My new welder...

bobs409

Administrator
I wanted to get at least the 125 but if I had bought one elsewhere like online, not sure where the heck I could get it filled around here.

I had my 80# C25 mig gas filled recently and it cost $45.94 with the state tax and a $5.00 haz mat charge! (what a crock!) It sounds like the pure Argon is priced about the same but we'll see.

I'm going to keep my settings as low as I can. I watched a video on shielding gas settings and there was no improvement if you applied extra vs the minimum amount. They gave a basic setting using the cup size. Cup size x 2 = CFH So a #5 cup only needs 10cfh, etc.

Lots to learn... :D

bobs409

Administrator
I checked my tanks, my argon tank is 110 cubic feet and my mig is 80 cubic feet. Looks like the 80 tank was $167.00 with tax. Can't find the slip for the 110, but I'm pretty sure it was under $200.00. The argon tank exchange is up to $45.00. The 1/16 4043 aluminum filler rod is $5.75 / pound.

Sounds about right but who fills your 110 tank?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like I'm going to be building another cart! :D While this will mostly be used in my garage, I am installing 2 outlets so I want to be able to work in either the front corner or the opposite rear corner. (and could be used right outside the door if I wanted to) I've decided to mig weld it or I might not get it done until this time next year! All I gotta say is I better be a really good Tig welder for what all I'm going thru. :p

Just got back from another trip to H.F. for some rear tires for the new cart. I gotta stay home for the rest of the day! My Visa card is smoking. :eek2
Hard to get a Visa card to smoke at H.F. prices. :D

bobs409

Administrator
Tungsten came yesterday, romex wiring comes today so I'm almost ready! (this does run on 110 but I'll wait for the 220) Today I'm playing electrician. (I'm not an electrician, I just play one in my garage) :D

I don't see what all the fuss is about grinding tungsten! It's EASY!!! I did one in a matter of 20-30 seconds. I have a 30 degree angle block I set it on and just rolled the tungsten in my fingers and against the grinding wheel. I think I'll make a gizmo with a 30 degree hole to make it even more simple.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tungsten came yesterday, romex wiring comes today so I'm almost ready! (this does run on 110 but I'll wait for the 220) Today I'm playing electrician. (I'm not an electrician, I just play one in my garage) :D

I don't see what all the fuss is about grinding tungsten! It's EASY!!! I did one in a matter of 20-30 seconds. I have a 30 degree angle block I set it on and just rolled the tungsten in my fingers and against the grinding wheel. I think I'll make a gizmo with a 30 degree hole to make it even more simple.
Bob I use number 6 wire and a 50 amp breaker and run two outlets. Then I made me a 50 foot extension cord out of number 6 wire. Now I can take my welder all the way out in the middle of the driveway. One Outlet in the back of the shop one Outlet in the front of the shop. And if you get a 50 amp plasma cutter you'll be able to run it off those two circuits also.
I also backfeed my generator through my 50 amp circuit and shut the breaker off to the meter on the pole. That way I won't electrocute the line workers when the power goes out I have power and it back fed to my house through that 50 amp circuit in my shop and goes to the house. There's a terminal right below my electric meter and the breaker is right above it so I can feed my house with my generator by flipping the breaker off. I don't get the line worker when he's repairing the line down a ways.:yikes:shock2

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

Sharpening tungsten is no big deal. It's when you contaminate it with filler wire, you have to cut off all of the contaminated piece and re-sharpen. I started snapping off the contaminated ends and that was ok, but the tungsten would crack on me(I read that it was from both overheating and the shock of breaking the tungsten) and ruin the tungsten. So I have been grinding off all contaminants and resharpening. I ordered an adapter for a Dremel that has a cut off slot with a diamond wheel sharpener. hopefully this will be more convenient than running back and forth to the grinder. We'll see.
Bob, hopefully you will be so good at tig welding that you never have to worry about contaminating the tungsten.:D

bobs409

Administrator
Bob I use number 6 wire and a 50 amp breaker and run two outlets. Then I made me a 50 foot extension cord out of number 6 wire. Now I can take my welder all the way out in the middle of the driveway. One Outlet in the back of the shop one Outlet in the front of the shop. And if you get a 50 amp plasma cutter you'll be able to run it off those two circuits also.
I also backfeed my generator through my 50 amp circuit and shut the breaker off to the meter on the pole. That way I won't electrocute the line workers when the power goes out I have power and it back fed to my house through that 50 amp circuit in my shop and goes to the house. There's a terminal right below my electric meter and the breaker is right above it so I can feed my house with my generator by flipping the breaker off. I don't get the line worker when he's repairing the line down a ways.:yikes:shock2

We're on the same page then. :D While I could have gotten away with #8, I went with the #6 and I too am putting 2 outlets in, one rear corner and one front diagonal corner. I've been looking at the extension cords but they are pricey. Might hold off until I'm sure I really need one.

I have one outlet almost run already. Lots of spiders in my way. :p

bobs409

Administrator
Sharpening tungsten is no big deal. It's when you contaminate it with filler wire, you have to cut off all of the contaminated piece and re-sharpen. I started snapping off the contaminated ends and that was ok, but the tungsten would crack on me(I read that it was from both overheating and the shock of breaking the tungsten) and ruin the tungsten. So I have been grinding off all contaminants and resharpening. I ordered an adapter for a Dremel that has a cut off slot with a diamond wheel sharpener. hopefully this will be more convenient than running back and forth to the grinder. We'll see.
Bob, hopefully you will be so good at tig welding that you never have to worry about contaminating the tungsten.:D

I was researching cutting tungsten last night and found it's not a good idea to snap them with a pliers like some suggest. They can shatter. One guy mentioned he uses a diamond cutting wheel from Harbor freight so guess what? I was there this morning and picked up a set of 5 with arbor for $6.99. :D Will be trying those soon. These are dremel sized cutters. Did I ever say how much I love Harbor Freight? :love :teehee

bobs409

Administrator
Here they are: https://www.harborfreight.com/diamond-rotary-cutting-discs-5-pc-69657.html

image_20675.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have to resharpen my tungsten too often. I have to weld with my glasses off as my bifocals are too hard to see through under my helmet and I need a new prescription, so.......lots of trips to the bench grinder because the bunch of tungsten I had sharpened are all contaminated. It's funny, on good days, I never have to replace a tungsten, but bad days:confused

bobs409

Administrator
I'm sore! I got all the wiring done and took all day! 6awg wire is tough stuff to run! All that's left is to wire up 1 outlet and attach the wires to the breaker and snap it in place. I ended up with about 9 inches of extra wire so that worked out good anyway.

Time for some welding video's. :D

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I have to resharpen my tungsten too often. I have to weld with my glasses off as my bifocals are too hard to see through under my helmet and I need a new prescription, so.......lots of trips to the bench grinder because the bunch of tungsten I had sharpened are all contaminated. It's funny, on good days, I never have to replace a tungsten, but bad days:confused

Get the magnifying lens that slides in the inside of the welding helmet...:good

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Get the magnifying lens that slides in the inside of the welding helmet...:good

Get anything to protect your eyes. Just do it.