New Gears - Questions

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had a new set of 4.11 US Gear gears installed in my posi case. New side and pinion races and bearings were installed. The shop sets up alot of 9" stuff and some 12 and 10 bolts as well. They have a very good rep. The do set the gears up with mics like they are supposed to be set up. The pinion turned rather snugly after the rebuild , but it seemed good and so did the pattern on the ring. I installed the case and filled it with oil. Every thing was good.

This evening I took it for the first easy drive around the block. Every thing seemed good until I let off the gas....then I head a loud vibation. Not metal crashing just a vibration. By the time I got around the block there was a definate whirling sound comming from the rear of the car. I am going to check the carrier bearing to make sure that it is correct, but beyond that you guys have any ideas of what might be going on???

Yes, I do plan to call the shop and return the case to them.

TomO

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
something went wrong with the install...preload incorrect or something. Have them go through it again I guess? :dunno

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I put my car up in the air some and ran it before going out. Might try this an see if you can locate the noise :dunno

FARO72CS

Well Known Member
Pinions

Maybe they didn't get the proper crush on the pinon sleeve as this will indicate a snug pinion movement by hand, or they forget and used the old one with new bearings, not good. It can show a good heal to toe contact until you put it in and load it up by driving. Its always good to preload the side bearings with a dial indicator by laying it on the side with the ring gear down which makes for better seating of the side brgs.:dunno