No spark

Victorniner

Well Known Member
So figured I,d start a new thread for this one got engine back together found TDC set dist went to start and no spark not even at top of coil have 12v at pos. side of coil when key is in on position what should my ohm reading be between terminals of ballast resistor? Figure might as well start at beginning

Victorniner

Well Known Member
Msd ready to run and 12 v both terminals of ballast resistor when key is in on position haven't tried when cranking meter red 2 ohms when testing between terminals on resistor one side disconnected lol ran great before I pulled manifold I,m sure it's something easy thanks

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If you are getting a ohms reading I would say the resistor is good, not common to fail and make more resistance it generally fails to a open.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
Thanks that's what I was wondering so onto next component pulled coil wire and put metal in end and stuck to coil had somebody crank no spark

425/409ER

Well Known Member
MSD ready to run distributors are junk. I had a brand new one on our 409 that sheet the bed on startup, MSD said too bad out of warranty. I had to take the guts out of my SB one and swap it over to get the car running. Just bypass it and use a good 6A box it will work better anyway.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes it does and it's most often what fails in these units.By pass it and wire the pick up to a 6AL or simular ign. box.

Victorniner

Well Known Member
oh well you know what I get when i assume the style. just saw the external coil and made that assumption will get my glasses on and see tonite when i get home thanks for the heads up btw the ballast resistor is connected

Victorniner

Well Known Member
Ok so I have a MSD 8393 and it's running thru a ballast resistor to coil ran great before I pulled distributor so what do I need to buy to ether re wire or replace ignition module thanks

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
There is a pickup coil with two wires, it will be close to the center of the distributor. Hook those up to a MSD 6A or 6AL box.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
There is a pickup coil with two wires, it will be close to the center of the distributor. Hook those up to a MSD 6A or 6AL box.
Use the trigger only instructions. No need to gut any of the wires just route the two wires as James said and make up weather pak connection. After being left stranded along the road with a MSD crap module I bypassed it and use my ready to run distributor as a trigger only.