mickey thompson stroker crank ????

carlos.m

Well Known Member
Has any one ever seen one or has one , I ended up buying one like a couple of month ago and it is beutiful to look at, lol, it is a 409 Stroker crank, if I get a chance i'll take a pics of it and posted

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Most stroker cranks were made by welding journals. If done correctly, could be a good piece. But old materials don't compare to newer materials. Unless you're beating it it will be fine. I have a 4 inch welded up stroker with cheek plates for balancing. That goes way back.
Bob

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have an old stroker welded crank somewhere from Joe Reath in CA, anyone in Houston want it?
He was in Long Beach. Met him years ago at his store/shop around 1990-91. He had lots of stories to tell and seemed to like to tell them. I was in there looking for big block stuff. He had a ton of W stuff but I had no interest in that at the time. He had a lot of 409 and welded 409 cranks he wanted to sell. In fact he had a ton of stuff but most was too old school for me, like flat head stuff. I bet I could make a fortune on a lot of that stuff now. He had one story that I always remember. He grabbed some book and opened to a picture of like 4-5 guys standing in front of a race car, probably a bonneville car. He then asked me what was wrong in the picture. I couldn't see anything so he pointed out that one of the guys had his dick hanging out . No shit he did. I wish I could remember the name of the book.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Yep one of my S CA Pontiac buddies in S CA connected me to Joe when he was shutting down his shop. He had known him for years and was helping him get some money for retirement selling parts and knew I was a 409 guy too. Tom Schlauch big into the rare RAV motor stuff has a 63 SD Tempest clone street car bathtub intake dual quads and a stick. I was out there visiting my son and he tossed me in it to drive over to Donut Derelicks in Huntington beach car show while he drove a GTO. Kind of scary jumping in someones nice car you have never driven! And I had not drive a stick on hills in years!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep one of my S CA Pontiac buddies in S CA connected me to Joe when he was shutting down his shop. He had known him for years and was helping him get some money for retirement selling parts and knew I was a 409 guy too. Tom Schlauch big into the rare RAV motor stuff has a 63 SD Tempest clone street car bathtub intake dual quads and a stick. I was out there visiting my son and he tossed me in it to drive over to Donut Derelicks in Huntington beach car show while he drove a GTO. Kind of scary jumping in someones nice car you have never driven! And I had not drive a stick on hills in years!
Do you know if Joe Reath is still alive?

carlos.m

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the 409 by Mickey Thompson stroker crank were welded as well like the others stroker cranks , because I was told by a friend of mine that the 409 stroker crankshaft by Mickey Thompson is really rare and also he stated that if this is the one by M/T that I could possibly hit the Lottertry with this crankshafted and this friend of mine is well known here Mr Don Jacks , I want to thank him for helping me with my build also he has helped many others as well , Thank you my friend Mr jacks

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1st glance, it appears to be a cast crank & not a forging. Neat piece non the less! One would think these would predate 1965 since you could have bought a 396 crank and made a 3.76" stroker.
Jeff

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like they had their own cranks forged. Back then marerials were no where near what we have today. I have a couple of LS6 cranks that were modified. Those date back to 1970.
If M/T started with a new forging, they could probaly make them without welding. Which if properly done is fine.
Bob

carlos.m

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the price range of this crankshaft by M/T could possibly bring,or is there someone out there that is %100 sure of the cost of this crankshaft?:impatient

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It’s my experience and observation that vintage speed parts that are internal like cranks, rods, pistons etc. don’t bring big money like parts that are visible and can be shown off. Yes it’s cool, unique, etc but if you put it in a car nobody will see it or really care. I would say it’s worth about a what a good used stroker crank of any manufacturer is worth. Maybe a couple bucks more for the fanatic who just likes knowing they have it.