Muriatic acid rust eliminator

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's not us ........… :D However I am not saying you are wrong either :crazy Well, the Katlyn thingy, yea, maybe that. :wacko

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here are a couple pictures of a few old bumper sections that I had soaking in the phosphoric acid/ Prep and Etch bath. 1 gallon of acid to 2 galllons of water. Probably soaked longer than need for a week.IMG_20200105_143706.jpgIMG_20200105_143734.jpgIMG_20200105_143728.jpg
This stuff doesn't seem to bother the chrome at all. I'm goung to have to blast the rest of pieces that didn't get soaked in the acid. Working on another project.:D

wristpin

Well Known Member
I let this soak over night. It still needs wire wheel and sandblasting but it was a weak solution and a reference test. Next parts will get stronger solution. Cant tell very good but that rust is 75% removed on the battery side of this tray.0105200741.jpg0105200741a.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The absolute best rust removal process is molasses and water!!! Sounds like a joke but it works beautiful.
Clint,
My friend in Western Australia has a molasses tank and a heating element in it for winter.
In the summer you dont need the heater to make it work better
He is an apprentice trainer and had some first year apprentices at his shop for a tour
(in australia there are a lot of flies, i know you all thought that Aussies were very friendly ,waving at everyone, but they are trying to keep the flies out of their faces (sorry to let the cat out of the bag Grub):D
Anyway the flies like to blow the molasses and maggots thrive on the top of it so Ian shows the apprentices his tank of specially imported "Rust Eating Maggots"
He put a but of rusty steel in there on a wire and then pulled it out a week later on their next trip and wiped the maggots off
They were amazed at how clean the maggots could get a piece of steel
Some of their parents were not happy about their kids being exposed to maggots etc so he doesnt do that any more

Steve

wristpin

Well Known Member
Clint,
My friend in Western Australia has a molasses tank and a heating element in it for winter.
In the summer you dont need the heater to make it work better
He is an apprentice trainer and had some first year apprentices at his shop for a tour
(in australia there are a lot of flies, i know you all thought that Aussies were very friendly ,waving at everyone, but they are trying to keep the flies out of their faces (sorry to let the cat out of the bag Grub):D
Anyway the flies like to blow the molasses and maggots thrive on the top of it so Ian shows the apprentices his tank of specially imported "Rust Eating Maggots"
He put a but of rusty steel in there on a wire and then pulled it out a week later on their next trip and wiped the maggots off
They were amazed at how clean the maggots could get a piece of steel
Some of their parents were not happy about their kids being exposed to maggots etc so he doesnt do that any more

Steve
Aussies are Weird
:crazy