LS1 in 61 Impala

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan: Us Chevy guys are smarter than the Mopar guys. We already know our A-B-C's. They had to learn their A-B-C's and E.:dunno :roll Skip:)

Skip, I was wondering if these guys are just using that term or if GM realy did refrance these bodies as A,B,C &,E. By the way what does the E stand for....Excuse me....:cuss

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Yes Gm, did have letters to identify their different car's. I don't know what they were though. Cecil would know the answer to that. The Mopar E- bodies were Cuda's and Challenger's. A-bodies were Duster's, Demon's & Valient's. As p-wee Herman used to say." Excuuuuuss Me. haa, haa ":roll :roll Skip:)

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill, Thanks for posting that. Now I know my abcdefghjx's &, y's .....hmmmm...:scratch

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can someone tell me what years GM made these LS engines and, the new engines that are in the Pickups 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 &, the 8.1 are these LS engines as well and if not what are they?

Rubes

I'm pretty sure the LS1 (or Gen3 engine series) started in '98. LS1/LS6 are Gen3, LS2/LS7 are Gen4. The truck engines are basically the same. Iron blocks vs aluyminum, different heads, intakes, accessory drive systems, etc. It seems it's a little trickier to swap parts around than the old gen one engines. but with an easy heads/cam swap you can be in the 400+ HP category and still reliable.

I won't go much farther than that, since I'm not totally up on all the numbers, and LS1tech is the easiest best place to research.

GMC_DUDE

Yeah it's a bit confusing. The proper term for the engine groups as a whole are Gen 3 and Gen 4. The Gen 3 group (which I am most familiar with) started out in 1997 as the LS1 in the Corvette. This is a 5.7L (345 CID) engine with aluminum block and heads. Starting in 1999, the design was used as truck engines having displacements of 4.8L (293 CID), 5.3L (325 CID) and 6.0L (364 CID). These engines have iron blocks and aluminum heads, except for the 1999 and 2000 6.0L engines which have iron heads, and a few 2004+ 5.3L's which have Al blocks. The engines are all essentially identical externally, differing mainly in bore and stroke, and the car engines having different accessories to accommodate hood clearance issues. However, as always GM keeps monkeying with the design each year so there are some slight variations. For example: Last summer I swapped out the 4.8L in my 2003 truck for a 6.0L. Externally the two engines are identical, and if I hadn't painted the 4.8 orange, it would have been difficult to tell them apart. The swap couldn't have been easier. But internally the 6.0 (a 2005 model crate engine) uses different head bolts and connecting rods than a true 2003 6.0 has.

Anyway a bit of interesting trivia. According to one book I have, GM was looking to build a new generation of truck engines, but wanted to do a pilot run on something lower in volume so they could work the bugs out before committing to their high volume truck production lines. So they built the LS1 for the low volume Corvette, got the kinks ironed out in 2 years, then put the design into their trucks. Sort of the opposite of the 348/409 engine, which started life as a truck engine, then found its way into performance cars.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Computer and wiring harness for LS1

Hello,

A friend of mine just did a conversion in a 1962 SS Impala. He's been doing tune ports for years in different classic car projects. The engine and assemble will be a project but not a feat as every thing fits and you'll need too buy a coversion kit for the shifter unless your seat seats right for you and have the drive shaft made for your application. Where you really need to have knowledge is in the wiring harness for the onboard computer and install of this part of the project. Word too the wise in the main hot lead coming from the battery back to the fuse box fuse this lead with a circuit breaker type fuse 30A but make sure you size too what your wire guage size is for this lead.

Enjoy your project and build!!!!!:)

Ted

Our1962 Impala 409/409 4 Speed 411 P rear-end

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sort of the opposite of the 348/409 engine, which started life as a truck engine, then found its way into performance cars.

GMC DUDE, Thanks for clearing that up. What about the 8.1 is that a LS engine as well? Also the 348/409 did not start out as a truck engine it was used in passenger cars and found its way into the trucks.

GMC_DUDE

GMC DUDE, Thanks for clearing that up. What about the 8.1 is that a LS engine as well? Also the 348/409 did not start out as a truck engine it was used in passenger cars and found its way into the trucks.

It did???? Hmmm... I always thought it (348) started out as a truck engine, and then GM moved the 348 into the largest chevy cars around 1958 when they got too heavy for the small blocks to push them. Will research and report back.

Anyway, I didn't mention the 8.1L (496 CID) engine because it is not really a Gen 3 / LSx engine, but is sort of an updated rat (big block) motor. So I guess it's pedigree would trace to the W engine in a very indirect way.

UPDATE: From this very site:

"The 348 was originally scheduled to be used only in Chevrolet trucks. More cubic inches were needed in the passenger cars so the 348 was used there as well. "

So the 348 was SUPPOSED to start life as a truck only engine, but was needed in the heavier cars, so Chevrolet put it in both simultaneously. Ergo the common confusion about the W engine being a "Truck Motor".

Edit Again: Looking at the specs page, it says the W was only used in trucks in the year 1965!! Now I'm really confused... :dunno

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Anyway, I didn't mention the 8.1L (496 CID) engine because it is not really a Gen 3 / LSx engine, but is sort of an updated rat (big block) motor. So I guess it's pedigree would trace to the W engine in a very indirect way.

UPDATE: From this very site:

"The 348 was originally scheduled to be used only in Chevrolet trucks. More cubic inches were needed in the passenger cars so the 348 was used there as well. "

So the 348 was SUPPOSED to start life as a truck only engine, but was needed in the heavier cars, so Chevrolet put it in both simultaneously. Ergo the common confusion about the W engine being a "Truck Motor".

Edit Again: Looking at the specs page, it says the W was only used in trucks in the year 1965!! Now I'm really confused... :dunno

The 348 was discontinued after 1961 in passenger cars. Chevrolet introduced the 327 in passenger cars in 1962 but, continued to use the 348 in trucks through 1965. This also contributes to some of the confusion of being a truck engine.
I kind of thought that the 8.1 was just that updated BBC. Would it be a Mark VI. then or Gen 6?

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
The reason I said A body rather than Chevelle is that the headers in question were for the GM A body platform that includes Chevelle, El Camino, GTO , Tempest, Le Mans, Cutlass, 442, Skylark, and GS.

bilkay

Supporting Member 1
bilkay

hay,
i've got a 64 belair with a 502 ramjet and richmond 6 speed.
the problem with the richmond is the shifter location,and mount.
the mount has to be moved back 3 1/2 inches.
this puts the shifter right up against the seat.(especially:) if your a short guy like me 5'7. no problem if you use bucket seats.
mounts for LS1 can be gotten from WWW.hotrodlane.cc in ark.
hope this is of some help. billy

threepedals

Supporting Member 1
I'm in the process of installing an L92 engine and TKO600 5 speed manual trans in my '61 bubbletop. The L92 is the current Escalade engine, and is sort of a mix between the LS2 and LS3, in that it has better flowing heads like the LS3. It is all aluminum, and has the L76 heads, which are the hot ticket right now. I would have gone with the LS3, but it's not available new standalone yet. The L92 has similar peak power specs as the LS2, but makes 50 lb/ft more torque at 1,000 RPM. It displaces 6.2L instead of the 6.0 from the LS2.

I chose the TKO600 5 speed over the T56 since I wanted to keep the bench seat, and everyone I spoke to said that would be impossible with the T56, since the shifter is mounted so far back. D&D Performance hooked me up with the trans and a shifter with the right offset to keep the shifter handle in the stock location.

LS1Tech.com is great, but most of those people are running '67-69 F bodies, so there is very little Impala-specific info available.

I went with a Speartech harness, including the drive by wire throttle. I ordered a hydraulic clutch master cylinder bracket from Street & Performance, as well as their T56 crossmember. I think I'll have to reposition the trans mount pad to accomodate the shorter TKO600 trans, but for the price I figured their crossmember was a good head start. I'm better at welding than bending :)

I'll post my website when it's up, for now I'm focused on getting this thing together in time for spring.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Hopefully I'll be test fitting the engine within the next week.

Josh

front%20wheel%20fitment.jpg

threepedals

Supporting Member 1
I finally had a chance to test fit the L92. I need to switch to the F-body oil pan, as the truck pan is too deep, and there is a little kick out on the passenger side that interferes with the crossmember.

I went with the stock Escalade accessories. The a/c bracket will definitely hit the crossmember, however I can notch that bracket enough (I think) to clear the crossmember. Once I put on the new oil pan and notch the bracket, I'll try another test fit. Hopefully the compressor clears - it looks close, but possible. I considered going with an aftermarket accessory setup - it would cost about $1,000 more, but would have no clearance issues and would certainly look nicer. However, for that kind of money, looks from the driver's seat are far more important to me!

In case you're wondering, the plastic on the fenders is from my under-hood sanding & painting project underway ... not for dent protection :)

Josh

l92testfit.jpg

matdean

Josh, any updates?

Will the truck intake clear? THat seams to be the big issue, that and the accesories.

Post some more pics too!!! :)

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
x body LSx conversions

go for it Larry... gas is getting bad enough and one W motor with 2X4's is enough for me ---- I pulled a 4.8 out of my 05 silverado at 12000 mi. and installed a 6.0 and then I couldn't give away the 4.8 so am thinking about putting it in my 61 wagon with a 4L60E trans. and using it for a power tour cruiser etc. --- anything involving distance(i'll just keep the hood closed, heh,heh) Seemed to be alot of useful info on the 60 biscayne swap(LS1) keep us posted, Dean