North Texas Machine Shop Recommendations (or warnings)?

Looking for input on a competent machine shop in Texas (North, South, and East) or the Ark-La-Tex area.

Specifically, someone who has later model computer driven honing machines, etc. Need a block decked, squared, bored, and honed....with torque plates and correct grit finish for the latest and greatest ring technology.

Anybody got a recommendation?

Thanks

Not too many machine shop have the 348-409 torque plates. what are you building ? no four bolt mains :scratch

Nope, no 4 bolt mains. 10.25-10.5cr 476 incher, with the edelbrock heads (cleaned up), custom one-off sheet metal front entry fuel injection intake, hyd. roller 238 int @ .050, 250 exh @ .o50 114 separation advanced 5, custom stainless headers. Should land somewhere in the 575hp range. Putting it in a '63 SWC corvette....like chevrolet should have to begin with. Street car. Nothing special but I'm not interested in spraying mosquitos.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Looking for input on a competent machine shop in Texas (North, South, and East) or the Ark-La-Tex area.

Specifically, someone who has later model computer driven honing machines, etc. Need a block decked, squared, bored, and honed....with torque plates and correct grit finish for the latest and greatest ring technology.

Anybody got a recommendation?

Thanks

Arch, Precision Engine Service-Dennis has been doing work for me on 348/409s for almost 40 years. Knows his S--t. Austin, Texas-512 451 1663. you can't be in a hurry-stays busy.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Arch, Precision Engine Service-Dennis has been doing work for me on 348/409s for almost 40 years. Knows his S--t. Austin, Texas-512 451 1663. you can't be in a hurry-stays busy.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s
Key words - don't be in a hurry.
Few things move quickly when building or working with these puppies.

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Try to give Ronnie Russell a PM.....he has had a machine shop in east Tx doing his work....am thinking around Greenville but not sure.
Also....don't be in any hurry.....from what I understand he is very good but you will need to wait your turn.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Tony Schafer at Day Automotive in Independence Missouri (near Kansas City) has everything you need plus the experience from working with performance 409s for decades. He does high end W's all year round. It can take a while as it's a one man shop (plus Huey at the desk) but the end product is top shelf and precise. He just did the bottom end on my 1962 QB block. There is an occasional Z-11 engine/heads in his shop. I currently have a QA block there that needs two sleeves. I trust him and his boring bar to the utmost.

So, it's going in a SWC, eh? That should be most interesting! I'd be interested in learning what modifications you would need to make to the '63 in stuffing the 409 in there :). Got any pics?

Cheers! TomK

rh4414

Arch, the machine shop is in Lavon Texas. Watt Bigham is the owner and he does good work. 972-849-7771 His work load can get pretty heavy sometimes and it might take longer then one would think but he's worth the wait if you have the time. Ron Haffner 972-658-5341