May be time for a change

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have this 67 Charger that I have been beating on for some time now but never had much love for it just a car that I came up with.
The car has a 383 with a 727 auto that started in the 15s and have tuned it down to a 12.98 with every poor mans trick i could throw at it.
Now I have had the car for sale many times but no luck (every one wants me to give it to them) and now thinking it needs some love.

So i have found some rear quarters for sale on the cheap and been thinking real strong on going in this direction with the car. What do you guys think?20150102_082025.jpg
From this Stardust66Charger.jpg
To this with a different paint job

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If I go this route it wont be for sale.
And look at all the parts I could sale to help fund the project.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
66/67 Chargers bring very good money, you must be dealing with a bunch of low lifes. If it's not a rust bucket it'll fetch $10K as it sits. I wouldn't ruin it with those qtrs. but it's your car.

409envy

Well Known Member
With all the money you will spend going the AWB route(unless you are a highly skilled chassis fabricator and if you are then by all means have at it).... why not just build a race Hemi and run 9's that way? Just a thought.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I can handle all the fab work.
Now a race Hemi that's another story. I am sure this will get a wedge

409envy

Well Known Member
I like it either way... my favorite time period in drag racing history! I say do it!
If I had to pick a Fav this would be it...
5562924316_199451dc61-jpg.46535

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It looks like the Limelight car just had the front moved forward and the Stardust car was first all steal then went to a glass body with the rear moved as far forward as they could go.
I am sure mine would be my Hillbilly version of the mix.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree with Boxerdog, car is too nice. However I happen to like that year chargers. In the long run it is your car, so it is up to you. Good luck and post pics if you change it.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Guess I will look for a Hemi with the dist in the front. And a clutch Flight
But by all means if someone thinks they want to save it from from my tilted mind make an offer.
It would take a bunch of work to make it a slick car as a driver.
Besides I swapped a Hemi into a roadrunner for these parts to build this car to the state its in.
I have made close to 50 passes in this thing but for some reason just never though of it as a street car.20150220_155907.jpg 20150220_155517.jpg 20150220_155643.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
My vote is to put this project on mothballs and save it for some later date. It'll only get more valuable over time :).

I have to admit I have some bias here. If he and I can stay focused and I can come up with capital then we can build the 1961 Biscayne drag car together with a real engine in it :). Clearly a 409 effort all the way :).

I have to admit, even though I am a "GM guy" those Charger fastbacks look pretty cool as from the factory. I think going AWB would devalue the car. But then that's my opinion.

Cheers!

Tom

P.S. Here's the back story on this car (James can correct me when I mess up the dates and the story). About 8 years ago a guy he and I both know bought a 1970 Road Runner in the heighth of the "Hemi craze". He took to the car to James' shop to remove the 383 and the rest of the drive train then stuck a crate Hemi in it and flipped it after putting a quickie paint job on it. I think he said he got $80K for it or something like that.... So there's this 383 and a rear end that was sitting around at James' shop. The guy located this Charger in a field and the three of us went out and pulled it up on a trailer and took it home for James. In short order James put this thing together and raced it for a while. Lately it's been sitting idle as I've been convincing James that X frame cars are real cool and 409 powered cars are even cooler. So he's "moved over" for the present. We're trying to continue that progress and build something fun to drive so we can attend these racing events that have been put together for us dedicated 409 guys :) :) :).

Last year we loaded up both the Charger and the BA409 car and took them out to the track in St. Louis. One of them came back whole (guess which one) and the Charger suffered some rear suspension damage. Fast forward to the current time. This coming weekend James was planning on taking them both up to Byron, IL for the Meltdown Drags, but only the BA409 car was race ready. There's always something the prevents one from reaching your objectives. :).

Hopefully the guys will have fun with my BA409 car and continue to catch the "409 fever" so we can continue to advance the various projects we have planned :).

Here's to a fun weekend in Byron, I wish I could join you guys! I will be in Cleveland visiting my Mom and some high schools buddies in our annual High School Reunion :).

Double cheers!

Tom