Michelle Obama writes a book

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
This is a very interesting thread. Some good view points. I've never, ever have been in the military. But that doesn't disqualify me from having an opinion. I have a great deal of respect for the service and sacrifice our veterans have made. When I see a person wearing a cap describing the war they were in or some facsimile, I approach them, shake their hand, and thank them for everything they have done for us. Being admittedly distant from this issue of women in combat, I'm sure some are very capable, but is this what we really want to do?? I don't think they should serve in combat situations. This is no reflection on them or their capabilities whatsoever. My biggest fear for them, is being captured and the physical torture they might be exposed to by virtue of their gender. I'm sure it won't be pretty. As for gays in the military, I'm sure they are very capable of doing their job, regardless what it is, but I have mixed feelings on this issue. Do we invoke the former or maybe present approach, don't ask-don't tell?? I honestly don't have an answer for this. Do we form a special unit as mentioned above, for gays only?? I don't think that would be good. Would I want to share a bathroom, shower, barracks, etc., with a gay soldier, honestly no. If wounded in combat, I wouldn't care who dragged me back; gay or straight. So, can you have it both ways?? I really don't know. These are just some of my thoughts certainly based on no direct military knowledge or experience, Carmine.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I support gays in the military and in civilian life. I wasnt always that way. Due to seeing gays doing and living regular lifes my views matured. Gays are Americans and deserve to serve if they so desire. All through our lives we have used public restrooms and showers, in schools, gyms, golf courses, etc. How many have honestly been hit on or even were aware a gay was there?
Im against women being front line troops because so many times women are the only ones who have enough sense to say "stop this destroying everything". I'd rather have women in more powerful positions calling war hawks or chicken hawks down from their desire to kill everyone elses kids.
Wirh that being said...if women desire to serve in front line units they should be able to volunteer and with that receive the very best training, weapons and tactics designed around women. Not for segregated units but for inclusion of men who also volunteer for these advanced units. SeaBee's, Rangers, SEAL's Counter Intel units are specially trained extremely effective units and these units could be also.
If my son ever comes to me to say he is gay i hope i would make him proud by embracing him with as much love and support as i ever have. If my daughter decides to be in the military i Pray she receives the very best training and equipment in the world.
I pray our elected officials put their bullshit to the side and do what needs to be done to bring this war to an end. Make no mistake, we are in World War III and the bodycount with be 10 times the hundred million from WW II just as WW II was 10 times the fatality rate of WW I.
BluCat thank you for your service and sacrifice and you are welcome for all us here for being so adament in our support of active duty, retired and all other Veterans.
BKO USN 1980-1986

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
During WWII, On my late fathers Corvette, if you were a poofter when you enlisted and posted, you had to be a good swimmer, typically you would be lost at sea.
In regards to active service, and you guys who were involved with this I truly respect your sacrifice, ( I never have been in service in any form ), there are far more support staff than active staff, guys that actually get shot at or shoot, yet you go to the RSL (Returned Veterans organisations) it's usually the loud mouth head storeman claiming the victories and looking for the pat on the back, the true warrior is far more subdued due to their active service. My father refused to go to the RSL because of this.
I'm trying to understand this thread. Are you suggesting, that at one time, if you were a known gay in the military and on a ship, you might get deliberately thrown overboard because of it?? Is that my understanding?? Thanks, Carmine.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Being aboard ship 5 years my opinion is that it is an urban legend. We had several shipmates who were thought to be gay. They were not degraded, harrassed or anything else as far as i ever knew. General opinion was "I don't care".

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
"Nobody has a “right” to serve in the Military. Nobody.
What makes people think the Military is an equal opportunity employer? Very far from it.
The Military uses prejudice regularly and consistently to deny citizens from joining for being too old or too young, too fat or too skinny, too tall or too short.
Citizens are denied for having flat feet, or for missing or additional fingers. Poor eyesight will disqualify you, as well as bad teeth. Malnourished? Drug addiction? Bad back? Criminal history? Low IQ? Anxiety? Phobias? Hearing damage? Six arms? Hear voices in your head? Self-identify as a Unicorn?
Need a special access ramp for your wheelchair? Can’t run the required course in the required time? Can’t do the required number of pushups?
Not really a “morning person” and refuse to get out of bed before noon?
All can be reasons for denial.
The Military has one job. War. Anything else is a distraction and a liability.
Did someone just scream “That isn’t Fair”? War is VERY unfair, there are no exceptions made for being special or challenged or socially wonderful.
YOU change yourself to meet Military standards. Not the other way around.
I say again: You don’t change the Military… you must change yourself.
The Military doesn’t need to accommodate anyone with special issues. The Military needs to Win Wars.
If any of your personal issues are a liability that detract from readiness or lethality… Thank you for applying and good luck in future endeavors. Who’s next in line?"

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What?
Now you tell me. I blew both eardrums back in the 70's and they still let me fly. Sold my stereo though, didn't need it anymore.
I was near the end of my first enlistment when they told me I had flat feet….they thought it was pretty funny when I asked for a medical exemption from marching.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What?
Now you tell me. I blew both eardrums back in the 70's and they still let me fly. Sold my stereo though, didn't need it anymore.
I was near the end of my first enlistment when they told me I had flat feet….they thought it was pretty funny when I asked for a medical exemption from marching.

Cecil

All I know is that when I tried to enlist in 1965 they wouldn't let me in because of that. Sounded like bs to me.

I should have paid more attention to my Dad. I thought he told me when he was training to be a fighter pilot in WW2 he washed out somehow due to the same thing. I could be FOS on that, but I think that's what he said.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
They wouldn't take me, in 1965, because of Flat Feet, and bad vision.:doh

Junkman 104

Well Seasoned Member
8294dcc61a03f51ce6855ea56517bf3adc0fc148c57dfa79f1f64a8f908eec08.jpg