mini convention or just plain get together

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Indy has the Good Guys event this June, and a lot of the 409 guys from the East Coast come over to race. This would be a good place to get together for a plain old BS meeting, and also a chance to run your car down the Indy quarter mile. Last year there were 7 409 cars there. They put on a good show. There is a large Nostalgia Super Stock contingent there. A lot of Mopars, and even some of the Ford Thunderbolts. They run almost like a bracket race. You run on your posted time as I remember it.
The Wully Bully guys have been there, along with Allen George and his Blue Screamer. This would be a great time to see some good running 409s, and also a good time to take a pass down the Indy track. We can get some one to take pictures, and there is also track photographers to take pictures. Get a picture of your car on the Indy Quarter mile.
I suggested some one either have a motor home, or someone rent one to use to hang out. We could have food and drinks available, as well as shelter with A/C if needed. Could be a memorable time. I know it's a long haul from the west coast, but everyone would be welcome. If we can get a good idea how many would be there, we might be able to get enough room for sleeping, so no one would need motel rooms. Big savings on cost.
What do you think? A show of hands would be nice. No commitment needed at this time. Just a number of interested parties.

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fred, I`ve always wanted to go to Indy so this might be my chance !

I`ll give one hand up for "GO" and I`ll reserve the other hand for "maybe" !!!,,dq

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is a lot of interest in getting together so we have to make that happen. I am in complete agreement with fatride and others that just meeting up and playing is the highest priority. Phil's event was a knockout and we should not be trying to recreate or better that. It can be different every time and that’s just fine.

There is some interest also in Topeka and in Great Bend. These and Indy all have their good points. We are individually and as a group able to take care of ourselves. Keeping it simple is the key. Distributing the responsibilities so no one person is overburdened financially or time wise is essential. A lot of things can be done long distance as long as we know what we are getting into.

We need:
A place reasonably reachable for everyone. That does not mean, and can't be anyway, totally convenient for everyone.
A time - early, mid, late summer. May be driven by facility availablility.
Hotel accommodations that can provide room for meetings, trailers and parking.
A loose schedule and someone to keep track of and inform the rest of us as to the when's and where's during the event. A point of contact in other words so we don't miss out or get lost or whatever.
Some local knowledge of places to cruise and gather and hopefully some communication with law enforcement so they don't nick us too readily for looking like a gang or chirping a tire or two.
Phil Reed to put us in touch with those that are not on the forum and others of interest.
It would be nice to have Hayden and others there as special guests. That is an expense. I personally think this is an opportunity that could qualify as a need.

We would/might like to have:
A track that will take us seriously either as an individual event or integrated into another event. This may be a definite need for some.
An organized cruise/ad hoc outdoor show or to be part of a larger cruise or outdoor show.
Doug Marion to incriminate us in print.
A way to get the word out past just us.
If we have a track it might be fun to insult the local Ford and Mopar guys enough they’ll come out with their 406’s and 413’s and try to push us around on the track. A grudge race.
Some, not a lot, of memorabilia like T-Shirts and event stickers to offset costs. The ones for the first event will be available through Phil. A later post will tell you more. We can have a second event sticker, but if you weren’t interested enough to buy the first one and we have trunk load left over, this isn’t a consideration.
We should bring our 409 signs for more signatures and have Phil provide for a small cost or not the few (thousand) he has left over.

Problematic:
Indoor show. NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!! :mad:
Sponsors. If they come to us, fine. Otherwise this has so many pitfalls it can become Hell on earth.
Dinners, prizes, swap meet. If you want them, you organize them. Ugh. Expensive and complicated. Sometimes rewarding if they work out. Ask Phil just how weird this can become.

So these are some quick ideas. First on the to-do list is to agree on a place within about a month. The earlier the better for planning purposes for them and us. Just please remember, simple, simple, simple.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
convention

Michael, I just want to say the idea I have for Indy is NOT in any way a competitive event for a convention. I too, would like to see a convention somewhat like what we had, but from talking to Phil, there are some things that would have to be left out, or at least changed. Kansas would not be much farther for me than KC was. I think KC was 630 miles. Did that in one day. The East coast guys stayed overnight anyway, I think. Another 100-150 miles wouldn't be that much difference. If you are thinking Kansas, I think it would work. Heck, I just did California. Not sure I could do it again, though. Took 4 days each way, and HURT me. Took 3 weeks to get over it. The aches and pains from sitting so long , driving, took their toll. Don't know why, either. Did the same trip in 65 straight through, and it didn't hurt. Maybe the stopping over night was the problem!
If I can help in any way, to set up another convention, just let me know. Maybe split up the work, to take the whole load off one person. Phil had to have crashed after the last one.
The main thing is to keep it going. Anything you need, Michael, let me know.

Fred

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Aubrey and a convention

Aubrey, you WILL attend. Do we have to come up there and kidnap you? Bruneau Performance needs to be there. Got that?
If we were to have the convention in Alberta, it would have to be over the 3 warm days you have in the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll

Fred

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
A lot of 348/409 guys will be traveling to alot of different events. It seems like a good idea to pick one where everybody could meet up. It would be great to have big well organized event like the last one but it's just too much work for a normal human being to organize. Maybe we could do a smaller deal each year and have a major event every other year, or every four years like the Olympics. :dunno Who knows maybe the events will get bigger every year. Big or small, whatever, I'm going.

PS Winston says I've got to go cause he wants a new hat.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 89

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Good Guys Indy

Fred,
Just to let you know, we are already planning on skipping Indy this year, instead traveling to Bowling Green the following week. I know Allen is also going to KY, not sure if he is doing Indy. I would like to see a get together, but unfortunately, We can only make one big trip a year.
Steven

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bowling Green

Steven, how much difference is there in running Indy and the reunion? Have you ever been to the reunion? Just wondering if there is as much room there, or if you can get several runs in. Thinking maybe too crowded for what we are wanting to do.

Fred

M

Mr.Jimmy

Goodguys show

Hey guys, the Indy thing sounds really really cool. I think one could talk GoodGuys into helping about wording it out for all of us, making it bigger and bigger for one....though their magizine...and their advertising. A mini thing for us fellow 409'ers, and still save Phil's event too.... And Indy....damn...how far is it from the Interstate??? not far....Rooms and avl.......not bad. One could try to talk Bruce Litton into helping a little....since he's ANOTHER 409 guy who loves racing too. Get Wing's from Eau Clair...or however ones spells it to help out with getting the word out too. With some of these people helping out, I couldn't see why we couldn't get 100-250 409'er out there, for either the races, or just to show up... and GoodGuys would work out something like the 409'er area just like the Duece's Doings or the Homebuilt Heven areas. Hell, if one really would get this going, Maybe 500 would show up!!!! Damn, the show is melting here now with all this thinking!!!! :brow

M

Mr.Jimmy

More More!!!

Just think....ONE COULD even work out some of their magizine space too.....JUST for us 409'ers.....Do a 4 or more of there double sized pages with just about us...our world...and such!!! No more garbage truck motors!!!! The truth!!!!! And maybe even slam Brock Yates at the same time...lmao

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good Guys

From what I have heard about the Good Guys, from the nostalgia funny car guys, they don't help with much. Not saying they wouldn't, but the people I have talked to said they are hard to work with.
????????????????????????????

Fred

M

Mr.Jimmy

Hard???? whats the meaning of hard until one trys for themselves.... We won't know until we try!!!! I think we have something to go on here......We can even make Bob the Grand Puba of the 409'er part of the show!!! :hug Just think, we could all give him a group hug! LOL

P.S. There already doing this show, already doing advertising for it and such...It wouldn't be hard for them to add something to them, or them write about it every month about it and such....and benefits....Well for them, it could and WOULD create more money for them!!! Just talk to the higher up first, like Marc or Gary....and have them look at this as a business standpoint in there eyes! Then go to the VR directors.....

PPSS....And if it got out loud enough with something like this, Joe and Bill who are already comming with their 34 ford or 55 Chevy would leave them at home, and bring out the old 409 out! The last few years I have been at Des Moines, Indy, and Denver, guys from home here had there Hi-dollar cars out there, and left there 09's at home....just because they never thought of it... I didn't type this last line out right, but just dwell upon the thought. If you build it, they will come!

M

Mr.Jimmy

And just think of people Aubrey, a GREAT show for you to show your product to a HI-dollar crowd who loves to spend money!!! New technical stuff for the 09's and Impala crowd!!! So NOW, its more than just a thing to go to....Its an excuse for going there..being work related!!! :brow :brow

Wish I could do this, guys. Seems everybody on the east coast has SO MUCH more fun :dunno

I guess it's gonna be just me again, here in Alberta... all alone... :cry :cry

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Kentucky

Fred,
A friend of ours was at the Reunion last year, and he said you wouldn't believe how much better it is. He raced at Indy with us a few years back, and said that KY is much better. They got something like seven or eight time shots between Fri. and Sat., and everybody was good to deal with. That is why we are trying it, and not being real happy with last years Indy.
Steven

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Reunion- Steven

Steven, what class would our cars run? I was looking at the registration sheet. I'm not sure what class to put down if I were to go. How about some help!!!!!! I think Bowling Green is about 4-5 hours from here. Not that far. About the same as Norwalk. Think I'm going to go to Norwalk for the Blue Suede thing.
Do you have to belong to NHRA to run at the reunion? That might be the only hold up for me. I'm not a big NHRA fan. Belonged a long time ago. Back then it was sort of a badge of honor! Now I feel you are just piling money on top of a gold mine, and they care nothing about the people, just the money. Maybe it's just me. I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SS425HP said:
I'm not a big NHRA fan. Belonged a long time ago. Back then it was sort of a badge of honor! Now I feel you are just piling money on top of a gold mine, and they care nothing about the people, just the money. Maybe it's just me. I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

Fred, I hear this out here also about the NHRA. There was a ton of protesting and resistance to allow the throttle stop, over electronic gadget`ed .90 classes to compete at the regular races. (one example)
They should have there own scantioned races,,,,stupid racing !!!

NOW,,,, WHAT REUNION RACE ??? BLUE SUEDE THINGY ???? Bowling Green ?

Where are these? More info on them or maybe a website?

Us West Coasters need more info on these,,, you locals have the upper hand on us !! ,,, lost in the dark,,, dq

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
dq409 said:
Fred, I hear this out here also about the NHRA. There was a ton of protesting and resistance to allow the throttle stop, over electronic gadget`ed .90 classes to compete at the regular races. (one example)
They should have there own scantioned races,,,,stupid racing !!!

NOW,,,, WHAT REUNION RACE ??? BLUE SUEDE THINGY ???? Bowling Green ?

Where are these? More info on them or maybe a website?

Us West Coasters need more info on these,,, you locals have the upper hand on us !! ,,, lost in the dark,,, dq

Jim, Bowling Green is in western Kentucky, right on I-65 Check the NHRA web site for dates. Mid June, I think.
Blue Suede is at Norwalk, first weekend of June. Norwalk is in Ohio, southwest of Cleveland. Of course you know where Indy is. It is the middle weekend on these. All in June.

Fred