Mothers Day

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I hope you that still have their moms had the chance to give them a hug. Thursday my mom of 97 years old fell and had to go to the ER. I went the hospital an waited tell they would let me see her and were prepping her to go back home so I went and got her car because she can't get in my suburban. So when I get back to the hospital mom had had another episode so I waited longer and they finally said she was good to go. She is having congestive hart failure so I take her home and let her tell how to fix her a bowl of soup and we talk and I clean the mess in the kitchen from her fall earlier. Then she says I think I will go to the bathroom and makes her way with walker down to the hallway that leads to the rooms, then I her a faint call of my name, I turn and see her starting to fall so I run to help, now this is a big struggle for me as we are in the opening to the hall and her walker is on the other side of her and I didn't want her go to the floor because I can't pick her up but I couldn't get the walker turned around and had to get her on the floor, now my phone is on the counter in the kitchen but my brother had one of those panic systems installed and was just able to reach it to call for help. Now with some more struggle I get mom moved into wall casing and able to get her sat up and reach for a pillow to put behind her back. In a few minutes the fire department and ambulance show up. After they asses her they take her back to the hospital. I finish cleaning the kitchen and wait for a call from the hospital, at 4:30 AM thy call and say thy are admitting her and would not be able to get in and see her. Finally today they say she is being moved out of the ICU and going to a general recovery room but still can't come see her. This sounds like good news the doctor was making some med adjustments and watching her with a hart monitor. As I was calling her to wish her happy mothers day her phone went to voice mail after now answer, when I was going to leave a message her number call and it's the hospital and she had taken a turn for worst and they had to install a temporary pacemaker. We asked if we could see her and they did let two go in. I almost wish I didn't, this was not the picture I want in my mind, they have more tubes and wire hooked up to her than I use on my Allen scope. I'm not sure she could tell the my wife and I were even there. :weep

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very sorry to hear of it James. I too thought I could pick up my wife when she became paralyzed 15 years ago. However me getting older, her gaining weight because of the injury taught me a lesson. A hoyer lift can be purchased cheap off of craigslist etc. It will pick up when we cannot. I have one. Her medical insurance should pay for one. I have been there for about 15 years. So if you have some questions I may have some answers. PM me and maybe I can suggest some things. It is a tuff time when we have to take care of someone in this situation. Hang in there and don't let them send her to a nursing home, you will lose her at that age and it has little to do with the covid going around, but that could contribute.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Sorry to hear about this James. It's a fact of life unfortunately of late life. My mother will be 100 Sept. 28. She has been in a nursing home for 3 years but right now she is going strong. And still telling me what to do!!!!!
Prayers for your family James.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
So sorry to hear about your mothers health problems James.... and what you had to go through to keep her safe .......Sounds like you reacted as good as you possibly could ......nicely done....... I agree with junk, that I believe it’s positive that the doctors thought she was strong enough...........prayers for your mother‘s health, and for your family, that they can remain strong ........God bless

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
James sorry to hear about your mother. This sounds cruel but I think you have to ask your mother if she want's one . My mother at around 90 said she did not want one,she just wanted to go without. Unfortunately when that situation come up my brother told the doctors to do it without consulting me or my sister. My mother got out of surgery she was mad at my brother after she found out. So then she went to a nursing home and never a day went by without reminding us that this was not her wish. She had no life in the four years in that nursing home. I felt so sorry for her. She passed at 95 . I know it's a tough decision and know what you are going through.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Mom did give her consent, we know this won't make her live longer but could help with blood pressure fluctuations. I watched her blood pressure go from 199 on the high number to as low as 80.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry to hear about your mom’s heath issues James, sounds like she has been a strong person.

My mom died in January at 89, I saw her about 5 days before she went in hospital and she was still able to tell us all what to do. She was about 4 hours away, so not easy to drop by. Having no dementia of any kind at that age is a major plus for her and us. I hope you mom continues to do well and have her health improve.

Don

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'm just getting caught up, sorry to hear of your Mom's situation. Is she at University Hospital or Boone? Both are good sources of talent, they know how to deal with situations like this. Of course every instance is unique.

Having that pacemaker means they expect to be able to regulate things, let's hope that's the case.

We all wish you and your Mom the best. These can be trying times.

TomK