Need advise on trucks

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
This might sound odd, but I just realized I need to have a truck. Not any ordinary truck but a Chevy truck, preferably late 50s or early 60s, and it has to have a dump bed on it. I was thinking "grain bed truck". I need this to haul small loads of black dirt for about 2-3 years (I have a lot left over from a current excavation project, and I plan to sell it in my spare time to pay for the truck and a bobcat). After that, I'd like to convert it into a car hauler. It will stay in town for those first three years, after that it should be highway capable. I will take any drive train to start, but will probably convert it over to a "W" engine for it's life as a car hauler.

What I need is a reliable local hauler, then something that drives over the road properly. I don't know trucks at all. Never had a Chevy truck. Which ones drive well over the road?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

regards,
TomK

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Plenty of old grain trucks around that's for sure.
And would be great for hauling dirt and junk.

But as far as being converted to a car hauler, No way.
My opinion, take it or leave it...........
If you plan on doing long over the road trips,......
Then I wouldn't even consider one of the old trucks.
Yes, They look great, and are some of my favorite body style trucks ever made.
I will choose the comfort and reliability of a newer truck any day.
A dedicated car hauler is sure a neat idea, but a Suburban and a car trailer, or a Crew cab diesel pick-up and trailer sound like a more practical way of hauling cars.
4 to 5 adults can be comfortable in a newer crew cab or suburban.
(2 adults in the old truck cabs, somewhat comfortably)
newer crew cab or suburban can be used for other purposes other than hauling cars, If you're going to spend the money to insure it you may as well be using it on a regular basis. You can get a newer vehicle serviced and find parts much easier,
This is important if you plan on road trips with your vehicle, try finding parts for the old trucks while in a hurry broken down on the side of a road in the middle of no-where.
used to be no big deal but most places don't even carry simple parts for these oldies anymore.

Unless you have some really deep pockets, I wouldn't do it.
You will spend way too much to make it the way you want it.
and probably never get the money back out of it.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but it's not for me.
You can certainly make it work, if that's what you really want.
:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

GREAT Idea, Tom !

I MUST disagree, Droptop ;) ... My 59 GMC has been an INCREDIBLE tow-rig for the past 14 years / 80,000 miles. I've been all over the continent with it. Yes, you have to be a true "driver" to be able to accept and even enjoy it's lack of auto trans, A/C, power windows... heck... power steering !... But I would NEVER have any other tow rig. And about tow rigs. Yes, without a doubt, a big 'ol gas guzzl'n suburban is CERTAINLY a lot more practical for the family...BUT, there aint NO tongue hitch trailer that tows, handles, corners, or is as safe as a properly designed 5th wheel :deal .

Here's my truck, late October, 2001, downtown Manhattan at midnight

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Oh I knew that you would be the first to disagree :)
But I didn't see you say anything bad about a Crew Cab Diesel.
You can get a fifth wheel plate in those............ ;)

All I am saying is it's not for me,
for a long trip, hauling a car,......
I do want all the comforts and Air Conditioning, and power leather seats
with heat and lumbar support and CD player ,XM radio etc......... :)
I like all the creature comforts, and room for my friends and family.
I have driven Old chevrolet grain trucks at my uncles farm, the novelty wore off quickly. Sure they are some neat old trucks And it was fun,......but like I said,
on a long road trip I wouldn't do it.

Crew cab deisel ?
Besides being generic belly-button... the excessively long wheelbase can make it very awkward to manuever in some situations. I DO like the deisel though :p .
The other thing is the "pickup box" 5th wheel. That goofy "gooseneck" towering over top of the cab, doing nothing but wasting space, resting on the truck about 5 feet off the ground :roll ... NOT exactly conducive to the pursuit of good handling and safety :takethat .

BTW, my brother with the 55, just bought a brand new "old beat up Dodge" deisel crew cab for pulling his enclosed tongue hitch trailer.
I wouldn't trade him if he gave me cash to boot :rolleyes:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom, It doesn`t matter what truck you find and use for the dirt transfer now.
You can always convert it over to a more comfortable tow rig after your project is done.
Like adding a newer steering crossmember and power steering unit from a new style truck.
Also Vintage Air has bolt in factory air units availible for most older trucks.

I`m about to add an airbag set-up to the rear of my new Blazer for the trip to KC.
This way I can pump the rear up to hold the load of the car/trailer weight for a stable ride and later this winter I`ll add the airconditioning.

I see a lot of early 60`s dually trucks around here that would work perfect for what you need and want.
I`m sure you should be able to find one local to you that even has the dump box on it.
Pick up a Truck Trader , they are a good source for these styles of trucks.

Or,,,, my favorite tow type truck,,,,, A White truck !! ,,,,dq

Attachments

• Resize of White Truck.jpg
    Resize of White Truck.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Resize of White Tr.Back.jpg
    Resize of White Tr.Back.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 75

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
droptop62 said:
If you're going to spend the money to insure it you may as well be using it on a regular basis. You can get a newer vehicle serviced and find parts much easier, This is important if you plan on road trips with your vehicle, try finding parts for the old trucks while in a hurry broken down on the side of a road in the middle of no-where.

How is this any different with the truck than a '62 Bel-Air or a '66 Chevelle? Finding parts for one of those would be as easy/difficult as it would for the old truck.

The neat thing about using the old truck as a tow vehicle is that it could even be used as a "show vehicle" all by itself. Try doing that with a new truck at the old shows. Also, nothing says the old truck has to be anymore uncomfortable or unreliable as a new truck. It could be as modern or simple (aka; less things to go wrong) as one wants it to be.

Are you one of those folks who trailers your older cars whenever one of them goes out of town? Do you drive your '62 and '66 all the time since you pay to have them insured?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good advise

You guys certainly have some sound advise for those of us who are trying out new (to us) ideas!

I must admit I am partial to older stuff, and don't mind the hassle of an "uncomfortable" ride. I really think CPG's vehicle is special :)

I don't do car shows per se, but I do a few local things especially if they are in support of some charity (like Children's Miracle Network and such). And if I did take one of my cars to a show, I would drive it there. My cars, while looking great, are drivers. If I had a '63 Z-11, I'd drive it.

What I need a car hauler for is to basically move cars under restoration about to the various (local) places of business for specialty work (glass, interior, and so forth). Plus I go out on weekends with buddies and search for new junk all the time. We use trucks with trailers, but a hauler would be ideal. I owe them a million tows just to get even for borrowing their time, talent and trucks to get my stuff around :) So it would be "community property" so to speak. But my buddies like F$%ds. If I wanted a F#$d to haul things I could go out to Mike's place and pick from among 10 vehicles. But I want a Chevy, preferable one from the period that might have had a "W" in it :)

DQ had a good suggestion, start with a grain hauler (cheap and plentiful around Missouri, also somewhat solid), use it to move the dirt and stuff, then convert it over to a hauler at some point in time. I'm starting to look at local auctions for farm equipment. I have plenty of "ears" out my way that let me know of good opportunities as they come up.

Keep the ideas and suggestions flowing, I am always open (if not a bit impulsive!)

Cheers!
TomK

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP :roll :roll :roll

You guys can take the PRO side of old truck all you want,
I will continue defending the CON side of the issue. :clap

Threeimpalas, let me know how many cars show up in Kansas on a trailer.
and then do a count for me on how many are being pulled by late 50's early 60's chev grain trucks converted into car haulers.

Maybe you guys should buy up all the old grain trucks and convert them into car haulers as a business, when you can't keep them on your show floor because the demand is so great, and they are profitable, then I will reconsider.

Until then, I will on occaison admire an old truck converted into a car hauler, if it is done nice enough. But I will still NEVER want one

I am droptop62, and I approve this message
:roll :roll :roll :roll :roll

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,,,, I will be towing my car to KC. (hopefully) On a trailer behind my new/old Blazer.
Only because of the distance. Would be too hard on the 62 and engine going that far.

If I had my way, are you listening Tom?,,,, i`d be putting the 62 on the back of the old COE flatbed my friend Brian is building !
BUT,,, it won`t be done in time.

These COE`s are all over the farming country and can be coverted to a car hauler with some work.
Brian is mounting a 500ci Cad motor midship for power on a one ton dually frame.

This is a photo of the cab. The engine compartment is now the trunk !!I also have a photo somewhere of a finished one. Post later ,,,dq

64448451.jpg

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom - There is a 1963 Chev grain truck for sale on hwy 50 halfway between Warrensburg and Lee's Summit. You can't miss it as it is sitting along the hwy at a tire shop. It is a SBC and the cab is alittle rusty but NO dents. I checked it out in hopes of a wblock - but turned out to be a 327. Might be something to check into. I think it was around 2K.

TomO

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I like you guys from the WRONG coast !!!

" It is a SBC and the cab is alittle rusty but NO dents." !!

Like rust is OK,,, all cars have it,,, BUT ,DENTS ! heeee heee

Heres a picture of a local F**d CO. Really nice top notch truck !

Gives you an idea of what the GMC COE I posted will look like,,, dq

64485222.jpg

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Old Trucks

Old trucks are nice when there done right but you can spend more money on a old truck restoring it than buying a new one. :doh

I'm with droptop on this one I'd rather have a nice new truck fully loaded that I can find parts for :D

I have to trailer the Camaro because its set up for drag racing only, but if I was going to the convention I'd drive my 57 :)

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
I would like to join this discussion. I have 3 "big" trucks. A 59 Chevy (Seagraves)
100 Spartan Fire truck with a 348 and 18,000 miles, 57 low cab forward 5700
V8 straight job (flat bed) and a 72 C60 tractor with a fifth wheel, air brakes
and a powerhouse 427. My family has been in the trucking business since
the 1940's so I believe I can lend some creditable comments to this thread. As
far as old vs new there is definitely a comfort factor involved. There is more so
a maintenance and parts availability for the older big trucks to consider. You can
not pick up a catalog and find parts for these trucks like you can a 55-59
chevy pick-up truck. If you want ease of maintenance then convert the older
cab to a later chassis, that is common. If you choose the right truck such as
a smaller axle drum brake unit and add sound deader, comfortable seats,
a/c and power steering then you have as good a truck as you need for both
reliability and comfort. Its when you get into the bigger axle trucks with heavy
duty parts that you may run into parts availability issues. If you are lucky enough
to find an old chevy truck that is not completely worn out then you will have a
very reliable and capable unit to meet the needs fo the weekend warrior without breaking the bank.