mini convention or just plain get together

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Man,,, A Google search bring up lots of Blue Suede Cruises !!!
Is this it I would suspect? NorWalk

Is there a Cruz or is it just racing?,,,

Is this Bowling Green? Not much info on this site but it does look like a cool smaller track !! Bowling Green (Beech Bend?)
,,dq

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Norwalk

Yes, that's it, Jim. The site doesn't tell much about it, though. I think it's racing and a show. Maybe a swap meet, too. Never been to it, so that's all I know. Chevymusclecars can probably tell us more. He lives near there, and has been to it. I'll let him tell what it is, as I don't have any more info.
I have looked at the Bowling Green Reunion, too. Never been to it, but have been to the CHRR in Bakersfield, CA.

Fred

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
#27 IP: 24.239.207.161 Yesterday, 09:56 PM
chevymusclecars
Supporting Member Join Date: Oct 2003

I have been to the Blue Suede Cruise and it is a casual get together of older cars. The strip is open to make runs and there really haven't been any long lines. They have the typical swap meet and car corral where some interesting cars are for sale. It is a large event that has plenty of open space for additional cars without trying to organize an event. As far as motels are concerned I think you would have no problem finding one in Sandusky which is about ten miles away. I am sure it was no ones intention to under state the efforts of Phil to organize an event of the size he was able to accomplish

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I was at Norwalk last year for the Blue Suede Cruise sponsored by Crusin' Times and thought it was great. I copied the information below from their web site.

Largest 3 day cruise in Ohio; sponsored by PPG and Cruisin' Times Magazine; free participants fri nite cook out; free fun runs down the 1/4 mile with ET slips; Sat includes: a nostalgia T/Fuel show, gassers and the Winged Express AA/Fuel Altered, plus live band Phil Dirt & the Dozers; neon parade of lights, flame throwing, and giant fireworks; show continues on Sun with more nostalgia drag racing; last year 2000 cars! Camping; 1 pound of ice cream for $1.00.... Giant womens world and more. Location:
Norwalk Raceway Park
Rte 18
Norwalk Ohio

Contact Information:
419-668-5555

They even had busses set up to take those interested, mainly the women, to other local attractions.

Hope that helps.

Bill

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Lots of good ideas. Let me ask though, would there be objections to Topeka in late September? And is anyone on the Forum familiar with the area?

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Ky

Fred,
We are going to register for Classic Super Stock, which is equivalent to NSS that we usually run. Our friend that went last year has a '58 with an injected BB, that ran in the quick 64, they had something like 117 cars start first round. Rumor has it that they are going to limit the car count this year, but I don't know. I would think any 409 powered 61-64 would qualify for SS, but I don't know who decides that.
Steven
P.S. We are probably going to be in Pittsburgh the weekend before Indy for their Reunion/Nostalgia event.
P.P.S. If anybody is interested in going, we have a few extra rooms blocked for Bowling Green, e-mail me for details.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Racing????

tmracing62 said:
Lots of good ideas. Let me ask though, would there be objections to Topeka in late September? And is anyone on the Forum familiar with the area?

Michael, I have no problem with Topeka. How far west of KC is Topeka. I guess I can look it up. I'd say mid to late September is probably the best time weather wise. Let's see what happens.

Fred

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Michael - I do know the Topeka area somewhat. You are correct Heartland Park Topeka is about 50 miles west of Kansas City (following I-70 west). The track is on the south side of the city just south of the National Guard Airforce base/museum. HPT is a great facility that until a couple of years back hosted a spring and fall NHRA National event. Just recently the track has new owners that have revamped the tower and removed the bump in the drag strip caused by the road race track. This past year the City of Topeka has passed 5 million in financing for the completion of the original plan of HPT and upgrades. This allowed HPT to host the SCCA championship in 2006. There is a lot going on at HPT and the new management is very aggressive and people/racer orientated. I do have some contacts in the Topeka Chamber that might be able to help set up an event and I will email the names and numbers to Michael this morning.

I raced at HPT twice last year and had excellent experiences. (The photo in my aviator was taken at HPT.) One of the races was at night and I can tell you there is nothing like pulling up the lights and looking down that track under the lights. There is plenty of room for parking inside the pits on concrete for those of us who are not into running their cars down the 1320’.

--

At this years event I would really like to meet more of my fellow forum members and get to know them better. WE share quite a bit on the forum and it would be so nice to meet more of the members face to face. The nametag that we would wear this year just has to be readable from 10’ or so. I am not talking a tag as big as a 409 sign but something that has nice big text. I walked past so many of you guys last year wondering “who is he” (except for dq) and if I could have read their name tag it would have been nice!!!! I would also like to see a collection of heads/intakes brought so that we can do the comparison of ports and designs. Hopefully this would help to answer some of the performance questions that we have been toiling over in some of the other posts. I am sure that there would be plenty of opinions but it would provide some measurement data that we could digest. Maybe we could get some volunteers to bring part so that not everyone has to haul their stuff. I have a pair of 817 heads and 63’ 340 hp intake that I am more than willing to bring. I would hope that the group would be open to allowing the members like me who have a SB car to bring their cars and show them off – I have started my 409 build but it will take me a couple of years.

That is my opinion of what I hope this reunion is like-everyone has their own expectations.

TomO

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good ideas Tom !! I don`t see any problems bringing a SB car !! And I don`t think there was last year either!!

I`ll bring my new CRV intake and show that off !! Of course it will be install and you`ll have to see it from the rear view *** *** !! :roll :roll ,,,dq

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
dq409 said:
Good ideas Tom !! I don`t see any problems bringing a SB car !! And I don`t think there was last year either!!

I`ll bring my new CRV intake and show that off !! Of course it will be install and you`ll have to see it from the rear view *** *** !! :roll :roll ,,,dq

DQ, didn't you mess that up a bit? Didn't you mean he would be looking out the windshield at your taillights? Well, maybe not!!!!!!

I'm sure there are enough motels in the area. Would be nice to pick one so we all could be housed in the same area. Preferably not a high classed place. Not to knock the last one. And it would have to have a good LIGHTED parking area.

Starting to sound like a good plan. I like the idea of large name tags for most of us. However, there are some we would recognize without a tag ;)

I'm willing to help in any way, but don't see how I can do much from this far away. If there is, just let me know.

Fred

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
This sounds like a great idea to bring us together to put that big period at the end of the September convention. Topeka is a great location. The problem is that, being from the west coast (I can hear the ocean from my deck), it a little too far of a round trip for me. :(

I would like to invite all, not as a substitute, to our neck of the woods. There is some great nostalgia races at several different tracks. Or maybe those of us in the west can meet and show what these 09s can do. :brow For example there Sonoma, CA, Woodburn, OR, Boise, ID, and Seattle, WA.

If anyones interested speak up.

Paul

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
West Coast

Garbageman, I wish I could. But, I just made a trip to the west coast in November. Cost me $900.00 in gas alone. I know, it is the same for you to come this way. The cost of the gas was a lot to bear, but the wear and tear on the body was awful. I still haven't gotten over it. The knees and right shoulder still give me trouble. I guess I didn't stop often enough, or something. Just sitting and driving 4 days each way must have been too much. Did it 40 years ago, and it didn't hurt at all. Don't understand it. Come to think of it, 40 years ago we drove straight through. 44 hours.
Anyway, I don't think there is any way I can get to the west coast driving again for a long time. Got to get over this last trip first!!!!!!

Fred

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
I know what you mean. Prices are terrible out here for fuel. I wish everyone could make it out here but I know that's asking a lot.

I'm hoping there is enough of us out here in the West to make a good showing at Western track.

There is always two of us at Woodburn for their Oldies But Goodies in June (1965 and older) and their Hot Rod Nationals in August (1970 and older). And now that dq is racing that makes three of us. (dq did make the June race last year) Woodburn is a great track and puts on a great show.

I wish you could make it Fred, but we understand.

Paul

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Blue suede cruise.

For us guys on the "Right coast" or there abouts, there is the "Blue Suede Cruise" at Norwalk Ohoho, Barring any last minute problems I'll be there. I think Fred Totten and Jim Kwiatkowski will be there also. I hope I can get my head through the door before then :dunno

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Blue Suede Cruise

French door? Barn door?

If the Lord is willing and the creek doesn't rise, I'll be there.

Fred

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Blue Suede Curise

Ray,I'll be there,I have to see you and Fred run it off :) I hope we will see more members there, :dunno