Need help with a-arm splash shields and rear bumper seals

bobs409

Administrator
Been so long since I saw these, can't remember how they go. I found one reference to the a-arm shields in the assembly manual section 11-13 sheet 4.00 but as usual, it's not much help. :D

Did the shields go under or on top of the inner fender? Which way do the staples go?

Also need the same info for the rear body shields or seals or whatever they are called that staple on at both ends of tail panel. (under outer tail light & sits under bumper) Can't find anything in the manual for those.

Thanks. :)

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, The splash shields are on the engine side(top) of the inner fender. The staples go through the splash shield then through the inner fender. The bent ends of the staples are on the wheel side.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Been so long since I saw these, can't remember how they go. I found one reference to the a-arm shields in the assembly manual section 11-13 sheet 4.00 but as usual, it's not much help. :D

Did the shields go under or on top of the inner fender? Which way do the staples go?

Also need the same info for the rear body shields or seals or whatever they are called that staple on at both ends of tail panel. (under outer tail light & sits under bumper) Can't find anything in the manual for those.

Thanks. :)

Most, not all, things I ever read or saw, had the shields go underneath. Staples would go on top through the metal. Here is what I did on my '62. I think new staples came with the shields and they were too big for the existing holes. I thought it best to attach the shields underneath and then drill the size hole needed through the existing hole and through the shield. It would make fastening the staples much easier. I used the black 3M glue and attached the shields. Waited until the following day and checked the strength of the glue. These things were strong-solid, not going anywhere. So, I cheated and decided not to use the staples. I think they look real good and just like they belong there. Several have looked in the engine compartment and never commented about the missing staples. Maybe they were just nice, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, The splash shields are on the engine side(top) of the inner fender. The staples go through the splash shield then through the inner fender. The bent ends of the staples are on the wheel side.

Jim, you could be right on that. I recall taking my old ones off which were fastened the way I describe above with the staples. Maybe they weren't on properly to begin with. They did appear to be original; old and cracked. Isn't there a member here who bought a '62 in '62 and still has it?? Maybe he could check?? Whatever he says, I would go with , Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Guys, as usual I find the answer after I ask the question. :D I checked my pics saved from that 11 mile car and looky here:

2005-03-05-04.25.44-1024x682.jpg

Now if I could just get pics of that car with the rear bumper off. :D Still need help with those.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's exactly how mine looked on my '62. It seems that if the objective was to trap dirt and dust from entering the engine compartment, then the flaps would be better served by attaching as the pic shows, Carmine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here's a shot of an original too. Must be they were installed either side? Makes more sense to have them on the outside in the recessed lip, but all the ones I can remember seeing are on the inside. Maybe a plant specific or day of the week assembly plant thing?0803150649-00.jpg

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All the cars I have parted out all had the shelds attached from the top side of the wheel well. For the staples I went to the welding supply and purchased some stainless steel welding rod in the same diameter as the original staples then used a set of square nose pliers to bend the SS wire around the nose of the pliers that just happened to be the exact same width as the original staples.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Yeah I think it probably is better from the wheel side, it looks cleaner. Now how about those rear body seals? :bore4

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not trying to steal this thread, but something related to it, what does anyone think about how those staple holes were made initially?? I would think that would have been some pretty powerful tool to put holes in metal like that, Carmine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just checked my 63 Belair, Baltimore car. Flaps are on the engine side. The picture I posted above was an inner wheel well from a Baltimore car also. But I do like the looks of the flap on the wheel side better.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Design intent from 1961 PAD was the engine side of the wheel house. The embossment was probably put in to help locate the seal and provide a flat surface to staple to. Design best practice would be to staple into the softer material and fold the legs over the harder stuff. The seal allowed full travel of the suspension while minimizing "wheel wash" hitting the engine when driving on wet roads. Mis builds at the plant were and are a reality. I worked with Baltimore for about 4 years and they were great but I would catch them mis building. Sometimes it was harmless and sometimes it caused problems.

1961 PAD 1.jpeg

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All the cars I have parted out all had the shelds attached from the top side of the wheel well. For the staples I went to the welding supply and purchased some stainless steel welding rod in the same diameter as the original staples then used a set of square nose pliers to bend the SS wire around the nose of the pliers that just happened to be the exact same width as the original staples.
I reread my post and realized I was wrong the flaps have all been on the top side (engine side).

1438694888479101726955.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Well now I'm confused again. Glad we could set this straight. :D

No comments on the rear body seals? I have to put those on soon as my bumpers will be here. :love

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I use stainless steel welding rod and make my own staples(bend them with a needle nose pliers) -match the original staple holes in the inner fenders (drill them out one size larger) to fit the stainless welding rod size. I think the stainless welding rod has a 32 number on it - I can look -it comes in 2 ft sections. The staples that come with the flaps are too short with the thicknesses of the flaps and the inner fender added to together.
Also the stainless welding rod will never rust. Use small pieces of 2 by 4 and rags/towels (to not damage your inner fender paint)to bend the staples to make the staples hold the flaps really tight to the inner fenders.
You have to drill through the flaps to get the staples in the right place and "make the holes"
Paul