New Guy in Ohio

James jones

Well Known Member
I remember the first week I had that car. Gas was around 34 cents a gallon. The car had a 20 gallon gas tank on it. I burned up 3 tanks of gas that first week which was 60 gallons. This was just from riding around durham that week. I really loved that car. I used to take it to a self-service car wash near by to wash it. While there, I would remove the thermostat and flush out the radiator and engine block. The car only had 42,000 miles on it and still smelled new. Sometimes I would take it by a station for gas. Often I would ask the guy if he would check the oil. I loved the expression on his face when he saw those beautiful chome valve covers which I kept polished. Most cars my this time were running 396-427 style motors and A 409 was a rare thing to see. I probably would have a hard time using a clutch now. Those were some good times before I got into the work-career obligations.

James jones

Well Known Member
Thanks la hot rod. That was just something I’ve always remembered. I always thought you could tell if a car was original if a 63 had that on the dipstick. I’m glad you are still driving one. I haven’t driven a 409 powered car since 1980. Hope you are ok. James jones

Reactions: 327

James jones

Well Known Member
Going back to the 63 409ss dipstick, when I bought my 64 409 ss I don’t recall that dipstick having 409 ss stamped into it. Does anyone know if that style of dipstick on the 62, 64 and 65 had 409 ss stamped into them or was it unique to the 63 models? James Jones

James jones

Well Known Member
Thanks skip, I had that car from 1976 to 1980 when I sold it. I drove that car very little due to life issues at that time. In fact, I don’t think I ever had that car serviced. Thanks skip. Hope you are ok. James Jones

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There are a couple rubber seals that seal the rear main cap to the block, those can cause a problem also.
Under the rear main cap are 2 short notches. Small rubber bars come with either the overhaul set of the pan set. If they're not installed, it will leak. Only fix is to drop the pan and rear cap. Almost easier to pull the motor.
Bob

James jones

Well Known Member
Hey nc pop, I’ve been meaning to give a call but it just got by me. Sorry. Had several health issues. My doctor at the v.a. Is worried about me falling and going to a nursing home. I mean I’m just 75 but some of the meds I’m on- I’ve started to weAn myself off of to reduce any chance of falling. I just have never thought about that kind of stuff. My walking hasn’t been real good for about the last 8 months. I’ve just got all these things on my mind that I’ve just lost interest I
In this web site. I want to start putting some things on again as I miss chatting with everyone. I’ll call you when I get a chance. Your friend, James jones