LS1 in 61 Impala

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know its a sin, but Im considering putting a LS1 in my 61 Impala. Maybe a 6 speed. Anyone attempted this change , problems, etc? Whats the availability of conversion parts. Thanks Larry

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
You won't get any help with this swap here on this forum due to member interests.

I advise you peruse LS1tech.com for the majority of the information you seek, as well as do a search on ChevyTalk.com.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You won't get any help with this swap here on this forum due to member interests.

I advise you peruse LS1tech.com for the majority of the information you seek, as well as do a search on ChevyTalk.com.

Seems like a harsh statement since it appeares that 61Biscayne had already tried to give him some good information. However it seems like it would make sense that a LS1 site might have more interest in that conversion but are unlikely to give any help or advise on 409 conversions. I have looked at the Chevytalk site and while there are some knowledgeable people there they seem to stumble around the subject without really answering anything?

SpeedyV10

I think that Rubes on this site was working on a similiar swap in his '61. I may be mistaken but maybe drop him a PM?:dunno

While I have huge respect for restored cars, I also love hot rods. I say start wrenching on your LS1 swap, and keep us posted. I'd love to hear and see how it turns out! :brow

Rubes

Yep...doing one as we speak (type?). PM or email me and I'll give ya all the info I know since no one else here cares to know. And yeah, chevy talk is full of just that...talk. seems like alot of guys there don't know much about anything.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep...doing one as we speak (type?). PM or email me and I'll give ya all the info I know since no one else here cares to know. And yeah, chevy talk is full of just that...talk. seems like alot of guys there don't know much about anything.

Yup.. but they have allot of O-p-i-n-i-o-n-s with thier talk:roll

The LS swap is a breeze. The PDF has most of the info but I am sure there are other ways as well. Me I likes RATS in mine :D

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Seems like a harsh statement since it appeares that 61Biscayne had already tried to give him some good information.

I'm basing my statement on past discussions that have taken place here about the new LSx engines in these cars. You could count the number of us here on this forum on one hand (ok, maybe 1.5 hands) that would have an interest in entertaining such a conversion.

There are a few guys on CT that have put LSx engines into X-Frames (with KoolKustom probably being the most helpful); you really have to PM them directly for answers, though. Threadwise, you'll have to dig since most of the guys there are the anti-modern types, but there are a couple discussing the LSx into X-Frame.

Rubes, you should post your swap on LS1Tech. They always like seeing the LSx being put into an older Chevy.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Personally I would like to see and hear about this swap. This forum is about 58-64 X framed cars not just 348-409's. This is a hobby of many different tastes. Just the love of these old cars and keeping them alive and on the road weather they are restored, street rodded, raced or what ever should be appreciated. No one special interest group should discourage another from posting or disusing anothers interest. Just my opinion and that is that...:cool:

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't think anyone is trying to discourage the swap but it seems likely that the information would be readily available on the LS1 sight. I read the posted article and found it to be informative, actually I'm not sure what more you need to know to do the swap. I'm sure that a lot of people would do this changeover if it is really that simple. :dunno :dunno

Bill

Rubes

Rubes- How 'bout some progress pics of your '61? I'd like to see 'em!
:bow
Not much to see right now. Just some frame rails stickin' out from the fire wall. Just installed the AirRide on the front last week. Hope to drop the motor in in a couple weeks. I'll have updates on pro-touring.com

Yup.. but they have allot of O-p-i-n-i-o-n-s with thier talk:roll
Opinions that are stated as facts:doh

Rubes, you should post your swap on LS1Tech. They always like seeing the LSx being put into an older Chevy.
Yeah, I'm on there too. But just like here they are more interested in just 4 gen camaros and firebirds.

Personally I would like to see and hear about this swap.
As stated above, it's a pretty easy deal. However, I ran into an "issue" that no one ever mentioned. Using an F-body pan, I had to clearance the front cross member some. I used the carshopinc plates and energy suspension poly mounts and the pan wouldn't clear. If I lifted it enough to clear, I couldn't get the correct u-joint angles. It was 6 degrees of angle on the u-joints. I didn't want any chance of vibrations, so I took the time to clearance the x-member. I could have cut the floor to rais the back of the trans, but chose not to. By the way, I'm using a 4L60E. the 700R trans crossmember from BowTie Overdrives worked good for me, just needed to lengthen the slots a bit. A/C will not clear in the stock F-body location and I haven't worked that out yet. Alternator hits the 605 steering box, but I ground the box a bit and it should be good to go. The plastic shroud on the back of the alternator also needs to be trimmed. I am just going to use stock exhaust manifolds. Driveshaft from Inland Empire Driveline with Billet poly bearing. or shorten the front section and get a new yoke for the trans of choice.

Thats about it for now. Really no more difficult than any other engine change out, except for the wiring, but a speartech standalone harness is all you need. I'm doing my own. Id be curious what I'm doing wrong that I had to mod the frame for pan clearance and no one else did.:dunno

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
I recently saw an ad for LSx long tube headers in an X-frame. I don't remember details now. I'll try to find it and post the info.

Rubes

I recently saw an ad for LSx long tube headers in an X-frame. I don't remember details now. I'll try to find it and post the info.
That would be interesting...I didn't even look 'cause this was supposed to be a "budget" build:roll Motor is just a stock '01 camaro. 325HP is fine for just a cross country cruiser. this was meant as something I can jump in and take ANYWHERE. I got enough garage queens...time for a bad azz skanky beotch, rusty fenders and all...LOL

61chevy1gp5.jpg

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WOW, thanks for the responses and tips. Didn't mean to start a war over old vs new. I've had several BBs over the years and a few 409s. It gets hot here in Phoenix and its really hard to run 409s with A/C.
When I saw Cecil at the front door this morning I knew was in trouble, but he was very kind and understanding. Thanks again. AZ409

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
X Frame LSx Headers

:doh After hunting down the ad I saw for LSx headers it was for '64-72 A bodies. :dunno getting old I guess:roll

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:doh After hunting down the ad I saw for LSx headers it was for '64-72 A bodies. :dunno getting old I guess:roll

64'-72' A bodies must be talking about Chevelles? Never new GM used these terms to identify their bodies...:dunno Can someone please explain A body B body and what ever other letter in the alphabet that refers to these Chevrolet bodies...:scratch I have always just called them Chevelles, Camaros, Novas, ChevyII, Impalas, and so on. I remember in the 70's the Mopar guys always referring to their cars as A,B,C just thought it was a Mopar thing. Thanks Dan

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Dan: Us Chevy guys are smarter than the Mopar guys. We already know our A-B-C's. They had to learn their A-B-C's and E.:dunno :roll Skip:)