Motor Mount Issue

Jerry B

Well Known Member
I have a 62 409. I seem to have a lot of vibration in the Hurst shifter. Started reading forums about motor mount problems. A clicking noise under the hood seemed to be another indicator. I had this. Am running a flat tappet hydraulic cam so I ran the lifters twice. Still had the clicking. I now have the motor mounts unbolted from the frame mounts and the engine lifted clear of the frame mounts. I haven't had much experience changing motor mounts but the ones I have came off in two pieces. I have not unbolted mine from the engine yet but they seem to be solid. Should I be able to tell at this point if they are bad? Checked the transmission mount and it seems to be solid also. The mounts have 40,000 miles and 20 years on them. Have already bought some Anchor mounts from NAPA. But I have read a lot on multiple forums about the poor quality of new mounts I am not sure if I should change these.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a 62 409. I seem to have a lot of vibration in the Hurst shifter. Started reading forums about motor mount problems. A clicking noise under the hood seemed to be another indicator. I had this. Am running a flat tappet hydraulic cam so I ran the lifters twice. Still had the clicking. I now have the motor mounts unbolted from the frame mounts and the engine lifted clear of the frame mounts. I haven't had much experience changing motor mounts but the ones I have came off in two pieces. I have not unbolted mine from the engine yet but they seem to be solid. Should I be able to tell at this point if they are bad? Checked the transmission mount and it seems to be solid also. The mounts have 40,000 miles and 20 years on them. Have already bought some Anchor mounts from NAPA. But I have read a lot on multiple forums about the poor quality of new mounts I am not sure if I should change these.
The mounts are in two pieces? Did the rubber separate from the steel? Or are you talking about the frame mount and the engine mount?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Many of the motor mounts are too wide to fit the frame towers. It took me a while to find a pair that fit. I didn't find any made in the usa.

Gofish

Well Known Member
The mounts that bolt between the engine and frame are one piece. Maybe send us a picture.

John

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The Anchors Paul mentioned are correct and good if they are the USA ones. Some are in the pipeline (same brand and number) from India or somewhere and they are junk.

heddrik

Well Known Member
How can you tell the difference? I bought a pair from NAPA on Paul's recommendation. Thanks for any information.

Jerry B

Well Known Member
I'm saying that the few I have changed on small blocks in the past had the rubber separated from the steel. Also I found the receipt from when I first put these on and they were Anchor. The box for the ones I recently purchased from NAPA says made in China. Most complaints on the other forms I looked said stay away from any mounts make in India. I did see some complaints about Anchor.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'll have to look at the Anchor ones I have. I stocked up a few years back and they were US made at that time. That may not be the case any longer. I got them through Rock I think.

Jerry B

Well Known Member
Need to correct something I posted here. The motor mounts I got from NAPA were NAPA brand Balkamp. This is the only brand NAPA shows on line for my car. Been about a month since I bought then and I got confused. Advance Auto shows online they have Anchor for my car. Called the store and they did not stock them but got the sales person to look on a box for place of manufacture. He said it is China. Both mounts are probably the same thing just in different boxes. Think I will get some Anchors and compare them to the Balkamp before I return the Balkamp and go ahead and install the Anchors. Anyone ever replace a set of motor mounts that looked good and have that solve a vibration problem?

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is your drive shaft carrier bearing good, vibration can come from there also.