only production numbers available are the total number of 409's installed in all passenger 1963 Chevy's.
  • All factory SS cars had buckets that fold at a angle, have SS trunk panels and SS side chrome (with swirls)
Check this link from our site:
http://www.348-409.com/348409identify.html

Paul

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Went with a friend to pick up some Caddy parts. Behind a cyclone fence I see a few project cars including a "not bad" 63 SS with 409 emblems. I couldn't get up close but could see it's a 4 speed car with a dash cutout for a tach. Owner wasn't there but I talked to him on the phone yesterday. He says it's real and his plan was to restore but now he's overwhelmed with projects. Said he'd sell and he's not in a hurry. Also says has the original engine out of the car, original carbs, intake, dash tach and trans. No exhaust manifolds. Next he said he's really busy and it'd be best if we talked in person. I'm going to look next Friday. I'd like to go armed with as much info as possible. I'll take lots of pictures, do my research, then decide. Price is 12K firm. It's not advertised anywhere. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Were the engines stamped with a VIN?
Is the intake dated?
Carbs Julian dated? on tags?
Any certain assembly plants for the car?
Only 409 cars had the return fuel line?
Redline on tach different for hipo 409?
Transmission an M20 or M21? Were early cars a B/W T10?
Any idea on production numbers

Thanks ~Mark
Happy hunting. Sounds like you could be on to something mighty fine.

Gav

Pats 409

Well Known Member
Info above is most of what you will need to check but just to verify I have a numbers matching 63 409/340 and yes the last of the Vin is stamped on the right front of the deck surface and the last of the vin is also stamped in my transmission case I have an early 63 so it is a T-10. Also some of the higher horse 327 cars used the return fuel line also.