Manual tire changer

bobs409

Administrator
Has anyone here ever used one of these or even maybe own one? (and willing to publically admit it) lol I was thinking of getting one. Thought I better ask first though.

I checked ebay and there are quite a few similar ones and some have bids so... im not the only nut out there. :D

I can get this one for about $34 plus tax, no shipping at a Harbour freight store.

I used to be able to get a tire changed for $2 bucks but now your looking at $8-10 a piece. If this thing works, could save some money. Might even be able to buy some gasoline someday with the money I save! :D

Attachments

• tirechanger.jpg
    tirechanger.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 185

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Tire changer for the tough guys.

Bob, I have not used or have I seen one of those used. I have a pneumatic tire changer that I bought used from a shop here in town. I can tell you that even with the pneumatic changer that after four tires, thats four off the car, four off the rim, four on the rim and four on the car I'm bushed, played out! I bought my air powered changer for $100.00. Look around before you invest in the manual one. If you can't find an air powered changer the manual one will still be for sale!
:cheers

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Tire changer

Bob
Don't do it. :rolleyes: :cuss

I'm with fatride and purchased a used tire (air) changer (Coates 1010) about 20 years ago along with a bubble balancer.........the best investment I ever made.
Paid about $300 for both but of course had to upgrade my compressor but believe me........worth every penny.
That manual job can be a back breaker. I worked at ashop years ago with a manual changer and it worked but was a pain.

Look in your local paper under garage equipment and buy an air machine.
If you are like me you will pay for it pretty quick and save a lot of inconvenience.....just keep your fingers clear when inflating.

One of the reasons I bought a proper changer is that akid at a station busted one of my Cragar SS rims. The owner replaced it but said he wouldn't chnage any more.
I do them all myself now with no hassles or problems.

Good luck
BJ :cheers

bobs409

Administrator
Wish I could find one for $100! They sell for alot more than that, at least the ones I've seen.

I used to work in a garage and I was the tire guy so I could work one of them with my eyes closed. (and sometimes did when I was hungover which was just about every morning) :D

I really don't have the room for one or change that many tires so I haven't seriously considered the pnuematic one. It would just be the occasional tire change that I would need to do. (like 2-4 per year) When buying new tires, the mounting is free so wouldn't need it for those.

BTW, I know all about those Cragar SS wheels! :cuss They were notorious for breaking the centers. I had that happen to a new set of my own. (no, it wasn't me that broke it) :p Those wheels had some type of alloy centers. That's why they would peel too. Sure glad I don't have any of those anymore.

Oh well, I was hoping someone would say these manual changers were worth buying. Good thing I asked. :)

Hey, how about the Harbor Freight bubble balancers??? :D

Thanks.

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Somehow it works for some people

My brother has a manual changer exactly like the one pictured. He's mounted and dismounted tires with it probably 20 times. He doesn't even have it bolted down to anything to make it stable. I tried it once and it frustrated the heck out of me so I gave up. I need to watch how he does it.

62BillT

Well Known Member
When it came to Cragar mags, I used to do them by hand on the concrete floor. The hardest part is breaking down the bead. A friend of mine has a bead breaker and I sure could have used one of them back then. How I would break them down was with a bumper jack and the front end of my truck. But anyway for changing regular type wheels, I looked for a manual changer for years to step up in the world. Back then the only ones I could find was a new manual one by Coats which was in the hundreds. I would have loved the one by Harbor Frieght. Later on in years I found a used Coats 10-10 which I use now. I would say the one by Harbor would be a good choice in your case Bob, especially for the price. The only thing is that I have never used one of theirs to say for sure. But if it was around years ago, I sure would have bought one.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks guys, im tempted to try it now. :D

I certainly wouldn't want to use it to do ALOT of tires, especially all at once but for the occasional job, it might be worth having.

I like doing my own stuff as much as possible so tools like this interest me. I hate asking for anyones help when im working on a car. I've even installed large hoods by myself. (not a smart thing to do as I could have ended up putting it through the windshield or pulled my back out... but....im stubborn that way) :D :p

Next time im at the Harbour freight store, im going to give that tire changer a good look over. If I get it, I'll post the results here. :deal

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob, We have one of those tire changers in our garage and it works great. the hardest part is breaking the bead. Once that is done the tire pretty much falls off the rim. The bead breaker part of that thing always slides off the tire. If you can get it to stay close to the rim it works good. It must be bolted down. I see no way what so ever that it could be used without it being anchored. Between myself by brother and my dad we have changed over 100 tires on the thing. Saved plenty of $$. At $8-$10 per tire if you change 4 tires with it. It has paid for itself.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Bungy! That's just what I wanted to hear. :D :cheers

I'll watch for a sale on it. I've seen it go for $34 at one of their stores.

BobsBB

Well Known Member
tire changer

I have a manual tire changer like that, been using it for years, once you get the bead breaking part down pat, its a nice tool to have around, I've changed many of tires with one...I like it, I also have a tri-pod manual bubble balancer, thats another handy item.. :cool:

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Bob, they also sell a bubble balancer for about $49 or so. I've been considering that too! :D

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Seon! That's great, no waiting for a sale. :cheers

When you ask for something on this board, you get the red carpet treatment! lol :D

BobsBB

Well Known Member
bubble balancer

Those manual bubble balencers work nice...you'll be happy after you get one, at $6.00-$10.00 a tire, you'll have it paid for in one 4 wheel-tire change.. :cheers

bobs409

Administrator
That's great news. :cheers

Hey, lets not stop there.... how about their manual pipe benders? LOL :D The only part that bugs me with that is to get the one that does 2 1/2 pipe, it costs $100 more!!! :mad: I just saw a sale on the one that goes up to 2 inch for only $69 smackers. (normally $99 or so I think)

Now lets see...what else is on my wish list? :p

36master

tire changer

Hey Bob, you are not the only one been wanting one of thoes changers and the bubble blancer.have used both,they are great.will check the local harbor freight store. 36master :cheers

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If you ever have trouble getting a newly mounted tire to inflate (often a problem with wide rims) :mad: try this. First, remove the valve core and make sure the compressor is right up to top pressure. If that doesn't work try using one of those nylon, rachet hold down straps wraped around the circumference of the tire in the middle of the tread. That will spread the beads. If that doesn't do it and it's Saturday night and you've just gotta get that tire on. :cuss Get rid of the strap. Get a can of starting fluid, (either) :eek: spray a little, and I mean a little into the tire. :( Lean away and strike a match. :eek: BOOM! Then add air quick before the beads loose there seal. Let the air back out once to make sure there's no either left in there and you're done! :cheers This may sound like a crazy way to inflate a tire and it is. :stooges but it works. Just remember a little starting fluid goes a long way. And Bob, I don't think we want to add this one to the Automotive tips and hints section. :D

BobsBB

Well Known Member
inflate

jims ss,
thats a radical way to mount a tire, I learned that trick ohhh about 20 years ago wile changing split rim tires...This ole timer used to spray a small amount of starting fluid in the tire wile on the rim, and a line of starter fluid on the floor (to the tire), lite the match, throw it on the floof, and KA-BOOM the bead was set !! worked every time...not the safe way to go, but it did the trick..

bobs409

Administrator
Yeh, we couldn't add that one at least not without a special disclaimer! :D

I like the one about wrapping the strap around the tire. Removing the stem core is something most do with the pnuematic changers too. I always left out the core when seating the tire bead. A high velocity of air is what your looking for. Pffffffffffffffffffft! :D