My new welder...

Junky

Well Known Member
That's it! I'm going to deport my new welder now. :D

Knowing how UPS handles heavy packages, they might just drop it, and then you will have to have another sent. Whenever I get heavy packages from UPS, I try to open them immediately, and if the box is the least bit damaged, I make sure to have it noted on the deliver slip. If the box is damages severely, I will photograph it before opening.

bobs409

Administrator
Wouldn't you just know it, I got my new toy and now I'm having back problems!?! The other day I got a few hours working on the 63 that is on the 4 post lift. I'm guess I'm not used to working reaching above myself and in doing so, I pulled something in my lower right side back. :cussI've been hobbling around since. Move a certain way and it hits a nerve or something. :scared

On the bright side, the welder did arrive yesterday with no damage and it took all I had to get it from the sidewalk into the garage! It's still on the floor waiting for me to remove the plastic bag and foam it's in.

So I guess my "review" of the Everlast tig200dv will have to wait a little longer. I didn't even get the tank of argon. Amazon is playing games shipping out the tungsten too! (that's a whole other rant!!)

Ugh, :thud

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hope you're feeling better soon Bob. We need a good review on that welder.

By the way, I get my tungsten and other supplies, from weldingcity or usaweld on Ebay. I get the orders in a few days, usually.:D

bobs409

Administrator
This welder is costing me a LOT of money! :angry

I just discovered that it needs a 50 amp circuit! I have 220 in my garage but it's only a 30 amp. :bang

Today I bought a mini bench grinder (cute little thing actually!) just for grinding tungsten. You don't just buy a tig welder, you run electrical for it, buy grinders and large argon tanks too! If I keep this shit up, I'll have to get a job or something! :mad5

bobs409

Administrator
Here's some pics. The welder did come with a scratch and a small ding but I'm not worried since,,, it's a welder. :D And the cute little bench grinder I got is really neat! $30 bucks using a 20% off coupon at H.F. Uses 3 inch wheels and it has a flex shaft that attaches to it. It is also variable speed up to 10k rpms.

This is better than changing wheels on my regular grinder to do those tungstens. Not sure what the "carbon fiber" wheel on the left side is used for. Never had one of those. ?

DSCN2990.jpgDSCN2991.jpgDSCN2993.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hope you are feeling better Bob. Now, you really need to lose this obsession with Harbor Freight. While some things can be purchased cheaply and work pretty good. Cheap quality tools will ultimately come back to bite you in the back side. There is no substitute for quality tools, even if the cost more. And by the amount of things I see you purchase, you can afford to get good stuff.

bobs409

Administrator
I got the tank today but a bummer, the biggest they sell is the Q size which is 80# like my mig gas. I'm a bit shocked by that but since they don't fill them there (the tank gets exchanged) so buying a larger tank online would not have worked anyway. For now this will have to do. With the 10% off, this cost me $148.50 plus tax.

Tell me about your tank Jim and if you rent or own and what it costs you. ??

I also picked up the electrical parts; 50 amp breaker, 2 outlets, boxes and cover plates. Over $42 for that stuff! The 6-2 wire I'm getting online which saved me over $30 instead of buying from Lowes. Home depot would have to order it, about same price.

Who knew joining metal together would be so expensive? Maybe I should have stayed with pop rivets. :D

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I own all my tanks Bob. I'll check on the sizes and prices tonight. I have two larger tanks for the tig and mig and two tiny tanks. One for a back up with argon and one co2 / argon mix for my little portable mig.

bobs409

Administrator
Looks like I'm going to be building another cart! :D While this will mostly be used in my garage, I am installing 2 outlets so I want to be able to work in either the front corner or the opposite rear corner. (and could be used right outside the door if I wanted to) I've decided to mig weld it or I might not get it done until this time next year! All I gotta say is I better be a really good Tig welder for what all I'm going thru. :p

Just got back from another trip to H.F. for some rear tires for the new cart. I gotta stay home for the rest of the day! My Visa card is smoking. :eek2

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like I'm going to be building another cart! :D While this will mostly be used in my garage, I am installing 2 outlets so I want to be able to work in either the front corner or the opposite rear corner. (and could be used right outside the door if I wanted to) I've decided to mig weld it or I might not get it done until this time next year! All I gotta say is I better be a really good Tig welder for what all I'm going thru. :p

Just got back from another trip to H.F. for some rear tires for the new cart. I gotta stay home for the rest of the day! My Visa card is smoking. :eek2

The two outlets are a great idea. I only installed one and it definitely limits me.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I checked my tanks, my argon tank is 110 cubic feet and my mig is 80 cubic feet. Looks like the 80 tank was $167.00 with tax. Can't find the slip for the 110, but I'm pretty sure it was under $200.00. The argon tank exchange is up to $45.00. The 1/16 4043 aluminum filler rod is $5.75 / pound.