NOS 409!! WOW

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I saw this on ebay and thought I'd share it. A true in the crate 409? Is it anyone on this site that owns it? Really cool but too much coin for me I'm sure. Here's the ebay item #350490733887 and some of the ad. There are some pictures too.:cool:

1962-1964 409 -425HP N.O.S. In The Original Crate Short Block

For you Hard Core Chevrolet 409 or Muscle Car Collectors this is a must have for your collection. This is a Genuine Chevrolet N.O.S. still in the original shipping box short block assembly. These were discontinued by Chevrolet In August of 1977 at that time Chevrolet had 5 in their warehouse and they sent a letter to their dealers they were closing out all of their obsolete engines,the 5 409-425‘s were on the list and were sold in a couple of days to various people around the U.S..This is one of those engines,it has been stored in a very dry garage in California for the last 34 years. If you want a virgin 409-425 you won‘t find better. All of the factory inspection,I.D. and break-in in instruction tags are still wired to the engine. The front pad has never been stamped and the factory broach marks are very visible. There are various chalk marks on both sides of the block. There are various markings on the top of the pistons and a green stripe on the back of the block. What a museum display this would make. The block is casting #3844422 and has the “X” cast on the front of the block .We posted a lot of photos so look them over and ask any questions you have. The engine can be picked-up at our store or we can ship. Contact us with your address for a shipping quote. The crate is stenciled with a weight of 347lb. It also has a number of other stencils in various spots on the exterior such as 409 PASS 3865807 Partial Eng. The crate is made of thin wood like an old orange crate. We would place the whole package in a larger crate for shipping by truck.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just my opinion.........

It is very cool......... but for the money it's not an idea. As soon as you put it together and fire it there is no difference between it and a 409 that's bored .030.

Dave

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
A salesman of mine years ago claimed to have a complete 409/425 in a G.M. crate. I never saw it but he said many times it was not for sale. He had it for years.

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
It's up to $4,905. That to me is crazy for a block, crank, rods and pistons. Unless it's going on display at a museum or something. Just like Dave said "As soon as you put it together and fire it there is no difference between it and a 409 that's bored .030."

dynoray

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It's up to $4,905. That to me is crazy for a block, crank, rods and pistons. Unless it's going on display at a museum or something. Just like Dave said "As soon as you put it together and fire it there is no difference between it and a 409 that's bored .030."

hey bob! lets go with the new blocks........! just my opinion,but if thats one of the last blocks made,shouldnt it be a 656 (1965) casting?

dean409

Well Known Member
W wow with a capital W motor. I graduated in 1977. I owned my '60 Impala 348 powerslush from '75 to '87. Whenever I needed parts for the 348 I had to prelude my request with "this part will only be in the truck catalog" because the parts didn't exist according to Chevy. Modern info of cross parts (SBC front seal, SBC oil pump and screen, SBC fuel pump, distributor guts, SBC water pump guts) wasn't there.

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
hey bob! lets go with the new blocks........! just my opinion,but if thats one of the last blocks made,shouldnt it be a 656 (1965) casting?

No kidding!! I forgot about the new aluminum 409!! They're only $5,000. ( as long as we're dreaming we might as well dream big!)

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I am sure the bidders have big plans for that short block since it has a blank pad. The internals will need to have the patina removed. Leo

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A few years ago I bid on another one of these and it made it to $5600.00 IIRC and they lost me a ways back.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am just wondering, what would you have to do to get this thing running? :coffee

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I am just wondering, what would you have to do to get this thing running? :coffee

Looks like a water pump, heads, intake,carb(s),oil pan, dist.,headers, and I know I'm leaving some things out but alot of $$$ yet to be spent if you wanted this motor to be complete.:rub:cool:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,and that dosent the parts and machine work to that "new" 409.no way would you put all that money on the "correcct"pieces and expect it to live with out going thru that bottom end with a fine toothed micrometer.:deal

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks, I understand that part of it.......but what about the engine itself, by this I mean, sitting there all those years, the engine must of oxidide in certian areas, as shown in some of the pics around the crank or am I just seeing smoke with no fire? I'm just curious........:scratch

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thats what we mean,Randy..A complete tear down,block cleaning,hone,with new rings,rear seal,crank cleaning.The pistons,bearings,ect.should be fine,bu t I'd ceartianly make sure the clearences were right,and a balance job wouldnt hurt.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I worked at Chevrolet in 1977 and I vagley remember getting that bulletin from GMPD in Bethpage New York. The ironic thing was that we had one in our parts dept that sat for over a year without any interest. It was still there when I left that dealership in 1980 to go over to Cadillac. That makes the total of 6 known 409 short blocks. COULD THERE BE MORE ??? MOST CERTAINLY !!!!!:deal

Butch :crazy:cheers

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ah...now I understand. You would really have to know your stuff, a machine shop , tools and lots of $$$ !! :doh I was just curious . So, who would want that W, unless you have plenty of $$$ to spend and need something to do? What would be the value, or as they say today "value added" besides the $$$ value of having such a engine? know what I mean? :coffee
Thanks

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I see this NEW short block as a deal, you guys pay about $2K for a used empty block, or I see them go for that. Well this one is new, go find a new one.
I think he's looking for close to $7K maybe a little too high, I think $5k is reasonable based on previous selling prices.